Dengue cases down in the Philippines 45%

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hmm last year Dengue killed more people than Coronavirus so far in the Philippines. Just some statistics as I know we love them.

After reporting more than 400,000 dengue fever cases and more than 1700 dengue related deaths in 2019, Philippines health officials reported some good news in 2020 so far–dengue fever cases are down some 45 percent compared to the same period last year.

In an online press briefing on Monday, DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the surveillance report of the department’s epidemiology bureau showed that the number of dengue cases was 46 percent lower than the same time in 2019.

According to a World Health Organization Dengue Situation Update for the Western Pacific Region, the Philippines report a cumulative total 49,234 dengue cases from 1 January to 16 May 2020 (weeks 1-20).

This compares to 86,011 cases reported in the same period in 2019.

Subscribe to Outbreak News TV

Dengue is a mosquito-borne viral infection causing a severe flu-like illness and, sometimes causing a potentially lethal complication called severe dengue. Approximately, half of the world’s population is at risk and it affects infants, young children and adults. The incidence of dengue has increased 30-fold over the last 50 years. Up to 50-100 million infections are now estimated to occur annually in over 100 endemic countries, putting almost half of the world’s population at risk. http://outbreaknewstoday.com/dengue-cases-down-in-the-philippines-30450/

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Probably because nobody wants to go to the hospital so it doesn't get diagnosed lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Probably because nobody wants to go to the hospital so it doesn't get diagnosed lol.

And it's reported as ccp virus? :89:

Edited by Old55

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Old55 said:

And it's reported as ccp virus? :89:

Yes and thats why I put the topic in this forum. Just waiting for Geoff and a few others to provide some statistics :mocking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Cases are probably down for the same reason crime is down... we have been locked in our houses since March ha ha

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

YJust waiting for Geoff and a few others to provide some statistics :mocking:

I'm keeping a low profile :hystery:

Honestly... I haven't looked into Dengue at all but there have been articles about how seasonal influenza is substantially down due to lockdowns.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 6/17/2020 at 12:46 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes and thats why I put the topic in this forum. Just waiting for Geoff and a few others to provide some statistics :mocking:

Here you go, they are nothing recent, but they look great.  :hystery:

DENGUE MW28.pdf

• Haha 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic