All About Baking!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

There is also a shortage of dry yeast because so many people are baking breads and rolls

I ordered some from shoppe a few days ago. Coming from Manila. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Does anyone know where to find vanilla extract?  A friend gave my wife some vanilla flavor, but that is not as good, from what I read.

There is also a shortage of dry yeast because so many people are baking breads and rolls.  We just got access to Olongapo last Monday, and my wife found some at All About Baking.  They did not have vanilla extract in stock and he said the yeast just arrived after being out since the quarantines started and they reopened.

Sounds good OMW! Back in BC (Before Covid), I found pure vanilla extract and yeast at G-Mall grocery here. S & R carried McCormick "Vanilla Flavour," which has the extract in it along with the added "flavour." But it works great in everything I've baked with it. Almond extract seems to be very powerful and, when I used a hair too much in my brownie recipe, it gave it a fairly strong aroma and taste that just didn't quite do the same as the vanilla.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Not a recipe, but....

As mentioned in several topics, many people are baking during this quarantine time.  Growing up and until she met me, my wife had never had an oven, so never baked like we do in the U.S.  She still didn't use the oven much, but now she is really getting into it.  She has made some nice carrot cake, banana bread, cakes and cupcakes.  The kids and I have baked cookies a few times.

She made a double layer chocolate cake from scratch, for my daughter's birthday.  My oldest daughter helped her with the icing and decoration.imageproxy.php?img=&key=3dca690cb0bbc913

P1010604 (2)-2937x3916.JPG P1010602 (2)-1257x1676.JPG

She got the recipe online some place, and the cake was excellent!  It stayed super moist for the whole week it took us to finish it and it's sister, a single layer square cake (that would have been a third layer if we choose that route).

Only one small problem.  There is currently a shortage of vanilla extract and vanilla flavor.  Same in your area?  The recipe called for it in the cake and icing, and I read that you could substitute almond extract.  My wife found some, and put about 1/3 in, of what was called for vanilla extract.  The cake had a distinct almond aroma to it, but was still very good!

Does anyone know where to find vanilla extract?  A friend gave my wife some vanilla flavor, but that is not as good, from what I read.

There is also a shortage of dry yeast because so many people are baking breads and rolls.  We just got access to Olongapo last Monday, and my wife found some at All About Baking.  They did not have vanilla extract in stock and he said the yeast just arrived after being out since the quarantines started and they reopened.

All About Baking is my wife's new favorite store!

On My Way your post is amazing, its like exactly my situation to a T, Absolutely identical, the only problem I have is my weight has increased and I am disobeying Doc Berry on my sugar intake.

Vanilla  extract she informs me is at supermarkets here.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don, Tommy vanilla extract is awful stuff but if it's all you got then… 

Have you asked some of the local bakery shops for real vanilla. They may know of a place that stocks it or can order it for you?

Adding a small amount of Saigon Vietnamese Cinnamon Powder mates well to vanilla favor in some recipes like chocolate chip cookies. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, RBM said:

On My Way your post is amazing, its like exactly my situation to a T, Absolutely identical, the only problem I have is my weight has increased and I am disobeying Doc Berry on my sugar intake.

Vanilla  extract she informs me is at supermarkets here.

Normally vanilla extract and flavor can be had most places, but there is a shortage.  You can get flavor on Lazada.

I gained a lot of weight from the beginning but I restarted keto a week ago and dropped 5 kg!  The first week is usually a ot of weight loss and then is slows.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Don, Tommy vanilla extract is awful stuff but if it's all you got then… 

Have you asked some of the local bakery shops for real vanilla. They may know of a place that stocks it or can order it for you?

Adding a small amount of Saigon Vietnamese Cinnamon Powder mates well to vanilla favor in some recipes like chocolate chip cookies. 

You lost me.  You said vanilla extract is awful stuff.  Did you mean that vanilla flavor is awful stuff?  That is the one with all the artificial stuff.

You used the term "real vanilla" and from what I can find, "real vanilla" = vanilla extract.

We only have the one baking shop I mentioned and they are out of stock.

My sister used to be a professional baker and still bakes a lot.  She says the McCormick vanilla extract is on the low end of the quality spectrum and highly recommends Mexican vanilla extract.

https://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Natural-Vanilla-Extract-Gluten-Free/dp/B005MIWPGC/ref=sxin_7_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-dmFuaWxsYSBleHRyYWN0-ac_d_rm&crid=1YD4G7LL5OAHP&cv_ct_cx=vanilla+extract&dchild=1&keywords=vanilla+extract&pd_rd_i=B005MIWPGC&pd_rd_r=9681f158-48f7-43e9-9827-9923462c4492&pd_rd_w=3kTbd&pd_rd_wg=DRgUb&pf_rd_p=a0516f22-66df-4efd-8b9a-279a864d1512&pf_rd_r=AH5QMM55TTVJ42PZZ3ZB&psc=1&qid=1591423894&sprefix=vanil%2Caps%2C347&sr=1-1-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

https://www.amazon.com/Mexican-Vanilla-Molina-Vainilla-Vanillin/dp/B01B02F2I6/ref=sxin_9_ac_d_rm?ac_md=3-2-bWV4aWNhbiB2YW5pbGxhIGV4dHJhY3Q%3D-ac_d_rm&crid=1YD4G7LL5OAHP&cv_ct_cx=vanilla+extract&dchild=1&keywords=vanilla+extract&pd_rd_i=B01B02F2I6&pd_rd_r=78205b54-c154-410f-897a-5c10261a8f0c&pd_rd_w=PzcY0&pd_rd_wg=6GO5n&pf_rd_p=a0516f22-66df-4efd-8b9a-279a864d1512&pf_rd_r=XH81JZH6J1CPPF6322Q7&psc=1&qid=1591495477&sprefix=vanil%2Caps%2C347&sr=1-3-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Normally vanilla extract and flavor can be had most places, but there is a shortage.  You can get flavor on Lazada.

I gained a lot of weight from the beginning but I restarted keto a week ago and dropped 5 kg!  The first week is usually a ot of weight loss and then is slows.

Friend of mine in Mactan has seen an unbelievable  improvement  since Keto. He is on his into his 3rd year and slowly going carnivorous as is Doctor Berry. All his number stack up unlike before, plus his aches and pains which were crippling have disappeared. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don you are correct. I fat fingered vanilla extract meaning to say vanilla flavoring.

We bottle our own with vanilla beans and vodka. Madagascar beans are not cheap but those with some reasonably good vodka is great stuff. 

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I do not even know anyone with an oven...  :tiphat: