Should We Be Careful?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, peterfe said:

I think that’s rather sad. That suggests there are a lot of foreigners living here who are critical of Filipinos and their way of life. Maybe it’s easier for me to put things in perspective, having lived/spent some time in some other non-Western countries. To avoid being accused of generalisation or racism, I will use the useful phrase “a number of”

In my experience:

1. Filipinos don’t smell, unlike a number of people in South Asian and Arab countries.

2. Filipinos aren’t always trying to be your “friend” with the sole aim of getting money out of you, unlike a number of people in Sub-Saharan Africa.

3. Filipinos don’t try to shortchange you in shops, unlike a number of people in various countries.

4. Filipinos don’t bore the pants off you by talking about themselves all the time and repeating the same old jokes, unlike a number of Westerners. 

I don't think any of the members here are particularly critical of the people here but how many of us can honestly say we have never made a critical comment about the place?  Honestly speaking, not many I believe.  

peterfe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

The immigration officer then went through his phone looking at photos, messages and Facebook.

Interesting information. Another good reason for not being on Facebook! It would only take a few minutes to read the messages on my phone (you can always delete the older ones).

peterfe
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Posting comments under a real name is bad anywhere unless you are sure what you say is not going to upset someone.

We're maybe not as anonymous as we think. If someone really had it in for you and was willing to do some detective work, I reckon they could find you in many cases based on what you've posted here. People often say things like "Here in Iloilo..." and maybe "in the seven-eleven opposite my house" or something else than would narrow it down. I've only posted fewer than 100 times, but I may well have given away enough information for a persistent person to find me, so there must be a mine of information about people who have posted 10 000 times (and sometimes include a photo).

But relax, folks. I'm sure nobody's got it in for you if your biggest crime is mentioning that you don't like balut!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, peterfe said:

We're maybe not as anonymous as we think. If someone really had it in for you and was willing to do some detective work, I reckon they could find you in many cases based on what you've posted here. People often say things like "Here in Iloilo..." and maybe "in the seven-eleven opposite my house" or something else than would narrow it down. I've only posted fewer than 100 times, but I may well have given away enough information for a persistent person to find me, so there must be a mine of information about people who have posted 10 000 times (and sometimes include a photo).

But relax, folks. I'm sure nobody's got it in for you if your biggest crime is mentioning that you don't like balut!

I'm in Iloilo and there is a 7-Eleven within 7-10 minutes walk - that will narrow it down to anywhere in the city and a good section of the suburban area around it.  I won't put the beer on ice awaiting your knock at the door!

I do agree however that some may post enough information to narrow things down a good bit more but it's still a needle in a haystack situation unless there are no other foreigners around.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm in Iloilo and there is a 7-Eleven within 7-10 minutes walk - that will narrow it down to anywhere in the city

lol, i've got 8,  7/11's in a 2 to 10 minute walk. But I often say which area I live so wont matter much. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

lol, i've got 8,  7/11's in a 2 to 10 minute walk. But I often say which area I live so wont matter much. 

Be careful - peterfe will be at your door before you know it! 

• Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Be careful - peterfe will be at your door before you know it! 

Well it was a waste of time. Liquor ban again, WTF. Must be wrong as I cant find any info of new liquor ban. peterfe bring beer.

• Haha 1

peterfe
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

I won't put the beer on ice awaiting your knock at the door!

I was really talking about somebody posting something incredibly rude and offensive :bash:  (which I’m sure you haven’t :biggrin:) so that the person looking for them would be bringing a pistol and would be unlikely to hang around for the beer.

peterfe
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

peterfe bring beer.

Unfortunately I can only go to Cebu City to go to hospital, but I’ll let you know when I go to have plastic surgery to make me look under 60, and we’ll make a detour to your place with a large consignment of beer. :cheers:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, peterfe said:

I was really talking about somebody posting something incredibly rude and offensive :bash:  (which I’m sure you haven’t :biggrin:) so that the person looking for them would be bringing a pistol and would be unlikely to hang around for the beer.

I get your point about providing too many personal details but it would need to be a lot, lot more than a couple of bits of generic info that would apply to 75% of the people in any given area.