Latest on Visas per the San Francisco Consulate

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Y'know...if you can't keep a sense of humor with this silly stuff, it'll eat ya alive.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
DaveB
Posted
Posted

Since my last post, I've been probing at immigration issues, especially as the travel advisories change.  Here's a quick synopsis.

1.  The San Francisco and LA consulates are closed.  No personal contact appointments as long as California is running amok with COVID-19 restrictions.

2.  I pinged the DC Embassy and got back the following today:

All Philippine embassies and consulates suspended visa issuance.

As a US citizen married to a Filipino national, you can travel to the Philippines at this time visa free. Just present a marriage certificate when you travel.

While in the Philippines, you can go to the nearest Bureau of Immigration office and apply for a 13a visa.

3.  My plan: going to relocate early October.  Going to take a fully prepared 13 A package with me, including all the medical screening info, and submit it in-country after I get through the new entry quarantine exercise.  If anyone sees a flaw in that logic, let me know.

4.  The airport screening appears to be (at least now) pretty organized, but thorough.  A couple nits I did pick up on that might have blind sided me: you need to have already made reservation at one of the approved quarantine hotels (I had thought they would simply assign you to one when you got there).  You go there to wait out the results of the mandatory COVID-19 testing you will undergo at that airport.  This URL has a list of approved hotels for Manila: https://www.thepoortraveler.net/2020/07/doh-accredited-hotels-quarantine-manila/.  If you're going through Clark or Cebu, need to find a similar list for them.  Also, you need to register for an e-CIF number.  This is used to label and track your testing, and you can log in and see where you stand during quarantine.  Apparently you can do that in the airport, but it's better to pre-register and have it already done.  If you go to https://www.citygardengrandhotel.com/covid-19-arriving-in-manila-during-community-quarantine.html; you get a great overview of the whole screening process, and you'll see a link for the e-CIF registration.

Also...note you have to pay for tests and for all the hotel accommodations along the way.

It's my understanding that, after getting through the testing and airport screening, and related quarantine, you're released to your destination address, and you then have to stay there for another 14 days of self-quarantine.  

Since my wife and I will both be retired as we head into the fray, we're in a position to be pretty laid back about how long it all takes.  Note there are still general restrictions for traveling to the Philippines as a tourist.  The only reason we're OK is that my wife is a dual citizen, so I am entering as the spouse of Philippine citizen.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

DaveB
Posted
Posted

By the way...just got this back from the Embassy, also:

Balikbayan visa/privilege is also suspended at this time.

So...just have to enter as a non-tourist with a short leash.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, DaveB said:

Balikbayan visa/privilege is also suspended at this time.

So...just have to enter as a non-tourist with a short leash.

I am wondering how that will work for you.

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the feedback Yeochief.  I've been suspicious about just what I was going to find at any particular point of entry, and just how much what's on the ground matches up with the Embassy information.  Main thing I'm comfortable with now is that I can get admitted - through whatever entry process works - and can work the rest from in-country.  I'll be going in through Clark Field.  Never really know if their immigration office is operating like the one in Manila, or Cebu.  Just gonna jump in there and find out.  Since my wife and I are retired and traveling together, we have a certain amount of simple, unfettered freedom to just go with the flow - so that's what we're gonna do  Hope our story ends up as well as yours.  We've been working this journey for 2 years and we're ready to go.

• Like 2

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

Make sure you have your marriage certificate DaveB.  https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/home/covid-19/arrivingintheph

Make sure to fill out the forms on this link prior to travel.  Number 4 says to fill out after check in, I would fill out prior to going to airport, a lot of folks had a hard time with this at the airport.  I filled it out after the flight.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Yeochief said:

Left San Fran on 1 August and arrived in Manila the morning of 3 August, no problems.  Young lady stamped my passport and I asked how long was the visa and she stated since I'm married to Filipino that my visa was good for a year.  COVID-19 test was done on arrival and results in less than 18 hours.

Were you with your wife when the gave you the one year Balikbayan stamp?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, DaveB said:

3.  My plan: going to relocate early October.  Going to take a fully prepared 13 A package with me, including all the medical screening info, and submit it in-country after I get through the new entry quarantine exercise.  If anyone sees a flaw in that logic, let me know.

The theory sounds good but I wonder how they'll view documents obtained in another country i.e. police clearance and medical check.    It would be more normal to gather all the documents in a particular place and apply for the visa in that same place.  

I'm not saying it will be a problem but you never know.

DaveB
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

The theory sounds good but I wonder how they'll view documents obtained in another country i.e. police clearance and medical check.    It would be more normal to gather all the documents in a particular place and apply for the visa in that same place.  

I'm not saying it will be a problem but you never know.

Thanks for the feedback Yeochief.  I've been suspicious about just what I was going to find at any particular point of entry, and just how much what's on the ground matches up with the Embassy information.  Main thing I'm comfortable with now is that I can get admitted - through whatever entry process works - and can work the rest from in-country.  I'll be going in through Clark Field.  Never really know if their immigration office is operating like the one in Manila, or Cebu.  Just gonna jump in there and find out.  Since my wife and I are retired and traveling together, we have a certain amount of simple, unfettered freedom to just go with the flow - so that's what we're gonna do  Hope our story ends up as well as yours.  We've been working this journey for 2 years and we're ready to go.

• Like 1