considering retirement in the philippines.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

We used to have one years ago but no one read it. After time with new versions of the forum system it was lost.

Thanks, I was wondering what happened to it.  I did not see a lot of value in it as things change on a whim in the Philippines as well as being different from region to region.

Things we recommended 10 years ago are often of little value today.  What we see as a repetetive question is a new question in the mind of the person inquiring.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Whilst I understand why new members' questions can be repetitive, it's easy to see how it can come across as being unhelpful if a new member is "told" to review the search box - not everyone is PC literate.  For me, I will answer if I can and want to,ignore if not.  

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Whilst I understand why new members' questions can be repetitive, it's easy to see how it can come across as being unhelpful if a new member is "told" to review the search box - not everyone is PC literate.  For me, I will answer if I can and want to,ignore if not.  

Agree.  A friendlier response to a brand new member would be to give a link to search results and say "The search function works well!  Here are the results when I searched "XXXXXXXX".

However, the search engine is not that great.  Try searching for 13a in any format.  Nada.  If I search "13A visa", it will come back with some 13As but most just posts with just Visa.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Agree.  A friendlier response to a brand new member would be to give a link to search results and say "The search function works well!  Here are the results when I searched "XXXXXXXX".

However, the search engine is not that great.  Try searching for 13a in any format.  Nada.  If I search "13A visa", it will come back with some 13As but most just posts with just Visa.

I got a lot if the 13a word is in the post, if only the word visa is in the post well it cant show both if the other is not there. Most sections of the forum have pinned topics at the top so if you wanted say 13a info maybe the top of the topics list are where to look first. If anyone thinks a topic should be pinned then let us know and we can pin it after we remove any off topic posts.

visa topics.PNG

8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I did not see a lot of value in it as things change on a whim in the Philippines as well as being different from region to region.

I agree and unless someone has the time and dedication to update practicly useless.

4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

A friendlier response to a brand new member would be to give a link to search results and say

New members first few posts need approving. Perhaps someone could put their hand up for a moderators job to approve and post a friendly response at the same time. Are you or someone else willing? Any takers please let me know and I will happily set you up.  :grouphugg:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I got a lot if the 13a word is in the post, if only the word visa is in the post well it cant show both if the other is not there.

I was just using 13a as an example because I remembered that one.  It seems that the search engine does not work for small words.  I was in Unread Topics and your post was at the top.  In it, you had "WTF" and "ban".  The search engine returns nothing for these.

26 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Any takers please let me know and I will happily set you up. 

Can I do it if I am in the grave?  My wife will put me under if I spend any more time on the forum!  :shock_40_anim_gif:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I was just using 13a as an example because I remembered that one.  It seems that the search engine does not work for small words.  I was in Unread Topics and your post was at the top.  In it, you had "WTF" and "ban".  The search engine returns nothing for these.

It seems to work if words are put in a phrase more so if small words are used. The other option the forum would have to pay monthly for advanced search and it would not be worth it.

20 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Can I do it if I am in the grave?  My wife will put me under if I spend any more time on the forum!  :shock_40_anim_gif:

That's what I was looking for, someone who is here often. Where will I leave the keys? :thumbsup:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

We used to have one years ago but no one read it.

Jeez, I remember you tasked that to me, spent days working on that thing. But that was almost 10 years ago, I doubt any of it would be relevant now. There definitely wasn't a covid section. Oh well, dust to dust....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1