Dating Filipinas?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, NIgelmac1401 said:

what are your thoughts guys and girls?

It's hard to suggest coming to the Philippines and spending some time and meeting someone in country when you can't actually go there right now.

There are genuine women on the dating sites, there are also a lot of poor women just trying to get money, so... yeah try it but be careful.

I'd ask for her Facebook page (all Filipinos have Facebook, sometimes several), if she won't give it to you or she claims not to have one be suspicious.  Look at the pages of her friends after her you are on her friends list.

Second I'd ask for video chats, use Facebook messenger/video chat or Viber or one of the other similar apps (don't expect an old fashioned dial up on your phone to work though).  If she won't video chat then suspect something isn't right.

If she asks for money then I'd block her. 

If she says she can't chat because she's out of load then wait (because she probably is out of load, which is Filipino for phone credit).

And don't take it too seriously until well after you can meet her in person.

• Like 3

NIgelmac1401
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

It's hard to suggest coming to the Philippines and spending some time and meeting someone in country when you can't actually go there right now.

There are genuine women on the dating sites, there are also a lot of poor women just trying to get money, so... yeah try it but be careful.

I'd ask for her Facebook page (all Filipinos have Facebook, sometimes several), if she won't give it to you or she claims not to have one be suspicious.  Look at the pages of her friends after her you are on her friends list.

Second I'd ask for video chats, use Facebook messenger/video chat or Viber or one of the other similar apps (don't expect an old fashioned dial up on your phone to work though).  If she won't video chat then suspect something isn't right.

If she asks for money then I'd block her. 

If she says she can't chat because she's out of load then wait (because she probably is out of load, which is Filipino for phone credit).

And don't take it too seriously until well after you can meet her in person.

Thanks Geoff,

I think I am going with the old fashioned methods and I will wait until I get there and start meeting some nice women face to face as wasting hours on end wit the same questions same conversations only to get at the end "will you send me a gift?" is pretty tiresome in itself at least face to face you can weigh up a million things just by her non verbal communications which is after all 90% of all body communications (Gests, dress, attitude, etc). it also eliminates the "is she real" question and not some African guy sitting behind his computer in Nigeria 😂  

It goes without saying NEVER give out money if guys stopped being stupid like that then these people would not even exist.

I will just have to be patient and let my dreams guide me for the moment 

Edited by NIgelmac1401
add on
  • Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Plenty of nice genuine girls on the dating sites, even now (I met my wife through one..'DateInAsia'...DIA). You just need to become an expert at sifting out the scammers and 'ladyboys'. NEVER send one peso.  A nice girl would probably be too proud to ask anyway.

Also make sure pics are gen'.  Facebook is a good place to look around too, as previously mentioned.  :smile:

Dating site pic.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

peterfe
Posted
Posted
On 7/27/2020 at 3:30 PM, GeoffH said:

I'd ask for her Facebook page (all Filipinos have Facebook, sometimes several),

Geoff my friend, have you never been up in the hills or out on the small islands? There are loads of girls who live in places with no Internet and often no phone connection either. Most of them would probably make very good wives/girl friends, apart from their limited English. But how does the foreigner meet them? He could take a trip up into the hills and try to chat up a girl selling tomatoes, but maybe it would be better to ask a Filipino or Filipina friend if they know/could recommend anyone. S has members of her large extended family who live in places like that and would be happy to oblige. So, anyone who wants a nice simple girl for a serious relationship, just come over for coffee and we'll fix you up! 

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, peterfe said:

Geoff my friend, have you never been up in the hills or out on the small islands? There are loads of girls who live in places with no Internet and often no phone connection either. Most of them would probably make very good wives/girl friends, apart from their limited English.

Well yes you have a point, and yes I have been up into the hills and on some small islands.  And yes I'm aware that there are loads of girls who live in places with no internet and often no phone.  So yes, I didn't word my comments well (not the first time for that... my bad) :)

Where we separate is "most of them would probably make very good wives/girl friends" because very limited English is a dividing line for me.  I'm not against learning Tagalog or Bisaya (I'm very slowly trying to learn Bisaya) but no common language... that's going to make a real relationship really hard.

*edit*  One other consideration is how many women living 'in the hills without any internet or phone' are going to be on the dating web sites that require an internet connection to use?  Not many I'd think.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

For what its worth....

If a young woman can  get in a few years of college or a larger city/town job (many home stay with relatives when doing this), they polish up their English quite a bit.  Use of modern communication devices also often improves their English level.  

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

For what its worth....

If a young woman can  get in a few years of college or a larger city/town job (many home stay with relatives when doing this), they polish up their English quite a bit.  Use of modern communication devices also often improves their English level.  

The language barrier isn’t as bad as it used to be with these modern language translators, whoever I’m yet to find a good Tagalog translation device. Most are academic based wording and the English wording doesn’t mean the equivalent inTagalog when translated. :thumbsup:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

The language barrier isn’t as bad as it used to be with these modern language translators, whoever I’m yet to find a good Tagalog translation device. Most are academic based wording and the English wording doesn’t mean the equivalent inTagalog when translated. :thumbsup:

Bisaya translator devices (or apps or web sites) are even worse than Tagalog ones in my personal experience (that probably reflects the fact that there are 3 times as many native Tagalog speakers as Bisaya speakers).

• Like 2