Why live in the Philippines?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, RBM said:

That is fine if your there early......My experience is all food is cooked early am and left to sit all day....until sold, what happens with left overs is anybodies guess.

That does happen in a lot of places but if you're local and know the people running it and arrive at the correct time (which is the same time each day) then you get fresh cooked food.  That means mostly going out for lunch not dinner but I prefer that anyway. 

As to left overs it's been my experience that it's advertised cheap late in the afternoon and poorer locals wait for that and buy it when it's cheaper.

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Guy F. said:

A decent perimeter wall, solid concrete walls (not hollow blocks) with lots of rebar, good double-glaze windows, and an insulated roof.

I can't get double glazed windows where I am (Dumaguete) but I'm certain they would help.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/16/2020 at 10:50 AM, Ozapriliaguy said:

Unless you want to live on dried fish and rice, maintaining a Western diet will be expensive as everything is imported.

Imported? like what as most is available locally.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:50 AM, Ozapriliaguy said:

I'm about ready to go back to the First World. Nothing here works, not the electricity, not the water, not the people, not the government. 

Where are you living now? I have no electric problems and rarely ever have. Always have water and the goverment is not our business as a guest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ozapriliaguy
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Where are you living now? I have no electric problems and rarely ever have. Always have water and the goverment is not our business as a guest. 

Clearly my profile states that I am in CDO. Only last week we had no electricity for 12 hours - but knowing this country, I already had a generator. For the last week the water pressure has been so bad, even I can piss stronger....and as a Permanent Resident, who gets nothing in return for that 'honour' - I'm not a guest.

Ozapriliaguy
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Like what???....like every kind of real cheese, real ham, real bacon, sugar free bread, wine, spirits, butter, steak, salmon....ad infinitum ad nauseam.

Ozapriliaguy
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Ease up mate, just because you've had a different experience to some doesn't mean you have to be insulting.  You know nothing of our situation and yet you've decided to judge based on no knowledge or information at all.  I'm not even going to clarify since you seem to know it all already and decided to bring everyone else down to your level of what quite simply appears to be bitterness and unhappiness -  well based on your posts so far anyway. 

Or is  this a troll?

Well Chum

I wasn't going to reply, but just for the sake of clarity - a few points:

1. Insulting? Really? You must be some kind of precious little petal if you thought that I was being insulting.

2. No - I don't "know it all" but I do know when someone is full of it.

3. Correct - I know nothing of your situation, and don't really want to know - you are inconsequential to me.

4. "Bitterness and unhappiness" - this is a forum for expats (which, btw - you are not one) to share their experiences with other expats. Not everyone thinks that living in the Phils is Nirvana. if I want to express the effect that this country has had on me, I will.

...and finally - not so much a point as a rhetorical question (which means that you don't really have to reply) - why is it that tools who don't like what someone has posted immediately decide to call them a troll, without actually addressing the points they raised?

Have a great weekend.

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Ozapriliaguy said:

Like what???....like every kind of real cheese, real ham, real bacon, sugar free bread, wine, spirits, butter, steak, salmon....ad infinitum ad nauseam.

I guess if you dont get out much you would not know where to find good things.

2 hours ago, Ozapriliaguy said:

Clearly my profile states that I am in CDO.

Sure it does but you joined here in 2018 with a CDO IP but your IP now says USA as posting so just asking.

35 minutes ago, Ozapriliaguy said:

why is it that tools who don't like what someone has posted immediately decide to call them a troll, without actually addressing the points they raised?

Sounds like a troll, smells like a troll so probably is a troll. Your attitude belongs in the trash basket. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's good to have a  new member here who calls things as they see them. :cheersty:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I've never been able to find good ol American corn flakes in Philippines. What's up with that!!!

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Ozapriliaguy said:

Clearly my profile states that I am in CDO. Only last week we had no electricity for 12 hours - but knowing this country, I already had a generator. For the last week the water pressure has been so bad, even I can piss stronger....and as a Permanent Resident, who gets nothing in return for that 'honour' - I'm not a guest.

Did the piss end up in your imported cheerios? :tongue: