considering retirement in the philippines.

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/13/2020 at 5:26 AM, sigbin said:

are there any expats living in san carlos, negros?   i am retired and am thinking of retiring in the philippines.  need some input from those expats living there.  thanks!

I lived there 4 years and still have a place there, what pacific info do your require.

As pointed out this forum has a stack of info if one spends time on the search engine.

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

RBM, where is the area your place is located in San Carlos?  Do you still visit?  We built a place in St Vincent in 2006 and visit 1-2 times a year.  Traffic is less but many pedicabs which I don't mind so much as the tricycles when I'm driving.  However, the traffic has grown over the years like most places in PI.  On the good side there have been increasing number of shopping and eating places recently which helps.  Dr and hospitals are basic and for advanced treatments a trip to Bacolod or Cebu will be needed.

Edited by intrepid

obda
Posted
Posted

Where?

malarkyman
Posted
Posted
On 6/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, sigbin said:

hahaaa.  thanks guys.  i'll keep browsing and taking notes.

Yo bro !  not to friendly with newbies here are they :89:  sarcasim seems the norm.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, malarkyman said:

Yo bro !  not to friendly with newbies here are they :89:  sarcasim seems the norm.

I guess you are seeing something that I am not. :89:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, malarkyman said:

The thing is it gets very boring and old fast to answer the same questions over and over every time a new member joins up. Most new members dont read anything in previous threads related to their questions and go straight to ask a question as if its something never asked before. So if someone suggests they use the search box to try to find an answer first I dont think thats a bad thing.

• Like 5

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The thing is it gets very boring and old fast to answer the same questions over and over every time a new member joins up. Most new members dont read anything in previous threads related to their questions and go straight to ask a question as if its something never asked before. So if someone suggests they use the search box to try to find an answer first I dont think thats a bad thing.

Since we don't have a specific FAQ section, the next best thing might be suggesting possible search engine key words that would take new members to the more lengthy replies that many of us have given to repetitive questions at one time or another. 

Many of us could write a chapter length response to some of the more repetitive, generalized queries but don't even bother with a simple response because we know that it  can usually be easily accessed with the most cursory of effort by the poster if he/she typed in a word or phrase inside the very obvious search box.

The reason why that is such an effective tactic, is  that, at any given time the poster is contacting a very limited number of currently active members who have the time and desire to answer. Over the years, many people have taken the time to share their knowledge with all.... current and future members.... and the breadth and depth you get with a 'search' query makes all this available for easy perusal, so the first response to something like...... "What are some good places to retire to ?",  "What does it cost to retire in the PI ? ....... should be to advise the poster to type in a variety of what you would consider good key words to unlock the knowledge vault that already exists. IMO 

Its hard to believe that all of these are literate people who have weak researching skills since they are actively on-line... but I suppose they exist or are just insufficiently motivated to perform the initial stages of the task they are asking others to assist them with or simply do for them.  

So I think the response opener should be,  "What have you thus far entered into the 'search' query box ?"

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

it gets very boring and old fast to answer the same questions over and over every time a new member joins up.

Then just ignore it and let a different member answer it.............problem solved:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Then just ignore it and let a different member answer it.............problem solved:thumbsup:

Generally I do but does not alter the fact that most answers are there in the first place.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Since we don't have a specific FAQ section,

It would have to be updated and that means someone would have to work on it. We used to have one years ago but no one read it. After time with new versions of the forum system it was lost.

• Thanks 2