Politically Correct

graham59
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I have no idea what they would classify the newly self-proclaimed  L,G,B,T  people as.  The traditional distinction between natural and grammatical genders has yet to work it out.

I believe 'mutant' already covers those. :89:

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm not buying into there being any more than 2 though!

For humans I agree but there are species that have more than 2 genders.  

Clam shrimp have three, there are male shrimp and two types or varieties of hermaphrodite, which either self-fertilize or mate with males but cannot mate with each other but there are no female clam shrimp.

The protozoan Tetrahymena thermophila has that beat easily, they have seven distinct "sexes" that can  mate and swap genes (which with which is a bit complicated and not really relevant here).

And it gets even weirder when you look at fungi... some of them have thousands of genders.

But politically correct genders just don't make sense to me.  For humans there are males, females and a small percentage of people who are born 'intersex' with mixed sexual characteristics (not necessarily hermaphrodite, that's just one type and not common in humans). 

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I could accept a third, as in the case below where gender would be "both".  I could also accept a forth, if someone was born with no sex organs whatsoever.  That would be "none".

Germany's third gender law

Deleted.  My "funny" comment was before I read the story.  Very sad for a child to go through all that. 

Edited by OnMyWay

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

MY ex wife actually changed species.  She turned into a right cow. :hystery:

• Haha 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, GeoffH said:

For humans I agree but there are species that have more than 2 genders.  

Clam shrimp have three, there are male shrimp and two types or varieties of hermaphrodite, which either self-fertilize or mate with males but cannot mate with each other but there are no female clam shrimp.

The protozoan Tetrahymena thermophila has that beat easily, they have seven distinct "sexes" that can  mate and swap genes (which with which is a bit complicated and not really relevant here).

And it gets even weirder when you look at fungi... some of them have thousands of genders.

But politically correct genders just don't make sense to me.  For humans there are males, females and a small percentage of people who are born 'intersex' with mixed sexual characteristics (not necessarily hermaphrodite, that's just one type and not common in humans). 

Some fruits also have 3 genders.  With papaya there are male, female and hermaphrodite.  In an orchard, you eliminate all male plants except for one or two to cross pollinate with females.  The hermaphrodites will take care of themselves.  For backyard cultivation with limited, plant multiple seeds eliminating the males and females when their gender becomes apparent.   

As mentioned you can use Filipino to refer to a collective group of males and females.  Filipina is gender specific.  Same with Pinoy and Pinay.

Americans, Australians, Canadians, Brits, etc. are masculine in the minds of many Filipinos.  The reason is because they encounter mostly males.  If referring to both males and females, the word often used is Foreigners.  Another issue is Filipinos assume you are American unless you correct them regarding nationality.  So take no offense when greeted as, "Hey Joe!"

• Like 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The native language does not really distinguish "she" and "he".  

I always get confused when a Filipino (or Filipina) tells me a very long story about a husband and his wife. When "he" and "she" are used interchangeably, I get lost on who did what to who.

I can usually understand Filipino expressions, such as "her wife" and "his husband," but I'm totally lost when only "he" and "she" are used in a very long story, since both words are not clearly identifying the male from the female (i.e., the husband from the wife).

However, in countries with legalized same-sex marriages, conversations about "her wife" and "his husband" take on a whole different meaning. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Apparently, you can no longer use BC (Before Christ) or AD (Ad Deum or After Christ).  This might offend non-Christians like Muslims, Buddhists and Atheists. 

I'm a non-Christian and I've never been offended by BC And AD. Actually, I find it to be too politically correct to use BCE and CE.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Oranges have two genders... The ones that squirt are female.

• Haha 4

insite
Posted
Posted (edited)

“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”

Oscar Wilde.

Edited by insite
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, insite said:

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”

Hmmm.  Do you read what you write or do you admit to being "most peple"