Is it legal/safe to sleep in tent on beach

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Ive been all around Philippines , on many islands and recently before lockdown had a 6 day roadtrip with a couple mates. I wouldnt recommend camping anywhere here, purely and simply because in this overpopulated country you can and never will be alone.... there are people everywhere and just when you think AAAHHH peace , someone will appear.

Even if you have nothing mush to steal you have more than some and everything is considered fair game especially if you are white and even more especially if you are alone and even even more especially if its dark. There is almost no camping culture here except in large organised groups.. and reasons there arent.. .well they i think ive explained why.

• Like 1

Edrigo Salvadore
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Ive been all around Philippines , on many islands and recently before lockdown had a 6 day roadtrip with a couple mates. I wouldnt recommend camping anywhere here, purely and simply because in this overpopulated country you can and never will be alone.... there are people everywhere and just when you think AAAHHH peace , someone will appear.

This thread sure did give me a reality check. Thanks everyone.

I have been watching youtubers such as Harald Baldr who has been around a lot in rural areas, in India, Sri Lanka, Philippines etc. and had a lot of adventures exploring the nature. I have never seen anyone sleep in a tent alone in SEA though.

It is fun to go around on google maps, and dream about visiting different places in the middle of nowhere.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

During your first visit you will come to understand how things are there. Edrigo don't be put off Philippines can be a wonderful fun place to visit or live.

• Like 2

Edrigo Salvadore
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

During your first visit you will come to understand how things are there. Edrigo don't be put off Philippines can be a wonderful fun place to visit or live.

I have actually been in the Philippines first time 2006, and later 2008, I lived for almost one year in Manila. I did not have a driving licence, and spent most of my time in Ortigas, Makati and The fort, and only went on vacations to Boracay and Puerto Galera. I always wanted to explore more. I have been in Cebu, Davao, CDO, Palawan, Tagaytay, Alabang, and Palawan, but just for a few days each.

Two years ago I visited Angeles City, Pampanga, got my shoes stolen and my phone almost pickpocketed, so I understand there are bad shameless people there.

Edited by Edrigo Salvadore

Freebie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Edrigo Salvadore said:

I have actually been in the Philippines first time 2006, and later 2008, I lived for almost one year in Manila. I did not have a driving licence, and spent most of my time in Ortigas, Makati and The fort, and only went on vacations to Boracay and Puerto Galera. I always wanted to explore more. I have been in Cebu, Davao, CDO, Palawan, Tagaytay, Alabang, and Palawan, but just for a few days each.

Two years ago I visited Angeles City, Pampanga, got my shoes stolen and my phone almost pickpocketed, so I understand there are bad shameless people there.

Go to interesting places where you can get sort of lost... Bantayan, Camotes, Siquijor, Guimaras, Batanes, Romblon Burias, Caramoan Southern Leyte etc. Its fun travelling on buses and ferries and even more fun finding yourself in out of the way places. Airbnb was  excellent for this for me... hopefully Airbnb survives this current period.  And motorbile rental in all these places was very small, some places less than P 200 a day.

In all the above places I mentioned I never once had a threat of danger and encountered friendly interesting and helpful people. Take the road less well travelled !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

If the topic/idea has switched from camping on beaches or in front of waterfront owners property... to traveling around and staying at AirBnb's or similar... whole different story.  Not uncommon and many have done this and had a great time.  One thing to keep in mind on traveling off the beaten path... it's harder in the Philippines to know when you're in a bad/unfriendly neighborhood until it's too late... don't go to local bars after dark, don't tell anyone where you're staying, don't trust anyone who is trying hard to be your "friend".... assume anything can happen at any time. 

• Like 3

Edrigo Salvadore
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Joey G said:

If the topic/idea has switched from camping on beaches or in front of waterfront owners property... to traveling around and staying at AirBnb's or similar... whole different story. 

I would like to do a trip on my motorcycle and don´t have to plan ahead too much, but I guess I have to do some homework first and find some places to stay, perhaps I could ask around a bit for cheap hotels. In Thailand I sometimes ask around for a "thai room", which is only $3-5 a night, but very basic. Is there something similar here? I think you guys would not know about it.

Edited by Edrigo Salvadore

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Edrigo Salvadore said:

$3-5 a night, but very basic. Is there something similar here?

Back packing was big pre covid. There are hostels and B@B's scattered all over the place that cater to them. We have one near our house, basically a room with bunk beds in it. If i remember right about 10 USD a night. I was told that the back packers have their own face book group and that's how they keep each other informed about where these places are world wide. 

More research for you:thumbsup: to do 

jimeve
Posted
Posted

There's a small beach resort near where I live, Bacong Negros Oriental. They have tents for rent 250p a night.Can't think whats it called. :89:

Joey G
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Edrigo Salvadore said:

I would like to do a trip on my motorcycle and don´t have to plan ahead too much, but I guess I have to do some homework first and find some places to stay, perhaps I could ask around a bit for cheap hotels. In Thailand I sometimes ask around for a "thai room", which is only $3-5 a night, but very basic. Is there something similar here? I think you guys would not know about it.

Here's my 2 cents on driving around the country on a motorcycle in the Philippines...  IF you are involved in a accident with a local... things will get messy and possibly ugly. Totally get the adventure part of it... but accidents here are common and the legal system is stacked hard against you.  Riding here is like going to a motocross race that's being held in the streets.  Thats just something to consider,  if you're comfortable riding, go for it... there are more and more small hole in the wall hotels popping up in many small towns, so finding a place to sleep might not be as hard as it was awhile back.  

• Like 2