Why live in the Philippines?

Ozapriliaguy
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

In my opinion economic expats get frustrated a lot more than those of us who have been long married to a Filipina and  retired here by choice. 

5 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

There are pork dishes, chicken dishes, fresh fish dishes, vegetable dishes, various desserts and of course rice (but there's always rice).

I have never, and will never, eat filipino food. It's all invariably full of oil, salt, sugar and MSG, but I know of a few expats who seem to love it.

• Like 1

Ozapriliaguy
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I agree in part with much you have posted, but not entirely with any of it!  

That's fine. I am not seking endorsement or agreement. I simply posted my perspective for the OP to consider.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Ozapriliaguy said:

I have never, and will never, eat filipino food. It's all invariably full of oil, salt, sugar and MSG, but I know of a few expats who seem to love it.

Not if your wife cooks likes mine.  Great food, fresh ingredients, seasoned well.  You won't find MSG in our kitchen. 

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Ozapriliaguy said:

I did say 'home cooked'... no MSG, little salt some sugar and some oil.  

The vast majority of ingredients are fresh (unlike when I'm in Australia and the vast majority are frozen).

But it tastes delicious (I guess I'm one of those expats who love filipino food).

OTOH I could go my entire life and never eat another boring western style meat and 3 veg dinner and not miss it a bit.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

Ozapriliaguy
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Not if your wife cooks likes mine.  Great food, fresh ingredients, seasoned well.  You won't find MSG in our kitchen. 

Yes, my wife is a good cook too - seems like a trait most Pinay have.  I'm a pretty dab hand in the kitchen, having worked in a couple of commercial kitchens when I was a young fella. I have taught my wife a number of foreign dishes and she's pretty much as good as me,except she will usually get me to apply the herbs/spices to the various dishes.

• Like 3

Ozapriliaguy
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

OTOH I could go my entire life and never eat another boring western style meat and 3 veg dinner and not miss it a bit.

I don't think that I have had a meat & 3 veg meal for about 50 years. There are a lot of Western counties, and I like and prepare various dishes from many of them.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Angry Midget (wife) summed it up for me when asked if she ever wants to reside permanently in Australia: "Why would I want to live in a country where people care so much about the things that don't matter in life?".  She was bought up "middle-class", is university educated and spent a fair whack of her adult life working in the west so she's seen both sides.  

For me, I've travelled and lived all over the world and had a similar experience to Anthony Bourdain on his first visit to SE Asia and empathise strongly with one of his quotes:

“I remember the moment I first realised I’d been living my whole life in black and white. It was like discovering a colour I never knew existed before, a whole new crayon box full of colours. That was it for me, from then on; there was no putting the pieces back together, no going home. Things were different now. Asia had ruined me for my old life. “
• Anthony Bourdain – Parts Unknown, June 2014

My first visit to SE Asia, and specifically Indonesia, Thailand and The Philippines, was in 1989 at the tender age of 20.  It's been a love affair ever since.  

Oh, and I like Filipino food if it's home cooked or in a resto, not the mass produced stuff.  But I do carry my own bottle of home made chilli oil with me when we go out.  I never could figure out why PI is one of the few SE countries that doesn't spice their food to "burn" level.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

I eat fresh tuna for 250 peso per kilo. Mango 100 peso per kilo. I could go on.

Try comparing that to Seattle at a fish market - fresh tuna for US$20+/POUND!

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I never could figure out why PI is one of the few SE countries that doesn't spice their food to "burn" level.  

Ah... Brett... You need to meet my partner, L... Some of her foods will burn your socks off!!! But, you are right, most Filipinos prefer mild spice rather than hot...

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

When we first started looking for land on which to build a house I expected to settle for a place I could tolerate. I was very wary of dog and rooster noise, karaoke and of course security. Was fortunate to find a place that I love- not a lot of dogs, loud music or roosters and we built a good quality house which keeps the noise out. The area is so safe that bars on the windows are completely unnecessary. It's a touristy area with a variety of restaurants and activities.

Snorkeling is my favorite activity, so if global warming kills the reefs I will be seriously fup duck.

Your mileage may vary.

The local government is relatively uncorrupt but is as stupid as anywhere else in the PI.  I'm lucky to be in the US during the pandemic. Couldn't tolerate a long lockdown.

Edited by Guy F.
PS
  • Like 2