Recreational Fishing?

DaveB
Posted
Posted

I have heard about dynamite fishing.  It's actually illegal for Filipinos, too, though hardly enforced - or it just might be illegal in certain protected marine areas, and highly discouraged elsewhere.  Really messes up the coral and seascape in general.  In fact, I wonder if there is any fishing enforcement in general.  The whole subject is just one empty mystery.  Unless someone pops up with some insight, I'll likely just have to get there and talk to the locals.  And I won't be surprised if I get a different answer at every province and town I go to - kind of created around their particular set of customs, but nothing else.  Not an earth shaking problem for me, just one of those random curiosities that popped in my head one day recently when I was out on a charter boat here in Washington.

Joey G
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, graham59 said:

A friend of mine goes fishing here.... (in North Luzon) :

Never knew that largemouth bass were brought into the Philippines... being so warm, I wonder if they would get as big as they do in Florida and SoCal.... 

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, DaveB said:

I have heard about dynamite fishing.  It's actually illegal for Filipinos, too, though hardly enforced - or it just might be illegal in certain protected marine areas, and highly discouraged elsewhere.  Really messes up the coral and seascape in general.  In fact, I wonder if there is any fishing enforcement in general.  The whole subject is just one empty mystery.  Unless someone pops up with some insight, I'll likely just have to get there and talk to the locals.  And I won't be surprised if I get a different answer at every province and town I go to - kind of created around their particular set of customs, but nothing else.  Not an earth shaking problem for me, just one of those random curiosities that popped in my head one day recently when I was out on a charter boat here in Washington.

It is definitely illegal to use dynamite for fishing. At Malapascaul   island (North Cebu) there is like in many places extensive signs of coral damage by use of dynamite. I have seen this when diving..  Now I understand the preferred choice is cyanide or chlorine fishing which is worse for marine fauna but easier for the perpetrators.  

Enforcement is lax at best and would suspect even more so at this time.

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Joey G said:

Never knew that largemouth bass were brought into the Philippines... being so warm, I wonder if they would get as big as they do in Florida and SoCal.... 

They get bigger as I understand.  I have heard a 10lb largemouth bass is fairly common in some lakes.  There are also peacock bass here.

• 4 weeks later...
Barney
Posted
Posted
On 7/5/2020 at 2:34 AM, soupeod said:

There are a few of us around Ormoc, Leyte that go fishing in the ocean, and I have seen Pinoys with fishing poles and children with a plastic bottles with line and a hook w/worms.  I've found you need a boat or rent a boat, because of all the fishermen using nets around shore.  

I know there is a Brit on Siargao Island that has a fishing charter for deep sea fishing.  There are no organized fishing stores or events I have seen in Leyte.

I have been thinking about maybe moving to Ormoc in future - currently in Panglao but property is a bit expensive here, and now I have a son I am looking at buying somewhere. Will go and have a look after the COVID thing dies down. The fishing appeals too, I have recently bought a load of tackle but the virus meant it has all been put on hold for now.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Barney said:

I have been thinking about maybe moving to Ormoc in future - currently in Panglao but property is a bit expensive here, and now I have a son I am looking at buying somewhere. Will go and have a look after the COVID thing dies down. The fishing appeals too, I have recently bought a load of tackle but the virus meant it has all been put on hold for now.

I will just suggest that the further into open ocean you can go, I believe the safer and better the fish. Pollution is a real issue here in Davao Gulf... I don't know anything about your planned area. I refuse to eat the farmed fish here because I have witnessed, first hand, how farmed fish are handled...it is not a pretty sight.

Ocean fish should be much better and the further offshore, the better yet! Good luck and show us some photos to make us jealous of your catch!!!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

There is a 'Sport fishing - Philippines' page on FB that you might check out, if you haven't already done so.