Balikbayan problem

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

But the balikbayan privilege is not a visa, I agree with JGF that you would need to go the tourist visa route. 

That seems likely but it does raise a couple of questions.  What about an ACR card?  Does timing start for that at the renewal or is is required now (because the OP has been in PI for more than 6 months).  Is only a one month visa extension available because it's the first extension or are longer ones available (because the OP has been in PI for more than 6 months).

I realize that only BI can answer these questions but extending a Balakbyan privledge is not something I've heard about before.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I checked the Philippine Embassy (Singapore) website.  Other embassy website should have similar or identical information.  

One year Visa-free Balikbayan Stay

The Philippines’ BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM allows a one-year visa-free stay for Filipinos working overseas and for former Filipinos who have acquired citizenship in certain countries (refer to list of countries below). The visa-free stay privilege is extended to the balikbayan’s non-Filipino spouse and children, on the two conditions that (1) they enter the Philippines with the balikbayan and (2) they are citizens of a country listed below.

Former Filipino balikbayans travelling to the Philippines are advised to bring either their old Philippine passport or copy of Philippine birth certificate as proof of their former Philippine citizenship.

Accompanying family members of the balikbayan can bring appropriate supporting documents to show evidence of relationship:

• For the spouse: copy of marriage certificate
  • For each child: copy of birth certificate (indicating the balikbayan as a parent)
  • For adopted children: copy of adoption papers

EXTENSION OF STAY

Visitors who are admitted as balikbayan are given an initial stay of one (1) year. Their stay may be extended for an additional one (1), two (2) or six (6) months at the Visa Extension Section of a Bureau of immigration office. Balikbayans who have stayed in the Philippines after thirty six (36) months may be required to submit additional requirements.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

EXTENSION OF STAY

Visitors who are admitted as balikbayan are given an initial stay of one (1) year. Their stay may be extended for an additional one (1), two (2) or six (6) months at the Visa Extension Section of a Bureau of immigration office. Balikbayans who have stayed in the Philippines after thirty six (36) months may be required to submit additional requirements.

I'm fairly certain that means you can extend by converting to a tourist visa which are good for 1, 2 or 6 months.  It is not really "extending" the Balikbayan.

Some mentioned ACR card.  BI would sort that for you, I'm sure, with the appropriate fees.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The information below was published two months. I am sure other medias carried the same story.  So long as your tourist visa was valid when the lockdown started, you are okay for 30 more days after the lifting of ECQ.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/04/02/20/coronavirus-philippines-covid19-updates-foreigners-stay-home-relaxed-visa-rules

Foreigners in Philippines told to stay at home, assured of relaxed visa rules
ABS-CBN News
Posted at Apr 02 2020 12:45 PM

MANILA - The Philippines' immigration bureau on Thursday advised foreign visitors who are still in the country to comply with the community quarantine directives as it reiterated the easing of visa rules in light of measures limiting movement of people to contain the new coronavirus outbreak.

In a statement, Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente appealed to foreigners to stay at home and follow the guidelines of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) "as this is our best solution to buy time in the fight against COVID-19."

They are advised in particular not to go out to apply for visa extensions during the lockdown period.

According to Morente, foreigners "anywhere in the Philippines whose visas will expire during the (ECQ) period shall not be charged penalties, as long as they file their applications within 30 days from the lifting of the ECQ."

The eased immigration requirements for foreigners do not apply to applications filed after the lapse of 30 days from the lifting of the ECQ and for those whose visas expired before the start of the Luzon-wide ECQ on March 17.

“We are issuing this reiteration as there are still some aliens proceeding to our offices to file for extensions despite the quarantine," Morente said. "For everyone’s safety, please stay at home,” he added.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm fairly certain that means you can extend by converting to a tourist visa which are good for 1, 2 or 6 months.  It is not really "extending" the Balikbayan.

Some mentioned ACR card.  BI would sort that for you, I'm sure, with the appropriate fees.

Assuming the spouse is a former Philippines national who had changed citizenship, another option is to reapply for citizenship and become a dual passport holder.  My sisters had a lawyer research and recommend this avenue to me due to Philippines land holdings in my name.  My understanding is that, with the lifting of ECQ, the Bureau of Immigration satellite offices are open.  

RobH
Posted
Posted

I Have decided to go for a 13A. just waiting for the agent to get back to me. Thanks to everyone who gave advice.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I checked the Philippine Embassy (Singapore) website.  Other embassy website should have similar or identical information.  

You become a tourist once the year has ended and can extend as a tourist. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, RobH said:

I have been living in Phil for nearly 2 years now, and have a fillipina wife. I intended originally to get a SRRV but at my age I don't want to spend 20,000 USD to get it, so We go the balikbuyan route and the wife likes a trip out.

Now with the lack of flights and the problem of finding a country that will let us in. What are the alternatives, any ideas?

RobH's inquiry is about finding an alternative solution to his Balikbayan status without leaving the country before it expires (one year). There is a way to extend his stay up to a maximum of 36 months (3 years) total which therefore resolves his immediate problem. Perhaps RobH can post what happened after visiting the BI and what kind of status, visa, fees, etc. I am curious.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, RobH said:

I Have decided to go for a 13A. just waiting for the agent to get back to me. Thanks to everyone who gave advice.

The 13A is one route, provided the spouse still retains a Philippine passport (citizenship). Since I have a US passport, the requirement is to reapply for dual citizenship. This dual status is recognized under Philippine law, but not the US law. I would also have to pay taxes in both countries except in certain circumstances, the tax is reduced or eliminated due to tax treaties between the two countries.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

There is a way to extend his stay up to a maximum of 36 months (3 years) total which therefore resolves his immediate problem.

14 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You become a tourist once the year has ended and can extend as a tourist. 

Its been tried many times JJ.  But if you can find a case where the BB is actually extended NOT as a tourist then we will believe you.  Keyboard searching cuts no ice with BI.

• Like 1