Should We Be Careful?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Sounds okay to me... Knock yourself out...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/20/2020 at 10:21 AM, hk blues said:

I get your point about providing too many personal details but it would need to be a lot, lot more than a couple of bits of generic info that would apply to 75% of the people in any given area.

What about how they tracked down this woman, https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michael-berry/content/2020-06-18-incredible-story-on-how-the-fbi-nabbed-accused-cop-car-arsonist/

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I'm sure that I've posted enough information that my Aussie address could be tracked down easily (being a licensed radio operator means that my address is in the public domain). 

I think it would be harder to track down my Philippines address but given that I've posted photos of the outside of the house, have the city posted in my profile I've made references to the area we live it wouldn't be impossible but it would be time consuming and expensive and honestly I'm just not that interesting.  It's unlikely IMHO,

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I'm sure that I've posted enough information that my Aussie address could be tracked down easily (being a licensed radio operator means that my address is in the public domain). 

I think it would be harder to track down my Philippines address but given that I've posted photos of the outside of the house, have the city posted in my profile I've made references to the area we live it wouldn't be impossible but it would be time consuming and expensive and honestly I'm just not that interesting.  It's unlikely IMHO,

Easier than you think mate.  Back in my navy days working at a certain government agency on my shore postings we'd routinely strip out the meta-data out of digital pictures for the geo and time data.  Every piece of digital media you create has this data embedded, it's no secret, there's even free web-sites out there that will do it for you.  I know we're into "tin-foil hat" territory now but it's widely used in skip-tracing by law enforcement and even debt collection companies as well.  

Same as you, I'm not really that concerned, I'm not that interesting.  

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Every piece of digital media you create has this data embedded, it's no secret, there's even free web-sites out there that will do it for you. 

<SNIP>

Same as you, I'm not really that concerned, I'm not that interesting.  

I actually knew that... but I'd forgotten.  It was a 'feature' of the 'professional' photography editing suite that I used when I was still working and we used it at times to identify touristy type photo locations for company advertising (normally emailed to work by customers). The software also claimed the ability to remove that information but I never used that feature.

It had completely slipped my mind guess I'm getting old :hystery:

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yep...a bit more than a couple of bits of generic info. there. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Generally speaking, I am not too paranoid about all this stuff, but I tend to not be too critical of the Philippines government in a way that will be frowned upon.  I am slightly involved in local government through our neighborhood Facebook group, but if I am critical, I do it in a roundabout way that also throws some praise into the mix.

We have a few foreigner neighbors who do not hold their punches and I worry a little bit about them if I think they are good people.  There are a few asshats that I would be happy to have deported tomorrow.

A guy from around the corner is an Aussie and a good guy overall.  Before the lockdown he was rarely around because he works offshore rigs, but he got stuck here.  He immediately dived into all the local issues on our FB group, and people were like, "Who are you?"  Since then, he has done a lot of charitable work during the COVID lockdown and everybody knows him now.

The reason I thought of this thread is because the Presidential Communications Office was just having a live feed with Salvador Pineda, and the neighbor made a not so nice comment.  I think that is a perfect example of what not to do!

• Like 3