Education During Covid 19

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I have no idea how the education system changes will play out here in different parts of the PI.

The local radio conversations seem to indicate that the people aren't really onboard with home schooling via technology for a host of obvious reasons, and are hoping for other solutions.

Our 'egg man', Julius.... whose wife is an out of work teacher, just stopped by to deliver the large, over sized eggs he home delivers.  He brought a school request letter from one of the nearby schools.

They are asking for the donation of 4 items to assist with future schooling here.

" Photocopier machine                              Coupon Bond 

Ink (cyan,magenta,yellow,black)             Printer               "

There were no other specific itemizations. 

I guess they will be happy with whatever they can get.  Despite no  cost breakdown.... maybe they expect the donors to go out and price shop themselves for whatever they want to give.... I told my wife what these things cost in the US, and that I'd buy some of the paper.  Compadre Julius told her that 1 piece was P285 and the school needed 10.  I assume that the one piece ream (480-500 sheets)  came in a box of ten.

If I had extra money right now, I'd rather buy rice and dried fish for the needy, but as a resident foreigner I always feel compelled to help with local requests ( the letter was addressed to my name)......even when I am limited to small donations... which this will have to be.

The letter states  that ".... this could help us sustain our learners need for worksheets since we can only teach them through distance learning throughout this pandemic time."

The letter was from the PTA president.

This is a FYI  posting.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

I have no idea how the education system changes will play out here in different parts of the PI.

The local radio conversations seem to indicate that the people aren't really onboard with home schooling via technology for a host of obvious reasons, and are hoping for other solutions.

Our 'egg man', Julius.... whose wife is an out of work teacher, just stopped by to deliver the large, over sized eggs he home delivers.  He brought a school request letter from one of the nearby schools.

They are asking for the donation of 4 items to assist with future schooling here.

" Photocopier machine                              Coupon Bond 

Ink (cyan,magenta,yellow,black)             Printer               "

There were no other specific itemizations. 

I guess they will be happy with whatever they can get.  Despite no  cost breakdown.... maybe they expect the donors to go out and price shop themselves for whatever they want to give.... I told my wife what these things cost in the US, and that I'd buy some of the paper.  Compadre Julius told her that 1 piece was P285 and the school needed 10.  I assume that the one piece ream (480-500 sheets)  came in a box of ten.

If I had extra money right now, I'd rather buy rice and dried fish for the needy, but as a resident foreigner I always feel compelled to help with local requests ( the letter was addressed to my name)......even when I am limited to small donations... which this will have to be.

The letter states  that ".... this could help us sustain our learners need for worksheets since we can only teach them through distance learning throughout this pandemic time."

The letter was from the PTA president.

This is a FYI  posting.

My son's school will be an online system - the fees are almost the same as for physical lessons.  We had already paid the full "normal" fee a while back and they told my wife no refunds - surprise,surprise.  Regardless, I will not view requests for donation of items at all favourably if they were to come!  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Edit:  Slightly different topic bu same vein.

Similar thing here, and our local government, Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority, is rich.  They apparently do not know how to budget for contingencies.  They rake in hundreds of millions in fees of various type.  Every 3 or 6 months, they have a ceremony to hand out big checks to the local governments surrounding Subic.  Usually Olongapo City gets close to p150,000,000 each payment.

Then Covid comes and they want to convert Subic Gym to hospital beds.  They ask for donations of the needed wood, steel and plastic.  From what I saw, perhaps p100k max???

Then they set up the COVID testing centers and ask for more stuff.  30 computers, tables, etc.  I think a POGO donated those.

Neither place has been used yet.

Edited by OnMyWay