Balikbayan problem

RobH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been living in Phil for nearly 2 years now, and have a fillipina wife. I intended originally to get a SRRV but at my age I don't want to spend 20,000 USD to get it, so We go the balikbuyan route and the wife likes a trip out.

Now with the lack of flights and the problem of finding a country that will let us in. What are the alternatives, any ideas?

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Fixed Title

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, RobH said:

I have been living in Phil for nearly 2 years now, and have a fillipina wife. I intended originally to get a SRRV but at my age I don't want to spend 20,000 USD to get it, so We go the balikbuyan route and the wife likes a trip out.

Now with the lack of flights and the problem of finding a country that will let us in. What are the alternatives, any ideas?

Stay on a tourist visa until everything goes back to normal. 

• Like 1

RobH
Posted
Posted

Thank for that. does  that mean a trip to manilla ? is there a fixer I could use? Its just a complete pain to travel for me, literally.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, RobH said:

Thank for that. does  that mean a trip to manilla ? is there a fixer I could use? Its just a complete pain to travel for me, literally.

Ask a local travel agent that question. :smile: 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, RobH said:

I'm sure you can convert to a tourist visa at almost all BI offices, so you can do it at Olongapo or Angeles.

No fixers, but some travel agencies have visa services.  Check around your area.

Also, BI is responsive on their Facebook page and can specifically answer most questions.  Message them.

https://www.facebook.com/immigration.helpline.ph/

• Like 1

RobH
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all. I will get on this as soon as I can.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RobH said:

is there a fixer I could use?

There is no such thing these days. Only accredited agents with permits are allowed to enter the BI to do visas for clients. 

• Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I believe you can extend your balikbayan visa for an additional six months stay. Because of the lockdown due to Covid 19, there are temporary, special rules even for those on tourist visas.  For example, your tourist visa is automatically extended until restrictions on international travel are lifted.  You have 30 days thereafter to leave the country or get a visa extension. Check with a BI office.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There is no such thing these days. Only accredited agents with permits are allowed to enter the BI to do visas for clients. 

I am sure you are correct.  However, as I remember long ago :whistling: , it was the BI personel who WERE the fixers.  Not saying any of them fat buggers still are though. :hystery:  

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I believe you can extend your balikbayan visa for an additional six months stay. Because of the lockdown due to Covid 19, there are temporary, special rules even for those on tourist visas.  For example, your tourist visa is automatically extended until restrictions on international travel are lifted.  You have 30 days thereafter to leave the country or get a visa extension. Check with a BI office.  

But the balikbayan privilege is not a visa, I agree with JGF that you would need to go the tourist visa route.  After all, if the BOI is now (mostly) open and able to issue and renew visas.   Why would they extend a balikbayan date when they can, and should in my opinion, sell a tourist visa and gain needed revenue?

• Like 2