Latest on Visas per the San Francisco Consulate

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, DaveB said:

I'm always a bit nervous sending someone my passport - especially since the USPS these days is in a bit of a slowdown, but I'll go for it if I have to. 

Don't use USPS.  If the embassy uses a PO Box address, ask them for correct physical address to use and then use FEDEX / UPS or similar for the passport.  The carriers like FEDEX can't deliver to a PO BOX.  The extra cost is worth the piece of mind.

The 447 Sutter St. is probably correct, but have them verify.  Sometimes they have a special address for physical deliveries.

• Like 1

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Ahhh...good idea...good advice.  Thanks.  I know they're on Sutter Street (been there a few times), but hadn't thought about where they might take deliveries.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I do hear what you say. I did consider doing it when I was last in the UK. Having researched it, and realized that in my case it would require two visits (at least) to the Philippine Embassy in London, that would have entailed two long, and expensive, return rail journeys, plus two overnights in a hotel. That would be a minimum of four days faffing around just visiting the embassy.  I would also have had to get the medical and police checks. The advantage, as you say, would be a permanent 13A from day one.

As my local BI (which is less than 30 minutes from me) can accept 13A applications the process was very straightforward with minimum inconvenience. As the BI office is in one of the larger malls here, it was easily combined with a regular shopping trip. The most time consuming part was the NBI clearance which took less than an hour. 
Of course it wouldn’t be nearly as convenient if I had to travel any distance to a BI office, possibly on another island but as I mentioned, my experience, like yours was quite painless.

In view of the uncertainties experienced by the OP regarding the current limited or non existent services offered by Philippine embassies and consulates abroad, it’s certainly another option worth considering by the OP.

Understood - we had a large Philippines Consulate in Hong Kong which made it painless - had I had to travel to process the 13A I would likely have just done it here like you.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Changing their minds like the weather ?  :rolleyes:

imageproxy.jpg

• Thanks 2

DaveB
Posted
Posted

I think I'm at the end of this particular journey (unless rules change tomorrow).  I've had some excellent interaction with the Consulate in San Francisco.  I thought I'd post this email from them in its entirety, even though it does repeat a fair amount of the prior discussion in this posting thread.  It's a good, and complete, synopsis of that Consulate's approach to issuing a 9A visa, while working around COVID-19 restrictions.  By extension, much of this also likely applies to those seeking help from the Chicago consulate, or the DC Embassy - though their specific COVID-19 restraints might be different (San Francisco is simply not seeing anyone in person).

"PHILIPPINE CONSULATE GENERAL

ATTN: VISA SECTION

447 SUTTER ST 6TH FLR

SAN FRANCISCO CA 94108

All in-person application are all suspended, by mail only.

9(A) Temporary Visitor’s Visa

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Foreign spouses and parents/children should also show proof of marriage or filiation (copy of marriage certificate or birth certificate).

2. Together with proof of citizenship of the Filipino spouse or parent/child and proof that the Filipino spouse or parent/child will be traveling with them or is living in the Philippines. (Copy of valid passport, IDs. etc)

3. Original Passport of applicant (valid at least 6 months from return date.

4. Duly-accomplished Non-Immigrant visa application form (http://philippinessanfrancisco.org/uploads/pdfs/Non_immigrant.pdf), typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink, and NOTARIZED.

5. Travel Itinerary

6. One (1) colored photo, 2” x 2”, taken within six months before the date of application, showing a clear front view of applicant’s face, with a white background. No sleeveless attire. Blurred or low quality photos are not accepted. 

7. Proof of Financial Capacity (photocopy of latest bank statement and an employment certificate from the employer indicating position and salary, or affidavit of support), for Tourist Visa (for pleasure only).

8. Self-addressed return envelope, with appropriate stamps for express or priority mail with tracking numbers via US Postal Service, or with pre-paid mailing envelope from private courier of choice, if Passport with Visa is to be mailed back.

9. Visa fee, according to fee schedule below (non-refundable), payable in cash or money order made payable to "Embassy of the Philippines" (or "Philippine Consulate General", if application is made at one of the Philippine Consulates General in the U.S.). Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted. 

For nationals of countries with visa agreement with the Philippines: 

1. Single entry valid for three (3) months US$ 30.00

2. Multiple entry valid for six (6) months US$ 60.00 

3. Multiple-entry valid for twelve (12) months US$ 90.00 

Note: The Philippine Embassy/Consulate General assumes no responsibility for any delay or loss in the mail, or while the documents are in the custody of the courier service. The applicant should note the tracking numbers of all envelopes used and submitted. 

Visa processing will take 1-2 weeks, if the documents received are complete.

Sincerely,

VISA SECTION

Philippine Consulate General

447 Sutter Street, 6th Floor

San Francisco, CA, 94108

Like us: https://www.facebook.com/PHinSF

Follow us: https://twitter.com/PHinSF"

Now...just gotta get the beast in the mail and launch my way over the ocean - will file the 13A package when I get into the Philippines.

• Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
On 8/12/2020 at 10:05 PM, graham59 said:

Changing their minds like the weather ?  :rolleyes:

imageproxy.jpg

Interestingly it makes no mention of the 13A visa. But as the SRRV visa remains valid then I would guess the 13A remains valid also! I would hope there will be a clarification notice updating this clarification notice sometime soon!:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Interestingly it makes no mention of the 13A visa. But as the SRRV visa remains valid then I would guess the 13A remains valid also! I would hope there will be a clarification notice updating this clarification notice sometime soon!:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Haven't they communicated several times that foreigners married to a Filipino are able to enter - this would automatically cover the 13A holders? 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

Haven't they communicated several times that foreigners married to a Filipino are able to enter - this would automatically cover the 13A holders? 

Yes, I believe they have. But you would have thought that any clarification which details so many visa categories would include the 13A. Not doing so just adds another level of potential confusion in the minds of visa processing staff! And we all know who will be worse affected by any such misunderstanding!

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
On 8/14/2020 at 8:29 AM, Huggybearman said:

Interestingly it makes no mention of the 13A visa.

I would think that the etc... would cover any approved visa.  Since it was prior approved and has not expired.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

I would think that the etc... would cover any approved visa.  Since it was prior approved and has not expired.

I think you are right. That’s my thought also. And that is the sensible, pragmatic view. Trouble is we are not always dealing with people who are either sensible or pragmatic. 

• Hmm thinking 1