Ceiling exhaust fans

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Viking said:

I been looking on these too but I was not sure if they were effective without wind? Sad to say, our place don´t have much wind so I have been hesitating to install whirlybirds. Do you have good experience from them even when there is no or only very little wind?

You can now by whirlybirds which is connected to a solarpanel and that will probably increase their effectivness when there is no wind. 

I think this solution is best for the attics and I was more thinking of ceiling fans. However, if the attic is cooler the room under it will also be cooler :thumbsup:

Yes mate, very effective without wind or power - the hot air rising drives them. 

• Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

Citi hardware sells them so not hard to find here. I have them at my place.

Yeah but The Midget is at our place up in Guihulngan City, about 2 hours north of Dumaguete right now mate..  Just have to wait a bit I guess.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

This is perhaps old or not relevent... but I will add it here anyway... you can read and toss it if you wish...

When I was young and lived near Chicago, the summers were horrible - so hot, humid and oppressive.

Our house had a built-in ceiling fan upstairs that sounded almost like a Cessna 160 when it was running. But it sucked in the cooler air at night through the open windows of each of the three bedrooms... It helped...

In our new home, we will have simple (non-powered) vents for the roof/ceiling areas and powered vent fans in the CR's... you don't want to go into an unventilated CR after I have ventilated...

In a few months - whenever we finally move in - I can give you a review about how well these all work. If necessary, we may add powered ventilation to the roof/ceiling spaces. I like the idea of solar powered fans since they would only operate during the very hot daylight hours. At this point, we are just not sure if they will be necessary and the budget is very tight today...

jimeve
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

In a few months - whenever we finally move in - I can give you a review about how well these all work. If necessary, we may add powered ventilation to the roof/ceiling spaces. I like the idea of solar powered fans since they would only operate during the very hot daylight hours. At this point, we are just not sure if they will be necessary and the budget is very tight today...

For that to work, 'solar powered fans' you would need a solar powered system installed all wired up to the fans them up to the batteries.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

For that to work, 'solar powered fans' you would need a solar powered system installed all wired up to the fans them up to the batteries.

I hear you, and thanks for your advice. I guess I will need to think further about this before things progress too much further... Thanks, Jim...!

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, jimeve said:

No you don't, you just need some sort of set voltage regulator rated to the motor and current is feed directly to the motor.  Granted it would only work if the sun is shining, but that's when you want it to work.  Simple, cheap and effective and that's how some of the solar powered systems I've researched actually work. 

The ones we installed here in Australia are unpowered.  They work great in temps of up to 35c, sometimes in the low 40's.  This is the normal temperature in the summer where my house is.  This is my experience, not conjecture. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

No you don't, you just need some sort of set voltage regulator rated to the motor and current is feed directly to the motor.  Granted it would only work if the sun is shining, but that's when you want it to work.  Simple, cheap and effective and that's how some of the solar powered systems I've researched actually work. 

The ones we installed here in Australia are unpowered.  They work great in temps of up to 35c, sometimes in the low 40's.  This is the normal temperature in the summer where my house is.  This is my experience, not conjecture. 

I need to search Mr google for this...Do yo have any links saving me the trouble. Ta.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I need to search Mr google for this...Do yo have any links saving me the trouble. Ta.

Here's the one I was looking at:

https://solatube.com.au/roof-ventilation/

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

It should be remembered that solar powered roof installation has been around since the 70's for hot water with no batteries.  It's the LiOn batteries that are relatively new. 

carbpow
Posted
Posted

I installed one of these, works well. Rated for hurricane/typhoon winds. I had it powder coated which probably wasn't needed. Just have to be sure you have enough air inlet in the soffit to balance the air flow.

https://roofvents.com/solar-attic-fans-aura-solar-fan/asf-12-c04-aura-solar-fan-12-inch-diameter-4-inch-collar/