Applying for Isawa's SSN

Heeb
Posted
Posted

So my wife is three months out from 62, and she's been on my case about applying for her since I said I would when she got to the three month point. Well I didn't get far, I needed to verify her My social security account before I got started, and it's my stateside cellphone which I lost the sim card for since I'm using the same phone as I had stateside with a P.I simm, so it's a good thing I'm going back stateside for a bit, I had them send me a reset letter to our Washington home. After reading some of the possible documents they may ask for I'm looking for advice from anyone who's wife was also a naturalized U.S. citizen and applied for SSN while here or even stateside, they mention "original birth certificate" which we don't have and it would be difficult get right now, if there's anyone who's gone through the process any advice about the process would be appreciated. I had a friend who had his social security hijacked, he went to apply and found out someone was already receiving his benefits, seems like it's easier for criminals to apply than actual beneficiaries.

Joey G
Posted
Posted (edited)

You said: "I'm looking for advice from anyone who's wife was also a naturalized U.S. citizen and applied for SSN"

So  your wife doesn't have a Social Security # at all right now?  

If she has a Social Security #, but applied for the # BEFORE she was naturalized citizen, then she will need at least two of following.... original birth certificate, her US naturalization certificate, her US passport... she needed a birth certificate for the US citizenship and/or passport.

She will have to provide the documents in person.

Edited by Joey G

Heeb
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Joey G said:

You said: "I'm looking for advice from anyone who's wife was also a naturalized U.S. citizen and applied for SSN"

So  your wife doesn't have a Social Security # at all right now?  

If she has a Social Security #, but applied for the # BEFORE she was naturalized citizen, then she will need at least two of following.... original birth certificate, her US naturalization certificate, her US passport... she needed a birth certificate for the US citizenship and/or passport.

She will have to provide the documents in person.

What I meant was, she is applying for social security retirement benefits, she worked in the states for 30 years, she's turning 62 in September, sorry.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

IF she got her SS # before becoming naturalized... she will need two of those  documents and be in person at a SS office to confirm she is now a US citizen.  We had that situation... easy as long as you have US passport and natutalization certificate. 

If SS already has her documented as a US citizen... then she can apply on line at My SS website.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Heeb said:

So my wife is three months out from 62, and she's been on my case about applying for her since I said I would when she got to the three month point. Well I didn't get far, I needed to verify her My social security account before I got started, and it's my stateside cellphone which I lost the sim card for since I'm using the same phone as I had stateside with a P.I simm, so it's a good thing I'm going back stateside for a bit, I had them send me a reset letter to our Washington home. After reading some of the possible documents they may ask for I'm looking for advice from anyone who's wife was also a naturalized U.S. citizen and applied for SSN while here or even stateside, they mention "original birth certificate" which we don't have and it would be difficult get right now, if there's anyone who's gone through the process any advice about the process would be appreciated. I had a friend who had his social security hijacked, he went to apply and found out someone was already receiving his benefits, seems like it's easier for criminals to apply than actual beneficiaries.

If she is a U.S. Citizen then she is the same as all of us.  As Joey said she should be able to apply online, but if she wants her payment sent to a Philippine bank, that introduces another wrinkle that would have to be covered.

She can also apply via the U.S. Embassy in Manila, like I did.  However, I did it like that because I was also applying for my two kids at the same time, and they had to be "interviewed".  We did everything at an Embassy outreach here in the Freeport, and by e-mail.  The SS staff at the Embassy were knowledgeable and helpful.

Unfortunately the Embassy is not doing much now due to Covid and the outreaches will probably be suspended for quite a while.

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Heeb... first thanks for the reminder... we are in a similar situation... but have 3 years to go :)

Anyways... I called SS today.  IF you wife got her SS# BEFORE she was naturalized AND SS doesn't have annotated that in their records she is a US citizen.... you must fill out a SSA-5 and provide proof of citizenship.  Naturalization certificate OR US passport is sufficient for proof. However, they must see the original of one of those two documents.  The person I talked to said simply mail the SSA-5 with the US passport and they would send the passport back immediately.  That's our case... and even with 30+ years of employment and citizenship since 1995 we had to follow that process.  They did say that a birth certificate is not required if you are naturalized and have a US passport and/or a naturalization certificate.

IF your wife applied for a SS# after she was already a naturalized citizen AND already provide proof of citizenship... then you can do the whole the whole thing online... once you get access to MySocialSecurity.

The SSA-5 is available online.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Joey G said:

Heeb... first thanks for the reminder... we are in a similar situation... but have 3 years to go :)

Anyways... I called SS today.  IF you wife got her SS# BEFORE she was naturalized AND SS doesn't have annotated that in their records she is a US citizen.... you must fill out a SSA-5 and provide proof of citizenship.  Naturalization certificate OR US passport is sufficient for proof. However, they must see the original of one of those two documents.  The person I talked to said simply mail the SSA-5 with the US passport and they would send the passport back immediately.  That's our case... and even with 30+ years of employment and citizenship since 1995 we had to follow that process.  They did say that a birth certificate is not required if you are naturalized and have a US passport and/or a naturalization certificate.

IF your wife applied for a SS# after she was already a naturalized citizen AND already provide proof of citizenship... then you can do the whole the whole thing online... once you get access to MySocialSecurity.

The SSA-5 is available online.

Me too, I have 3 years also. I'm hoping I can get this done online while my wife is still here in the Philippines, it's good to hear that she won't need the birth certificate, if she has to appear in person hopefully the embassy as OnMyWay said will be an option. Thanks for the info!