Targeted Quarantine

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The latest proposal, as discussed on PBS Newshour, argues that "targeted quarantine" is an optimal way to protect the most vulnerable, while also protecting the economy. Until a vaccine arrives, adults who are 65 years and older should remain at home. The younger (20-44) and middle-age (45-65) can return to their jobs and re-open the country. Children likewise are less affected by Covid-19, but any recommendation carries a liability issue. Here in La Jolla where my wife and I are sheltering-in-place, the school district sent a notice to parents offering three choices:  homeschool, return to school or a combination of both. The parents therefore make the decision.

In my opinion, the proposal has merit.  Seniors like me are the most vulnerable and we are no longer in the workforce. It is recommended to stay at home. For those younger who need to go back to work, the hospital survival rate is increasing due to promising treatment.  Add the precautions of wearing a mask, social distancing and handwashing, deaths will continue, but the total numbers will be greatly reduce.  

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The latest proposal, as discussed on PBS Newshour, argues that "targeted quarantine" is an optimal way to protect the most vulnerable, while also protecting the economy. Until a vaccine arrives, adults who are 65 years and older should remain at home. The younger (20-44) and middle-age (45-65) can return to their jobs and re-open the country. Children likewise are less affected by Covid-19, but any recommendation carries a liability issue. Here in La Jolla where my wife and I are sheltering-in-place, the school district sent a notice to parents offering three choices:  homeschool, return to school or a combination of both. The parents therefore make the decision.

In my opinion, the proposal has merit.  Seniors like me are the most vulnerable and we are no longer in the workforce. It is recommended to stay at home. For those younger who need to go back to work, the hospital survival rate is increasing due to promising treatment.  Add the precautions of wearing a mask, social distancing and handwashing, deaths will continue, but the total numbers will be greatly reduce.  

I guess it depends on where you live and if enough medical care such as hospitals. Australia did not close schools and now I think most of the country is back or on its way back to the normal way of life. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Where I live the Covid has slowed to a (currently) manageable pace.  The current cases are of elderly residents of care homes.  They do not go out.  They are not allowed visitors.  But somehow they still get it.  Probably from staff, caterers, cleaners or attending physicians.  The "keep seniors at home and let everyone else out" strategy fails miserably.  May as well shoot them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

is an optimal way

I agree, but it must be adjusted by common sense and logic depending on local situations. As you know JJ in San Diego county a large portion of the elderly live by themselves or in care facilities. Here in the PI they live with their extended families in normally cramped quarters. 

So what they have been doing here in Metro is selected purok, neighborhood or barangay lock downs.  Only essential personnel are allowed to leave........which IMHO ruins the quarantine. Frontliners are have a higher chanse of getting it than others. Once the quarantine is breached it is breached, period.

Having said that, one of the streets nearby was locked down due to a spike of cases. For fun I observed the barricade for about 5 minutes. Their were 3 military types sitting at the barricade. During my observation time i saw 3 motorcycles, 2 trikes and 6 pedestrians walk in or out with out being challenged or inspected. Meanwhile there was a command post one blok away with 11 military and police personnel hanging around shooting the breeze.

It is frustrating when most normal folks follow government guide lines but government officials do not enforce them :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I see no reason to make a law saying those over 65 have to stay at home. If someone, anyone, wants to stay home... no problem, stay.  I haven't seen any data that people over 65 are infecting anyone more than anyone else. I can make my own decisions on how to live... and have done just fine staying away from people who are sick.  I also know how to cross the street the without getting run over,  I don't smoke, drink little, and eat healthy. Point being... being 65 doesn't make me any more of a threat to the medical system capacity than a vast majority of the population.  I do agree they should be stricter on keeping folks in nursing home better protected, but lumping everyone 65 and over in one basket... not right in my book.  

• Love it 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The "targeted quarantine" sounds pretty close to what we are doing in Iloilo.  Most businesses are back (with limitations).  They are encouraging parents to send their kids to school, but will not force them, for now. And the over 60s are supposed to stay home, so they are less likely to catch it.  Not sure how this is being implemented around the country, but that is basically where Iloilo is. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Joey G said:

I can make my own decisions on how to live

But, but, but,,,,,,,don't you believe in cradle to grave????????? :wow::hystery:        i agree with you :thumbsup:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

If one googles lockdown lunacy there is a lot of interesting info.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Joey G said:

I see no reason to make a law saying those over 65 have to stay at home. If someone, anyone, wants to stay home... no problem, stay.  I haven't seen any data that people over 65 are infecting anyone more than anyone else. I can make my own decisions on how to live... and have done just fine staying away from people who are sick.  I also know how to cross the street the without getting run over,  I don't smoke, drink little, and eat healthy. Point being... being 65 doesn't make me any more of a threat to the medical system capacity than a vast majority of the population.  I do agree they should be stricter on keeping folks in nursing home better protected, but lumping everyone 65 and over in one basket... not right in my book.  

I'm not 65 so it's easy for me to comment but all the stats are showing the elderly age group are more at risk than the younger. Presumably this means they are more likely to be infected and suffer more serious affects which impacts on an already weak health service. As I understand it, that's the purpose of all types of lockdowns, to even out the spread to help health services.

You say you have done fine keeping away from people who are sick - how do you know? You may have been infected but showed no symptoms but have passed on the virus to somebody else. That's true for all ages though.

Again, I'm not saying it's necessarily the best strategy but the Philippines is not alone in using it.

Anyone any thoughts on keeping the under 21s at home? Purely an economic decision?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

In Florida they are seeing the median age of those contracting corona drop by a significant degree.   Median state wide age of new cases is now 37,  and two counties that have median age of 29 and 26 respectably.   Perhaps younger folks are throwing caution to the wind as states try to get back to normal, whatever "normal" is these days.

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-reports-record-high-spike-194826359.html

Stephen M. Dowell/Orlando Sentinel/Tribune News Service via Getty Images

The Florida Department of Health on Friday reported 3,822 new cases of the novel coronavirus, the biggest single-day increase in the state to date.

Experts have warned that the state could be the pandemic's next epicenter as residents continue to take advantage of open beaches and bars.

Gov. Ron DeSantis said on Friday that the average age of people infected was "plunging," but added that he wouldn't issue a statewide order requiring masks.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Florida set another record Friday, with the health department reporting 3,822 new cases of the novel coronavirus, the highest number the state has seen in a single day.

The previous record was set on Thursday, when the department said there were 3,207 new cases.

Florida's total is nearing 90,000 infections, according to state data.

The news follows some experts' warnings that the state could become the next epicenter of the pandemic, as residents and visitors continue to enjoy open restaurants, bars, shops, and beaches, many without practicing social distancing or wearing masks.

Related Video: How Long Will Social Distancing Last? It’s Complicated.

According to a report released Wednesday by scientists at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania, "Florida has all the makings of the next large epicenter … the risk there is the worst it has ever been in our projections."

Earlier this week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said the continuous increase in cases was a result of expanded testing and surges among farmworkers and nursing-home residents, Fox 13 reported.

But during a press conference Friday, DeSantis said another demographic was emerging: young people.

The median age of confirmed infected people has "plunged" to 37 statewide, he said, according to the Orlando Sentinel. In Orange County, the median age was 29. In Seminole County it was just 26.

Kat Layton is one of those young people who tested positive. She's among the group of 16 friends who all became infected after visiting a pub in Jacksonville on June 6. She told CNN's Chris Cuomo she hoped others learn from her mistakes.

"We want to tell people it's really not ready for what we thought it was ready for — it's too soon," she said.

Still, on Friday, DeSantis said he would not issue a statewide order requiring mask-wearing, the Sentinel reported.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic