Quarantine Wine

jimeve
Posted
Posted

My replacement sling-tops came today, a bit fiddly to put on specially the tiny nut. Would I need special type bottles? because of the carbonation or would wine bottles do?

I put some on beer bottles but the wife said they look pangit. 

insite
Posted
Posted

I have decided not to buy these for the moment.

My mate here uses 500 ml coke or sprite bottles which are ideal apparently.

A 1L bottle would also work perfectly however if open and closing you may loose much of the sparkle and if you half fill them they take up a lot of fridge space.

You might have a similar problem with wine bottles.

My problem is finding the 500 ml bottles full or empty !

• Like 1

insite
Posted
Posted

Found them bottles today @ 7/11 so they are ready when empty for the second batch started Friday

I don't drink coke much but I have a solution for that ........

I was introduced by a Portuguese friend to a drink they called Catemba - it is drunk in many of the Hispanic countries but under different names.

• Large glass filled with ice.
  • 50/50 red wine to coke.
  • Slice of lemon.

If you have not tried it you might be surprised - its quiet delicious - I am quiet partial to it myself.

https://drinksfeed.com/is-yours-a-red-wine-and-cola/

500ml coke.JPEG

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)

I started to make Ginger beer. wife has grown some in the garden so we dug them up, washed and scrubbed them in warm water, chopped into slices, boil 10 liters of drinking water, throw in some cinnamon sticks some limes ,1 kilo of white sugar. Bring to the boil, simmer for 10 mins. Leave to cool down then sieve into a fermenting vessel, add Champaign yeast.

Now the waiting game, should take 1 to 2 weeks to ferment. By then I hope to have some bottles. Got plenty of beer bottles just worried about the carbonation. supposed to keep in fridge to stop further carbonation.

Edited by jimeve
added some limes
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, insite said:

Found them bottles today @ 7/11 so they are ready when empty for the second batch started Friday

I don't drink coke much but I have a solution for that ........

I was introduced by a Portuguese friend to a drink they called Catemba - it is drunk in many of the Hispanic countries but under different names.

• Large glass filled with ice.
  • 50/50 red wine to coke.
  • Slice of lemon.

If you have not tried it you might be surprised - its quiet delicious - I am quiet partial to it myself.

https://drinksfeed.com/is-yours-a-red-wine-and-cola/

500ml coke.JPEG

my bil's drink coke with Red Horse, never tried it. Now I know how to drink some rough red wine.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, jimeve said:

@insite Are the coke bottles plastic or glass?  Need to get some bottles for my Ginger beer, only got tanduay bottles not sure they would take the pressure.

insite
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

@insite Are the coke bottles plastic or glass?  Need to get some bottles for my Ginger beer, only got tanduay bottles not sure they would take the pressure.

The bottles are plastic - have not tried them yet but I am assured they work well - just dont overfill.

Got an email from this property website yesterday - looks like we should get out of beer and cider and into wine and whiskey :hystery:

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 12.16.03 PM.png

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Tested my ginger beer, bottled one using a beer bottle, left it overnight to carbonate flicked the sling top off and I got a geyser. A bit to lively and a bit to strong (taste) Strength abv 6%.I think.

Took a hydrometer reading OG of 1,040 and FG 1,010.

insite
Posted
Posted

Only one night carbonation - I left mine as advised for 6 days before trying - what do you put the gusher down to ?

I decanted a second batch today into the 500 ml coke bottles and added 1ts of sugar - will try some mid to late next week.

I also started a new batch using Cran Apple - will be interesting to see how that pans out

viber_image_2020-06-20_13-47-43.jpg

viber_image_20 20-06-20_13-47-43.jpg

viber_image_2020-06-20_13-47-42.jpg

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Ginger beer is renowned for it's over carbonation, I'm going to let it ferment a few more days then bottle one or two, this time I will put them in the fringe over night.

Also added two more liters of water to dilute the taste, too much ginger added when doing the mashing.

I can't get hold of those 3 liter bottles here, biggest I'v seen only 2 liters.

• Like 1