Politically Correct

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Apparently, you can no longer use BC (Before Christ) or AD (Ad Deum or After Christ).  This might offend non-Christians like Muslims, Buddhists and Atheists.  The new correct term is BCE (Before Common Era) and CE (Common Era).  Another example is Chairman has been changed to Chairperson or Chair.  Gender neutrality is also in vogue.  Hooray for Filipinos!  We are ahead of everyone.  The native language does not really distinguish "she" and "he".  Male forum members might be referred to as "she" when Filipinos speak English. No offense.  It is simply something lost in translation.  

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Anno Domini.  In the year of Our Lord, is the common translation.

Before Current Era / Before (the) Christian Era.... is the way  I learned to interpret these items.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah, the BCE thing has been gaining in popularity for years now (although it started in the 1700s).  I honestly do not see the point. I never picked up on the BCE...  The current calendar is based on a fictional book, but I really do not care what the date is called ha ha. 

But I am an old stick in mud. I still like 2 spaces after a period, when typing. Even though the computer will remove 1 if you add the 2nd. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Anno Domini.  In the year of Our Lord, is the common translation.

Before Current Era / Before (the) Christian Era.... is the way  I learned to interpret these items.

You are correct.  No wonder I failed high school Latin more than 50 years ago.  My mother kept insisting she wanted to give one of her eight children to God.  I got out of going into the priesthood by pointing out I couldn't speak their language.  

• Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

The native language does not really distinguish "she" and "he".

One of the most irritating aspects of living here.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

The native language does not really distinguish "she" and "he".

And yet  there are Filipinas and Filipinos whereas there are only Brits or Americans or Canadians with no gender attached.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And yet  there are Filipinas and Filipinos whereas there are only Brits or Americans or Canadians with no gender attached.

Grammatical language gender indicators exist is some languages and are absent of buried in context in others. The 'o' and 'a' endings in Spanish indicate Masc. and Fem.

I'm not sure, but I use the term 'Pinoy' when I want to refer to a group of Filipino/Filipina people.  Sometimes the term 'Filipino' is used as an all gender inclusive, like 'Canadian'.

The four grammatical gender classifications are, masculine, feminine, common and neuter.  

I have no idea what they would classify the newly self-proclaimed  L,G,B,T  people as.  The traditional distinction between natural and grammatical genders has yet to work it out.

A person could research all this, if interested or really bored and in need of something to do. Ha-ha.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Another example is Chairman has been changed to Chairperson or Chair. 

And rightly so.  

Mankind is a slightly more difficult one because it's clear there is two genders included - I'm not buying into there being any more than 2 though!

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm safe from the PC brigade as 9 times out of 10 I don't even know what day it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm not buying into there being any more than 2 though!

I could accept a third, as in the case below where gender would be "both".  I could also accept a forth, if someone was born with no sex organs whatsoever.  That would be "none".

Germany's third gender law

. . .  Lynn, 34 -- who has asked CNN to identify him by his preferred name -- was born with both male and female sex organs. . .  (Loads more about it at the link)