Brit dies in Cebu after being refused treatment.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've been reading a few reports about this on Facebook.  Fingers crossed it's Fake News but not looking that way. 

This British National was named BARRY and sad to say, he died alone with no relatives in Cebu. Yesterday, June 14, 2020, at around 1PM, Barry complained he had dificulty breathing to the management of OASIS Condo and some frirnds, so an ambulance was called and was picked up immediately thereafter. When the ambulance reached the nearest hospital, Chong Hua Mandaue, they were denied treatment and were told to proceed to Chong Hua Hospital Fuente so the ambulance had to go there.

When the ambulance reached Chong Hua Hospital Fuente, they were not recieved at the ER and were just made to wait from 2PM until 10PM. With no alternative, the patient just waited patiently inside the ambulance and had to wait for any word from the management of Chong Hua Hospital, whether he would be admitted or not. The British national passed the time talking to the ambulance crew the whole time (2Pm-10Pm) until later, he suddenly went into cardiac arrest. The crew immediately tried to revive the patient by doing CPR and ACLS (advance cardiac life support) while they informed dispatch of the situation. When an officer of the ambulance company arrived, he appealed to the doctors to treat their patient but was refused by two doctors at the ER saying THEY WERE JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS AND PROTOCOL. PASTILAN!

While the ambulance crew were still reviving the patient, the Chong Hua doctors and nurses just stood and watch as the patient was hanging on to dear life.

The ambulance officer pleaded the Doctors as the patient needed hospital emergency. At this point the ambulance officer was already sorrounded by 5 security guards ready to tackle him. This created a commotion prompting the Hospital medical supervisor to come out of his office and talked to the ambulance officer, after a while, ordered the stretchers out and fetch the British National. But it was too late, he was clinically dead when ER staff fetched him outside the ER compound.

PS: A Caucasian friend of Barry was contacted by the OASIS CONDO management around midnight apparently he is out of the country. A certain Lenny Mills and 3 other friends are currently negotiating with the hospital for his eventual discharge/ cremation soon as they are still contacting his family.

barry.jpg

• Sad 5

graham59
Posted
Posted

If this disgraceful incident is proven to be correct... kindly pass on to the national and international press .

My blood is starting to boil. :angry:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, graham59 said:

If this disgraceful incident is proven to be correct

Happens all the time, witnessed it myself one time here in Manila guy did not die. Also our pinoy nieghbor in his 40s when to 3 or 4 different hospitals and died in a trisykle enroute to the next.............One of the things you have to accept about life here in the PI

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, scott h said:

Happens all the time, witnessed it myself one time here in Manila guy did not die. Also our pinoy nieghbor in his 40s when to 3 or 4 different hospitals and died in a trisykle enroute to the next.............One of the things you have to accept about life here in the PI

Agree - wouldn't even make the news unless it's a very slow news day.  A neighbour of mine, a Filipina, had the same problem in that she went around 3-4 hospitals here and was not admitted to any of them.  Luckily, her condition turned out not to be serious. 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Unfortunate, but true.  I live so far from the city (8 miles ha ha) that in any real emergency I know I would be dead before even getting an ambulance.  It is a risk I accepted when I moved here. It sucks, but that is life in a 3rd world country... 

But to be at the hospital and refused treatment, should not be acceptable anywhere. 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

It sucks, but that is life in a 3rd world country... 

But to be at the hospital and refused treatment, should not be acceptable anywhere. 

Honestly, it happens even in 1st world countries, I read about it happening in Melbourne sometimes... hell it happened to me with Castlemaine Hospital refusing to admit me to emergency from the Ambulance with chest pain (their emergency department was on what is called 'by-pass' which can be activated when they have 'no capacity' for more emergency cases and the ambulance is diverted to the nearest suitable hospital with capacity).

In my case it was over 2 hours before I was finally in an emergency department (one that was 50 kilometers / 30 miles away), luckily the chest pain didn't develop into a full blown heart attack.

In my case the small town hospital ER doctor was on leave and the hospital were unable to get a replacement doctor for that shift so they literally didn't have a doctor in the ER just a couple of nurses who could only deal with minor things so they sent me to the nearest large town.

The issue is that there doesn't seem to be coordination, the ambulance officers didn't know about the Castlmaine ER  not operating and so couldn't proceed direct to Bendigo.

That seems to be similar to the situation in the Philippines, there isn't a central facility which monitors capacity to accept patients so ambulances travel around trying one hospital after another (and yes it's a lot worse in the Philippines than in Australia and happens more but it's the same issue).

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of the 'hospital' situation here in the Phils...and have retired here myself, knowing the risks.

It doesn't make it any more acceptable though, especially in a so-called 'Christian' country.

It seems people are still being refused treatment on 'financial' grounds, a practice that Du30 has already strictly forbidden, during this Covid-19 crisis.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, graham59 said:

It seems people are still being refused treatment on 'financial' grounds, a practice that Du30 has already strictly forbidden, during this Covid-19 crisis.

Maybe it's just that, fear he might have Covid-19, would they of still refused a Filipino in the same situation?

As pointed out everyone who decides to make PI their home should be aware that medical help may not be reached in time, but to be refused treatment is another matter.

Don't know if it's still the case, "Doctors ( of any faith ) take an oath to save lives" in the end we all will answer to a higher authority :shades:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Maybe it's just that, fear he might have Covid-19, would they of still refused a Filipino in the same situation?

As per my post above, my Filipina neighbour was refused treatment as they were concerned about Covid-19

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Don't know if it's still the case, "Doctors ( of any faith ) take an oath to save lives" in the end we all will answer to a higher authority :shades:

He might not be married. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2