considering retirement in the philippines new home area?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DaveB said:

the Pierce County Sheriff Dept that has police jurisdiction over where I've lived the last 22 years is not fielding any requests for things like Police Clearance until the County goes to "phase 3" of moving past the lock down policies. 

Well... I have a little news for you, Dave. You can easily get your police clearance from Washington State Patrol. You can even request it online. It is very simple and straightforward. I did it something over a year ago. I don't have the links, but I just went online to their website and they have a tab or selection for requesting police clearances. They then mail it to you or you go their office in Olympia to pick it up... I think it was something like $20 per copy - I got two, just because this is the Philippines, but did not need two...

Good luck to you and I am sure your plans will work out. You seem well organized and thorough.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Wow...I gotta go back and check into that.  I actually started with them.  All I could find on their website was a record request for $11.  It simply came back and said "no record found" which meant there are no criminal convictions.  But I was uncomfortable because the whole thing was so vague, I was worried about finding myself at the San Francisco Consulate office being told it wasn't good enough.  Appreciate the heads up - if you have any hints on the search or query you did to get that report, appreciate hearing about it.  I'll go dig some more.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, DaveB said:

Wow...I gotta go back and check into that.  I actually started with them.  All I could find on their website was a record request for $11.  It simply came back and said "no record found" which meant there are no criminal convictions.  But I was uncomfortable because the whole thing was so vague, I was worried about finding myself at the San Francisco Consulate office being told it wasn't good enough.  Appreciate the heads up - if you have any hints on the search or query you did to get that report, appreciate hearing about it.  I'll go dig some more.

I just found my file on it. I do not have the link now. They did mail me a hard copy letter after receiving and processing my request and fee. It went to my mail handler who then forwarded it to me. It was notarized by the State Patrol there automatically. It is an official letter so I think a bit more than "no record found." Just Google search this phrase and it will take you right to it:

"washington state patrol background check"

So I just went there and, sadly, this message is at the top of the page:

"UPDATE (as of 3/17/20): In light of the escalation of COVID-19, the Washington State Patrol Criminal Records Divisions front counter/lobby will be closed to the public effective immediately until further notice. Some of the services affected are fingerprinting, notary letters, record reviews and background check requests."

So you may still have to wait a while...

And looking on the page reminded me that I had to register with WATCH in order to get this from an online request. The page will tell you all you need to know...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

finding myself at the San Francisco Consulate office being told it wasn't good enough

By the way... there are apparently two methods that they can use for the background check - name and birthday or via fingerprint check. Well... I requested it from here in Philippines and so, of course, there was no fingerprint check. But the letter from WSP doesn't say how they sourced it and that letter was accepted just fine for the visa app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

There are an alloted amount of motorcycles allowed on the island and I'm fortunate enough to have one.  Still plenty of tricycles about and I also have a mountain bike.  Personally I like to walk the beach to get to where I want.  4.5km of lovely white sand and aquamarine seas. The island is just over 7km long and 600m wide in places.  Probably 1km at it's widest.

You've got me searching for Boracay condos now, you should be an estate agent:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

You've got me searching for Boracay condos now, you should be an estate agent:biggrin:

Best to deal direct via a caretaker here. There's two ways of looking here.  One is to live and the other is for a potential income as some resorts rent on your behalf and bend you over for costs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Edrigo Salvadore
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

To be honest I'm not a party animal and neither are the Korean and Chinese.  They tend to stay in the high end resorts and seam to come to a tropical paradise to hide away from the sun. They literally leave their resorts, walk along Dmall and a few of the other restaurant areas for food then back to their resorts. Even peak season you'll only see a few on the 4.5km of beach during the day. At 5:30pm they are like ants on the beach to watch the stunning sunsets and then they eat in the restaurants and go to bed.

You can walk past Willy's rock to station one most days even in peak season and it's empty.  The high end resorts there have nice pools and shade from the sun. I'm currently averaging about ten seconds face to face conversations daily.  It's that quiet. I've enclose a couple of photos taken today and one with high tide taken the other day.

I hate you for making me feel envious. My plan to move to Pampanga feels awful now thanks to you. Boracay is amazing, but I love driving motorcycle, so the island feels too small for me, and very limiting. There is only so much you can do there before you feel bored.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Snowy79 Photos...beautiful beach scenes.  I've always thought Boracay had a stunning beach - my main problem with it was that it was usually covered in tourists.  Looks like that isn't a problem now.  I thought it was sparse when I was there in March, but this looks like it's totally deserted.  Makes me really jealous I'm still stuck here in the states for now.  Edrigo: my wife's from Mabalacat in Pampanga.  Great people, nice towns, lousy traffic, no beach.  If I'm gonna migrate half way around the world, I've made up my mind I'm going to end up in the proximity of the ocean.   Not disparaging your decision - there are dozens of reasons to want to live some place, and the smaller barangays in Pampanga have a lot of charm all their own.  But there are stretches like Snowy shows in the pictures in a lot of places, and you don't have to worry about the day when the tourists come back.  I suspect my first year or so in PI is going to involve bouncing around until I find that spot that "feels" just right.....Dang, those are nice photos.  I am sooooo jealous.

• Like 2

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Snowy...just showed your photos to my wife.  She drooled.  Wants to know if we can just go to your house.  Hard to sit in the states and see scenes like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2