Ceiling Fan

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Tommy I was put off Boston Bay as a water dispenser purchased from Citi Hardware lasted less than a year. Maybe just me but enough to look for a different brand. Today will have a look at SM, Hunter will be my preferred choice.

Thanks to all whom have replied.

Yeah... I agree... everything at Citi Hardware is "Boston Bay" which I relay to be total rubbish... There are some parts in this furnished apartment that are "Boston Bay..." and they are total rubbish... so that is my yardstick...

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yesterday we went to our local Ace in SM. They had many ceiling fans working so was a perfect time to compare.

With out hesitation we choose Hunter, it was deadly quiet and effective on higher speed. Not cheap at P9k how ever pleasantly surprised to be told by cashier its subject to 20% discount.

Again thanks for reply's.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Yesterday we went to our local Ace in SM. They had many ceiling fans working so was a perfect time to compare.

With out hesitation we choose Hunter, it was deadly quiet and effective on higher speed. Not cheap at P9k how ever pleasantly surprised to be told by cashier its subject to 20% discount.

Again thanks for reply's.

Out of curiosity I also looked into ceiling fans as I've a large ceiling mounted one in my condo that must be attleast 10yrs old and very quiet, sure enough it's a Hunter.  My only complaint is it's operated by pulling a chain. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Curious, RBM... you say this unit is quiet - and that's really important to me too.

How about wobble? The Hunter or Casablanca that was installed in my home back in the 80's required a bit of messing around to balance the blades properly. It was not a big deal, but did take a while - attaching a temporary, sliding weight experimentally on the blades until the oscillation stopped. Then I simply set one of the permanent weights it came with using the sticky back. It worked quietly and efficiently and was still fine after more than ten years of service and used virtually every day, summer and winter.

By the way, we installed it using a toggle switch with dimmer function that gave it variable speed. The fan was mounted way too high to reach so wall switch worked great. It did cause a bit of motor noise at low speeds, but not so much and not annoying.

I will let you know how I feel about the Westinghouse brand after we use them a while. I was irritated that Wilcon did not have them and did not know, at the time, that Ace did...

On a side note.... I am getting really tired of shopping for fittings, lights, etc., for the home. Everything seems to require stops at four hardware stores - two of them being Citi, but they apparently do not always carry the same goods. Yeah... I realize this is not Seattle, but it can get frustrating to go out to the four different stores, only to find that the best choice was really at the first stop after all... Internet shopping doesn't work and making phone calls is also ineffective. It always requires in-person visits...

Sorry for the micro-rant...just bothering me a bit...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/25/2020 at 5:29 PM, Joey G said:

I'll vouch for Hunter's and remotes are essential in my view.

I dont know what Hunter brand set up is but the Fans I had in Australia have a wall switch with speed control so no need for remotes.

• Like 2

insite
Posted
Posted (edited)

Whilst you inquire about ceiling fans I introduce this as of possible interest - S&R are selling tall ( 1,2 M ) floor standing tower fans - they are quiet effective but not the quietest - they come with a remote control - last week that had them on offer for 3K -

1593346440339.JPEG

Edited by insite
Additional comment
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, insite said:

Whilst you inquire about ceiling fans I introduce this as of possible interest - S&R are selling tall ( 1,2 M ) floor standing tower fans - they are quiet effective but not the quietest - they come with a remote control - last week that had them on offer for 3K -

1593346440339.JPEG

We have one of those didn't last long, about 12 months. still got it good for decoration only now. 

• Sad 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

A family member had one in the states, but only used it one summer. I don't remember it as being particularly superior in airflow to the much cheaper standing fans we use here.

I prefer standing fans because they are easy to clean and lubricate every two or three weeks. If you take the time to place a few drops of light machine oil on the motor shaft while its laying on the floor with the 2 part guard and fan off during cleaning, and spin bobble the shaft so the oil works down, hopefully all the way to the back bearing as well, it will truly extend its lifespan. 

The  thing I learned over the years, is not to trust anyone to do this simple disassembly and cleaning, since they inevitably strip the plastic threads on the fan knob. When I leave and return, I usually find a piece of plastic or paper or thread..... you get the picture.... under the fan holder knob since the knob was stripped out. It still works OK,, though.  I had to teach my wife how to apply a minimum of oil on the shaft and work it well (no nasty jokes please....ha ha.)  If you over oil it, use a twist of tissue or paper towel to absorb excess oil before turning upright.  A tweezer makes the excess oil absorbing paper packing around the shaft easy to extract before standing upright to reassemble. 

Also the fan guard holding latches usually need to be moved with a real or makeshift tool since they are cheap pressed metal that corrode easy and don't respond to lubricant.

With home sewn mosq. net shrouds that I clean every several days, my standing swing fan is the primary gnat and mosq. filter catcher in the room...... maybe the wall and ceiling lizards catch more though, judging by  the amount of droppings they leave about. 

• Like 3