Latest on Visas per the San Francisco Consulate

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Heeb said:

I still don’t know why I miss it over there.

That's the million peso question.  I brought my wife and her son to Canada and I don't miss the Philippines as the moment.  Perhaps a year from now I will miss the fun atmosphere that used to surround the Philippines but it sure does not seem to be there now.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Heeb said:

he EVO rep said they are having a hard time figuring out what the rules of entry are into Manila, and sometimes they change midair but they are expected to already comply,

I can understand that.

17 hours ago, Heeb said:

I still don’t know why I miss it over there.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder or when you finally get here and find you wish you weren't  :rolleyes:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Perhaps a year from now I will miss the fun atmosphere that used to surround the Philippines but it sure does not seem to be there now.  

There is still fun here Dave. Just yesterday I was having fun dropping water filled balloons from my window on people below. Just got to improvise  these days as to what's fun and not. :umbrella_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I can understand that.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder or when you finally get here and find you wish you weren't  :rolleyes:

That's odd, I thought the saying went "abstinence makes the &*^$# grow stronger". :whistling:

• Like 1

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Real consternation per the Aug 8 rule that all foreign spouses now have to have permanent visas.   It states we are supposed to go get these visas from the Consulate in the country where we live before entering the Philippines.  I started this particular post because of one fundamental problem: the damn consulates in the US are NOT issuing ANY visas.  I've had this confirmed twice from the San Francisco consulate - and now they are persona non grata in general since the entire state of California is shut down.  I've also communicated with the DC Embassy, and they, as of a week ago, confirmed they are NOT issuing any visas - just go the immigration gate and enter as a tourist, per being the spouse of a Philippine citizen.  Then I got confirmation from some travelers that they went through with the old Balikbayan privilege, just a week ago.  In short...totally getting 180 degree conflicting information from two different Philippine agencies.  I guess that shouldn't  surprise me, but damn, it's sure frustrating.

I'll ping the DC Embassy again tomorrow, and send a copy of the new notice from JollyGoodFellow, and see what kind of response we're getting this week.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, DaveB said:

Real consternation per the Aug 8 rule that all foreign spouses now have to have permanent visas.   It states we are supposed to go get these visas from the Consulate in the country where we live before entering the Philippines.  I started this particular post because of one fundamental problem: the damn consulates in the US are NOT issuing ANY visas.  I've had this confirmed twice from the San Francisco consulate - and now they are persona non grata in general since the entire state of California is shut down.  I've also communicated with the DC Embassy, and they, as of a week ago, confirmed they are NOT issuing any visas - just go the immigration gate and enter as a tourist, per being the spouse of a Philippine citizen.  Then I got confirmation from some travelers that they went through with the old Balikbayan privilege, just a week ago.  In short...totally getting 180 degree conflicting information from two different Philippine agencies.  I guess that shouldn't  surprise me, but damn, it's sure frustrating.

I'll ping the DC Embassy again tomorrow, and send a copy of the new notice from JollyGoodFellow, and see what kind of response we're getting this week.

Confusing as hell for the airlines too, as they are the ones that should be checking at origin of the flight to make sure you have everything needed.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, DaveB said:

just go the immigration gate and enter as a tourist, per being the spouse of a Philippine citizen.  Then I got confirmation from some travelers that they went through with the old Balikbayan privilege, just a week ago. 

Seems to me that what was allowed before is not now. I dont think it would be a good idea just to enter as a tourist as it says that is no longer allowed. 

Morente pointed out that prior to the issuance of said IATF-EID resolution, non-visa required
foreign nationals married to Filipinos were indeed allowed to enter the country upon
presentation of their marriage certificates and other proof of their matrimonial relationship.
"But that is no longer the case with the issuance of this latest IATF-EID resolution . Foreign
spouses of Filipinos must now secure entry visas from our Consulates abroad before traveling
to the Philippines. Otherwise, they will be denied entry by our immigration officers and sent
back to their ports of origin," Morente warned.
BI Port Operations Acting Chief Grifton Medina disclosed th

Here is a PDF of press release if that helps

https://immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2020_Yr/08_Aug/2020Aug08_Press.pdf

Also I dont think the red makers were in previous post but might be wrong but look at the bottom of the image

116819228_1770905093048190_927680219073065588_n.jpg

• Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2020 at 2:50 AM, DaveB said:

Since my last post, I've been probing at immigration issues, especially as the travel advisories change.  Here's a quick synopsis.

1.  The San Francisco and LA consulates are closed.  No personal contact appointments as long as California is running amok with COVID-19 restrictions.

2.  I pinged the DC Embassy and got back the following today:

All Philippine embassies and consulates suspended visa issuance.

As a US citizen married to a Filipino national, you can travel to the Philippines at this time visa free. Just present a marriage certificate when you travel.

While in the Philippines, you can go to the nearest Bureau of Immigration office and apply for a 13a visa.

3.  My plan: going to relocate early October.  Going to take a fully prepared 13 A package with me, including all the medical screening info, and submit it in-country after I get through the new entry quarantine exercise.  If anyone sees a flaw in that logic, let me know.

In my experience I found it  easier to apply for the 13A whilst in the Philippines.

If applying in Manila, make two files, one for the BI with all the original copies, and one for you for your records. If submitting it through a local BI office then make an extra one for them to keep. (photocopies are fine)

The master file, with the originals, will be forwarded to Manila. Your file will be useful when you need to apply for the full 13A after a year, as the initial will be a one year probationary one.

No medical or police checks from your home country are required. Most things can be done online. The only thing which took any time was going to local NBI office to apply for the NBI clearance. The NBI check is only required if you have been in the Philippines for six months or more.

Copies of your marriage and your wife’s birth certificate can be obtained from the PSA.

https://www.psaserbilis.com.ph/Default.aspx

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/FORMS/18Dec2015/BI FORM V-I-002-Rev 1.1.pdf

Just a couple of points as advised to me by my local BI office, who were very helpful.

The submitted documents should be in a white file cover.

Item 1, the joint letter, should be firstly from your wife as the petitioner,  and then from you as the applicant. It should be personally address to the Commissioner, Mr. Jaime Morente.

It should include brief details of your relationship and your intention to settle in the Philippines. 

Item 7 on the checklist (BI Clearance Certificate) you don’t need, as it will be provided by the BI as part of the process.

Item 8 you probably won’t need. 

53DC6D57-AC76-427D-9E9D-B7F430737484.png

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Tried calling Los Angeles and San Francisco consulates today, no way to get through automated messages, both websites show no visa services available at this time, I suspect the goofballs over there (Philippines) will wake up and rescind this nonsense. 

BD71B717-7889-468B-A3A5-D2B5B350FC3B.png

C6683EB6-9607-4B99-966C-4112CD10B047.png

• I'm Confused 1
  • Sad 2

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Update du jour.  First I got an email back from the DC Embassy.  They said the consulates in California ARE open, and to go there for a visa.  So checked their website in Frisco and noticed one promising change: the "Visa" icon that was removed for the last couple months is now back.  So sent them an email (and by the way, Heeb, I've found lately I'm getting decent, often same day, response on email requests.  The info between the Embassy and the Consulates always seems just a little out of synch, but at least you get an actual immigration agent to respond.)  Anyway, I got back the following terse message from the Frisco Consulate:

"Kindly scan and email the following documents for evaluation to visa@philippinessanfrancisco.org:

1. Foreign spouses and parents/children should also show proof of marriage or filiation (marriage certificate or birth certificate).

2. Together with proof of citizenship of the Filipino spouse or parent/child and proof that the Filipino spouse or parent/child will be traveling with them or is living in the Philippines. (Valid passport, IDs. etc)

3. Applicant’s valid passport"

That's the whole email response.  Not sure what they're up to or what they'll do with the info if I scan it and send it.  Almost sounds like they first want to verify you are authorized for spousal-related coverage.  And then what?  Special visa?  9A tourist visa?  Balikbayan stamp?  So...I responded by asking if I can take them this 13A packet I've been assembling.  That would be a great answer if they say yes - puts me back where I was trying to be 2 months ago, and all of this might be a blessing in disguise.  Barring that, or if they just don't respond, I'll send them the info they request in their email and see what happens.  I'll let ya know how it goes.

• Like 3