Should We Be Careful?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

With the new "anti-terror" laws about to pass in PI and the arrest of journalists, should we be concerned about what we post on a forum or even facebook?  Basically, anything critical of the government could be considered a terrorist act.  I'm not sure if that was the intention of the legislation but taking it at face value it could certainly be implemented as such. 

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6791657/philippine-protest-slams-anti-terror-bill/#gsc.tab=0

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

With the new "anti-terror" laws about to pass in PI and the arrest of journalists, should we be concerned about what we post on a forum or even facebook?  Basically, anything critical of the government could be considered a terrorist act.  I'm not sure if that was the intention of the legislation but taking it at face value it could certainly be implemented as such. 

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6791657/philippine-protest-slams-anti-terror-bill/#gsc.tab=0

Especially as non-citizens I think we should be cognizant of the risk in publishing any negative or critical comments regarding the government. 

• Like 4

Jack D
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, BrettGC said:

should we be concerned about what we post on a forum or even facebook? 

Absolutely yes! No matter where you live, governments are watching what we're saying on the web, with special attention being given to Facebook (FB).

I've filled out many U.S. government forms, which include visa applications for the U.S., and each form has questions about Social Media (esp. FB), and they ask for your user names on FB and all other Social Media sites. 

You could choose not to tell them, but when you sign, you are attesting to the fact, under the risk of being fined and/or jailed that all of your answers are truthful.

Edited by Jack D
  • I'm Confused 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

They already use the 'persona non grata'...  So keeping a low profile is always a good idea.  I made the mistake of saying something positive about the PIs on FB and still pissed people off ha ha. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Balisidar said:

It's been pretty much standard practice for savvy ex-pats in any country that they reside in not to get involved in local politics period.

I refuse to talk politics or criticise even if I'm just talking to relatives and that includes talking about U.S. politics as it invites comparisons.

Keep your head down.  Always a wise policy.

I've lived all over the world (US, UK, Singapore, Indonesia) and follow the the same policy but the current situation in PI seems to be becoming extreme.  Now I'm even worried about this thread?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Now I'm even worried about this thread?

Brett my Friend, the thread ( Topic) would not be the problem but some posts may be suspect  :wink:

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup:

• Haha 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I've lived all over the world (US, UK, Singapore, Indonesia) and follow the the same policy but the current situation in PI seems to be becoming extreme.  Now I'm even worried about this thread?

I try to watch it... but if I thought this thread was a threat... I would move to another country ha ha 

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Don't worry Brett the mark of the beast hasn't arrived just yet! 999,

but it's getting pretty close, if you get my drift. :thumbsup:

• Like 1