Local Buy & Sell websites

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I don't know is any/many of the forum members living here in the PI bother to use the 'FB'  (your city & prov.) Buy & Sell websites for your local areas, since they have been sparse in the past re postings.

I did join one early in the year out of curiosity for my local city, since so much of what is for sale second hand is too remote for consideration. Most of the postings are of little interest, but since 90% of my FB scroll is rubbish, i figured that more of the local variety might improve the usual personal political and vanity postings that clutter and degrade the site.

Actually.... I pulled up the site (No Craigslist, etc. here where I live) to check it out and deferred to sign in/up for it, but 2 weeks later they just added it to my FB page w/o me providing any real data to them. But that's OK.

The one thing I recently noticed  starting a few days ago is...... maraming pagkain/ much food... for sale all of a sudden. Bulk fruit and vegetables. A large number of new food sellers that are offering prepared dishes for home delivery... like embutedo (sp)/ which are comadre started selling to us twice now,  and a large variety of mani, whole spice things, etc.

Normal things that are normally available at local groceries, markets, outside stalls that are now either curtailed somewhat or burdened with covid protective measures that make shopping more time consuming and difficult to execute. 

If you shop locally, have you experienced anything that would account for this apparent shift, or am I just witnessing a local aberration that may be quite temporary ?

We still have passenger limitations on our tricycles and now getting about is much more expensive via that mode, since the drivers make no profit with one passenger if they charge what was the old normal rate. When my wife and our family service trike go to town (he has a licensed and registered trike) many people try to wave them down since there are so few trike drivers roaming the roads.   Why bother doing what seems to them a money losing waste of time..... unless they vastly overcharge the legal rate to pay for the gas and the lack of customers. With exorbitant rates now, there is less use of trikes.

My wife tells me that the mall trike drivers ask what you will pay now instead of settling for normal rates. If they don't like your offer.... no deal.  Of course if you are wealthy and have your own vehicle.... you don't encounter this.

Any personal experiences with these social changes ?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

There's certainly more online sales going on but my biggest annoyance is PM me and I'll show you how to earn $5000 per day.  There's literally hundreds of these popping up. Or I'm so happy that I met invester Mr/Miss X, I'm now making great money.  WhatsApp me for information and clowns fall for it. 

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

A lot more of the more expensive restaurants delivering to my area on Grabfood, used to only be about 8, now there's 50+.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

The one thing I recently noticed  starting a few days ago is...... maraming pagkain/ much food... for sale all of a sudden. Bulk fruit and vegetables. A large number of new food sellers that are offering prepared dishes for home delivery... like embutedo (sp)/ which are comadre started selling to us twice now,  and a large variety of mani, whole spice things, etc.

Same thing here!

We have a neighborhood FB group and during strict lockdown, neighbors started baking and selling, or buying bulk vegetables and reselling them, etc., etc.  Then when the lockdown eased, more sellers from Olongapo started appearing in our group, even though technically it is supposed to be residents only.  It was getting so bad, flooded with food posts, that the admin started a new group, Subic Bay Farmers Market (Food sales).  In two weeks there are 700 members!  Food posting in the regular neighborhood group is no longer allowed.  Today, I stopped following the new group because my FB feed was overwhelmed with all this food!

We have not tried any excepted for some fresh baked bread a few weeks ago.  Now there are many dishes to choose from, mostly from Olongapo.  Most of the look very tasty.

All of a sudden Ube Pandesol is the hot item.  Our neighbors across the street are very wealthy, but they bake and sell once a week, I guess to kill the time.  My wife made some ube pandesol a few days back and it looked very good, but I didn't try it due to my strict keto diet.

graham59
Posted
Posted

Poor people are trying to make a living.

Some of my relatives are doing the same.

What would you do if you had no job, no income, and a family to feed ?   :whatever:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I don't know is any/many of the forum members living here in the PI bother to use the 'FB'  (your city & prov.) Buy & Sell websites for your local areas, since they have been sparse in the past re postings.

I just use Facebook Market place and set it up to 20 km distance from home so dont have to look at everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

An alternative to FB Buy and Sell is a very popular local (to Cagayan de Oro) FB Barter section called CDO Barter Community. Probably similar ones nationwide.
Among many interesting items I have seen offered include a 1953 Mercedes and a house and farm lot
It is perhaps a sign of the times that many items requested for barter include food and grocery items. Cash transactions are not allowed.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My wife tells me she is in discussion with someone who wants to trade her aquarium and guppies for some Milo. :sad:

• Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

An alternative to FB Buy and Sell is a very popular local (to Cagayan de Oro) FB Barter section called CDO Barter Community. Probably similar ones nationwide.
Among many interesting items I have seen offered include a 1953 Mercedes and a house and farm lot
It is perhaps a sign of the times that many items requested for barter include food and grocery items. Cash transactions are not allowed.

We have Barter here in Iloilo - yes, lots of people looking for groceries etc.  Yakult is a particularly popular item for some reason!  

A lot of fake stuff though so buyer beware! 

• Like 1