considering retirement in the philippines new home area?

Heeb
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, DaveB said:

Thanks OnMyWay, for the info on Pamocan Point.  I could tell from the aerial view of the roof tops that these were more than your standard 3-bedroom rental - those things are huge.  Maybe I can rent the maids quarters or something.

Yeah, we're about 90% committed to renting.  If we blundered into the perfect house at the perfect price, we might consider buying, but it would have to be a weirdly perfect circumstance.  As noted: just keeping the options open, working in laid back retirement mode, pay for some crash pad until we find something permanent we want to commit to long term.  Nice thing about both being retired is no stress to get set up, start a job, take care of kids, etc.  

Here in the Philippines you can rent a place in a high end area for a reasonable amount compared to what it would cost to purchase it, that's why I don't buy. I probably would have purchased a lease here in the Freeport back when they were still affordable but I don't think they are anymore, that being said the rents aren't really cheap here either.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
On 6/24/2020 at 6:19 AM, Joey G said:

Others have had better experiences... but from my experience... the fact you are renting rather than buying is a plus... always keep your options fluid...especially on the front end.

Certainly until you know whether this place/area/country suits you. First 6 months is always fun and happy times.. then the small irritants creep in. Then somne irritants become larger.

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted
On 6/23/2020 at 6:19 PM,  Joey G said: 

Others have had better experiences... but from my experience... the fact you are renting rather than buying is a plus... always keep your options fluid...especially on the front end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 hours ago, Freebie said:

Certainly until you know whether this place/area/country suits you. First 6 months is always fun and happy times.. then the small irritants creep in. Then somne irritants become larger.

Thats true for some as well... I was referring more to understanding the laws of buying real estate and property as a foreigner... which is complicated until one really understands what they are getting into... 

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Joey G said:
On 6/23/2020 at 6:19 PM,  Joey G said: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats true for some as well... I was referring more to understanding the laws of buying real estate and property as a foreigner... which is complicated until one really understands what they are getting into... 

Totally true. Ive only owned condos here , but theres a lot of lessons to learn and that need to be learned quickly before parting with any readies. And it starts with who really owns where you are planning to buy......and whether you as a non filipino can actually buy ( despite hte fact someone maybe selling you something )  etc etc.......

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

For myself personally I'm 100% happy that I bought a condo on Boracay and this quarantine has made it look an even better choice.  I have the benefits of Western facilities on hand, decent produce, stunning beaches and a clean title. 

You can have a nice walk almost anywhere on the island and the traffic is minimal.  You can buy a condo to rent out to tourists daily and easily turn over 100k per month then use some of that money to rent a property monthly that you couldn't afford to buy . 

Covid has killed the tourism here but if you're retired it makes your walks even nicer.  If you lose your tourist income all you do is move into your condo. No rent to pay and minimal management fees for a beautiful landscaped resort and 10 times easier to sell if you have had enough than the average house would be.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

For myself personally I'm 100% happy that I bought a condo on Boracay and this quarantine has made it look an even better choice.  I have the benefits of Western facilities on hand, decent produce, stunning beaches and a clean title. 

That sounds great, Snowy!

I will not follow your example, but I am curious a bit? How is shopping there for groceries, hardware, etc.? Is it challenging or similar to larger cities?

Edited for further comments:

How is your area for noise? Before virus? Dogs, roosters, karaoke, just loud music?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That sounds great, Snowy!

I will not follow your example, but I am curious a bit? How is shopping there for groceries, hardware, etc.? Is it challenging or similar to larger cities?

Edited for further comments:

How is your area for noise? Before virus? Dogs, roosters, karaoke, just loud music?

There are two Malls although both are small and easily ten hardware places including an ACE hardware.  There's even a cinema. Grocery wise there's two main markets with a great selection of produce plus ample roadside vendors.  Fresh fish daily, you can even buy on the beach as the boats come in.  A couple of Western Delis and Artisan bakers. 

If you are bored pop off the island and go to Kalibo the next main City which is about 1 1/2 to 2hrs away and that will have everything you'll need. A port on your doorstep plus an International airport. A second International airport in Kalibo.  The island is only about 7.5km long and very narrow. There's even decent wifi and cable TV.  

I can live here comfortably on about 500 peso per day as I don't smoke or drink and own my condo.

Noise wise all the decent resorts are well away from the locals. Definitely no roosters, dogs and videoke is well away in the distance.  My only issue is I have a troop of about 30 monkeys that have taken a shine to my apartment. The best sunsets and sunrises I've seen.  

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I can live here comfortably on about 500 peso per day as I don't smoke or drink and own my condo.

Noise wise all the decent resorts are well away from the locals. Definitely no roosters, dogs and videoke is well away in the distance.  My only issue is I have a troop of about 30 monkeys that have taken a shine to my apartment. The best sunsets and sunrises I've seen.  

Like I said before... I won't go there to live, but your situation sounds idyllic and really comfortable. Good on you!!! Maybe we will go there some day for a visit and check out your paradise? (joking)

Here, it is a bit less so, but still okay and better than living in many places where I've been in USA and elsewhere... so ... carry on!

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

For myself personally I'm 100% happy that I bought a condo on Boracay and this quarantine has made it look an even better choice. 

I am really happy for you Snowy.  You've come a long way and finally can walk peacefully without anymore stress like Sanbang, Puerto Galera.  Well done sir!

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted
On 6/23/2020 at 12:41 PM, jimeve said:

A lot of the locals around my area play with their 'chickens'

Seems to be a popular pastime right now !  :89:

104297115_3698345146858847_5683303088348305565_n.jpg

• Haha 5