No Foreigners Allowed??

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, scott h said:

i would wager by foreigners they mean chinese

Maybe but depends on ones experience. I was talking to a Filipina once about her unit she wanted to rent out. She said no Koreans as she had a Korean tenant once and he was difficult and left the floor so black she spent a lot of time trying to clean it so she had in her head thats what it would be like with all Koreans. So if someone has had a bad experience with some nationality they will probably not want that breed back again.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe but depends on ones experience. I was talking to a Filipina once about her unit she wanted to rent out. She said no Koreans as she had a Korean tenant once and he was difficult and left the floor so black she spent a lot of time trying to clean it so she had in her head thats what it would be like with all Koreans. So if someone has had a bad experience with some nationality they will probably not want that breed back again.

The advertisement most likely refers to Chinese and Koreans unfamiliar with rules in other countries.  I recall the story about Korean tenants living in a Honolulu apartment complex who were using the bathtub for making kimchee.  Neighbors were complaining about the stench from the fermenting cabbage.  The bathtub had to be replaced because of discoloration.  Among Chinese, a big issue is smoking inside the unit and common areas of apartment complexes.  More owners associations are now banning smoking. 

Edited by JJReyes

• 4 months later...
Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
On 6/16/2020 at 11:44 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think you're right.  Living in Korea I find them to be very considerate. But it takes only one bad apple and the landlord lumps all of that nationality into the bad basket.  Long ago when I lived in Germany I took over an apartment from another American woman.  The landlord really didn't want to rent to me because I was an American, but I convinced them to give me a try.  Three years later they were very sad that I had to leave.  Truth be told, the woman who rented the apartment before me really was an "ugly American."  I don't blame the landlords for feeling that way.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
gerrysanders
Posted
Posted

I think one should be free to choose who they do or don't rent too. A property owner must have the right to control his property how one sees fit.
If it means the property owner has done himself a disservice being prejudice against another for any reason, it is he who looses what might have been a good tenant.

It is equally just  that a potential tenant publicly condemn such a property, letting people know this property owner may not be the kind of landlord you'd want to have in the first place.

Each man should be free to decide over his possessions. Not to be forced by some Government dictate that presupposes forcing it's will on one man,  in favour of another, is any more just, moral or ethical. 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, gerrysanders said:

I think one should be free to choose who they do or don't rent too.

Your Location states Canada.  If so, I can understand the frustration.  Here in BC, Canada it was recently on the news that property owners are not only prohibited from discriminating against humans, but now against animals too.  It seems that many landlords were refusing to take people who have pets so the the law is changing to prohibit property owners from disallowing pets.  Animals have rights, LOL.  Just clean up their mess and shudupaboudit. :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, gerrysanders said:

I think one should be free to choose who they do or don't rent too.

Not if it is purely on the grounds of race, surely? 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, scott h said:

But I doubt that the Government has a program that reimburses the property owner when a tenant with a 110 pound pit bull skips out on the deposit and leave 10k worth of damage

Same problem where I am in the state of Victoria, the rental laws changed and now a land lord can't refuse an application due to the potential renter having a pet in most cases (there are small small caveats around large dogs and small condos that don't apply to houses).

When people complained about this the response was "increase the bond to cover it" (except that then the government limited the maximum bond to 4 weeks rent), then it was "use your land lords insurance" (and then the LL insurance providers mostly stopped offering policies that covered pet damage, and the few that were still available weren't affordable).

In theory one could go to VCAT or court and claim damages but in practice a dud tenant isn't going to have wages or savings that are claimable anyway.

It is main reason why when I bought an investment property earlier this year (after selling my house in Victoria) that I bought a condo just over the state border in New South Wales.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3