Ceiling Fan

RBM
Posted
Posted

Recently at Wilcon hardware I purchased a small ceiling fan. The sales boy tested it, at this time I did not stand over him as he was so slow.....and there war other jobs to be done. 

Once home it was installed by an electrician whom I have used before and confident in his ability. The fan is basically useless, he changed the blades and also ran it both ways with no noticeable effect, its  also noisy.

The cost was just P4500 so not to worried and going to give it away. My question is can anybody here recommend a brand and suggest how many blades is preferable. The area small. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, RBM said:

My question is can anybody here recommend a brand and suggest how many blades is preferable. The area small. 

I can't help you but I've got the same question, we've got a niece staying at the house in CDO at the moment and she's on the third (attic) floor in one of the spare rooms we haven't been using and we're going to fit a fan (later it can be used for visitors) and also fit one to the other room I'm eventually going to use as my radio/hobby room.

*watching this with interest*

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We bought 4 Westinghouse fans from Ace Hardware - 2 larger ones with 5 blades and 2 smaller ones with 6 blades - price was in the  4,500php range.  The larger ones seem to be more effective - not surprisingly.  We don't really use them but they do work up to a point and are not noisy.  

Just my opinion but I'm not convinced they are up to the task here in the Philippines - they work well if used in conjunction with A/C but alone...

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, RBM said:

My question is can anybody here recommend a brand and suggest how many blades is preferable. The area small. 

I think I have only bought one ceiling fan in my life, for my house in Florida.  It was a Hunter brand with lights and remote control.  I think I bought it at Home Depot around 2004.  It is still going strong 16 years later.

They have quite a few Hunter on Lazada and the prices seem ok.  They also have them at Wilcon online so I suppose they have them in the stores too.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?q=ceiling+fans+hunter&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4l.searchlist.search.go.2608403e2oK4GQ

https://www.wilcon.com.ph/search.php?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=hunter

As far as number of blades, I'm not sure of the physics of it, but I would go with 5 big wide blades.  The big blades can get a lot of air movement at a slow speed.  Remote control is nice especially if it will be mounted real high.

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I'll vouch for Hunter's and remotes are essential in my view.  Ceiling fans are more for circulation than direct cooling... unless it's a low ceiling, on full speed, and right over you, you really shouldn't be feeling "wind" like a conventional upright fan.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I bought 6 ceiling fans from Lazada, they also have lights, they cost 1800 pesos ish each and after 1 .5 years they are still working. I looked locally and figured that even if 2 out of the 6 work I will not have lost money. They send enough air out to decrease the temp. At the end of the day a floor fan is far superior. It seems that they have gone up in price 

fan.png

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

At the end of the day a floor fan is far superior. It seems that they have gone up in price 

Maybe I should just buy a couple of floor fans...

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Maybe I should just buy a couple of floor fans...

We have both ceiling fans, (Westinghouse and Hunter) and floor stand fans. The stand fans are much better at providing a cooling breeze, whereas the ceiling fans just seem to stir up the air rather than providing a noticeable cooling effect. Both the Westinghouse and Hunter fans are five blade, 52 inch. The Westinghouse ones seem far superior to the Hunter ones, with a higher speed on high. In our lounge we have two Hunters, and one of them has slowed up noticeably over the last few months. The quality just doesn’t seem as good as the Westinghouse ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

We just purchased two Westinghouse ceiling fans for the new home. They are installed, but not operating yet as the home construction is not yet complete.

Back many years ago, I had a Hunter ceiling fan installed in the house there. It worked brilliantly for over ten years and was virtually noise free.

Recently we shopped for ceiling fans and the choices were "Boston Bay" at Citi Hardware, "Daze?" (or some name like that) at Wilcon, Westinghouse or Hunter, also at Wilcon... I really wanted Hunter, but Wilcon is phasing out the sales of those for some reason (maybe they last too long and don't require replacement or parts early???). So we bought the Westinghouse... I can tell you in a few months, if they were worthwhile or worth less...

• Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/26/2020 at 8:44 AM, Tommy T. said:

We just purchased two Westinghouse ceiling fans for the new home. They are installed, but not operating yet as the home construction is not yet complete.

Back many years ago, I had a Hunter ceiling fan installed in the house there. It worked brilliantly for over ten years and was virtually noise free.

Recently we shopped for ceiling fans and the choices were "Boston Bay" at Citi Hardware, "Daze?" (or some name like that) at Wilcon, Westinghouse or Hunter, also at Wilcon... I really wanted Hunter, but Wilcon is phasing out the sales of those for some reason (maybe they last too long and don't require replacement or parts early???). So we bought the Westinghouse... I can tell you in a few months, if they were worthwhile or worth less...

Tommy I was put off Boston Bay as a water dispenser purchased from Citi Hardware lasted less than a year. Maybe just me but enough to look for a different brand. Today will have a look at SM, Hunter will be my preferred choice.

Thanks to all whom have replied.