considering retirement in the philippines new home area?

Jake
Posted
Posted

Welcome aboard shipmate!  Bravo Zulu for your long range planning but still remaining flexible.  Steady as she goes.......

Respectfully Jake 

• Like 1

DaveB
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I could never take that.  Roosters and barking dogs.

No worries.  It ain't for everyone!

I forgot to mention.  You might want to look in Morong, just outside the freeport to the south.  I know a guy who got a nice house with a pool right next to the beach there.  It is only 30 minutes to drive into the freeport for shopping, etc.

Thanks...exactly the kinds of tips I was looking for.  

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Anyone have any insights on the area along the water east of Pamocan Point?  From the aerials it looks like a great place to live.  Also looks VERY upscale and likely out of my price range.  Is it all big mansions owned by the landed gentry?  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, DaveB said:

Anyone have any insights on the area along the water east of Pamocan Point?  From the aerials it looks like a great place to live.  Also looks VERY upscale and likely out of my price range.  Is it all big mansions owned by the landed gentry?  

Those houses were built in the 90's to house foreign dignitaries when Philippines hosted an International conference.  I think it was ASEAN.  Bill Clinton stayed in one.  Do you think he might have had a few friendly local girls join him?  :89:

They are rarely listed for sale.  I did see one once and I think it was p70 million??  They are probably mostly owned by corrupt officials.  Just a guess.  There is very little activity there so I am guessing most owners live in Manila.

Next door they are building Majestic Bay:

http://www.triboamajesticbay.com/about.php

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Others have had better experiences... but from my experience... the fact you are renting rather than buying is a plus... always keep your options fluid...especially on the front end.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Thanks OnMyWay, for the info on Pamocan Point.  I could tell from the aerial view of the roof tops that these were more than your standard 3-bedroom rental - those things are huge.  Maybe I can rent the maids quarters or something.

Yeah, we're about 90% committed to renting.  If we blundered into the perfect house at the perfect price, we might consider buying, but it would have to be a weirdly perfect circumstance.  As noted: just keeping the options open, working in laid back retirement mode, pay for some crash pad until we find something permanent we want to commit to long term.  Nice thing about both being retired is no stress to get set up, start a job, take care of kids, etc.  

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Did you not like Malay? Me and my wife are buying a beach lot about 30 minutes south of there, white sand beach only 2-3k per SQM. I think you mean Aklan btw, Malay is a municipality.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, DaveB said:

Thanks OnMyWay, for the info on Pamocan Point.  I could tell from the aerial view of the roof tops that these were more than your standard 3-bedroom rental - those things are huge.  Maybe I can rent the maids quarters or something.

Yeah, we're about 90% committed to renting.  If we blundered into the perfect house at the perfect price, we might consider buying, but it would have to be a weirdly perfect circumstance.  As noted: just keeping the options open, working in laid back retirement mode, pay for some crash pad until we find something permanent we want to commit to long term.  Nice thing about both being retired is no stress to get set up, start a job, take care of kids, etc.  

Yes, after you find an area you like for a while you can consider buying.  Buying can save you a lot of money in the long run.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

He would be faithful to Monica. :thumbsup:

Oh, I doubt that!  Once a horndog, always a horndog!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1