Latest on Visas per the San Francisco Consulate

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Multiple entry for a year for $90 is a deal, but I would guess that there are a few other fees to add in.

But if staying longer than 59 days must extend like any other tourist.

MULTIPLE ENTRY – Traveller must enter the Philippines within six (6) or twelve (12) months from the date of the visa’s issuance. Maximum allowable stay is fifty-nine (59) days per trip.

For those who wish to extend beyond fifty-nine (59) days, the foreign national must apply for visa extension at the nearest immigration office at least one week prior to the expiration of the valid stay.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

But if staying longer than 59 days must extend like any other tourist.

Oh, I didn't see that part.  Still might save some money for some people and especially for those who have some specific plans, like Dave B.  Over in October on a scouting trip, back for Xmas, then a move later??

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Oh, I didn't see that part.  Still might save some money for some people and especially for those who have some specific plans, like Dave B.  Over in October on a scouting trip, back for Xmas, then a move later??

Could be. I have not really looked into but did remember that multi entry sort of has restrictions so looked that part up again.

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Once upon I time I said to my bride "hey...let's go retire in the Philippines".  Sure sounded easy enough when I said it.  Man has the plot thickened since.  Anyway, I note some of the recent discussion with a few key points jumping out at me:

1.  I've been taking "9A visa with multiple re-entry for one year" at face value.  I note some hedging that there might be more to the story than appears on the surface.  I personally was surprised to find it was even an option, as all prior inquiry had described the 9A as a 60 day visa - but renewable.  For this upcoming trip, which is really an extended version of the "exploration" trip we were going to take back in April, we're pretty flexible.  I'm just gonna throw my hat in that ring and sort out whatever comes as I go.  I'm admittedly in a bit of a unique situation in that I can do that - don't have much riding on this one, so I'll wing it.  Then I'll be sure to pass along whatever comes my way so others are better prepared.  Happy to be the guinea pig.  As I said before...if I get bounced, I'll go some place else, goof off, and regroup.

2.  Someone mentioned some hard nosed activity in the Seoul airport - like COVID testing even for people just transferring.  Would love to hear more about that.  We're on the cusp of actually buying our tickets.  So far, I haven't been able to find any discussion on the places I've been regarding unique Inchon processing for transits.  We are trying to connect through to Clark Field, rather than Manila.  That means, for 90% of the options, go through either Seoul or Hong Kong.  Hong Kong makes me nervous - don't know the Philippines' stance on flights from there right now, though I don't see any notifications about restrictions, either.  Since the Philippines is treating EVERYONE from EVERYWHERE the same at immigration, maybe the China fear factor is no longer unique?  Anyway, we've been looking hard at Seoul as a transfer point.  If that has some nasty hassles, we might bite the bullet, go with the low risk channel west coast to Manila (groan), and then down the road to Angeles City (groan again). 

We have a go/no go point this week.  Buy tickets and send a copy to the Consulate to demonstrate our itinerary, and then wait two weeks for Visa to come back - puts us end of the month or early September for the visa in hand.  Gotta go for it.

• Like 2

DaveB
Posted
Posted

This is the restriction advisory for S.Korea per the Korean Air "Entry Restrictions by Countries" website:

"Any passenger transiting in Korea must have a confirmed connecting ticket and transit within 24 hours".  That's it...nothing about COVID testing (a lot of other restrictions are shown if you happen to be entering Korea - but nothing else for transits).

This from the  US Embassy in Korea travel advisory of Aug 6:

"Most passengers transiting through Korean airports (who do not pass through immigration) have no quarantine requirement for stays less than 24 hours.  However, transit passengers may need to undergo temperature checks or fill out health questionnaires."

From those observations, Inchon seems to be the safe option for transfers.  If someone has anything specific they can pass along that changes any of the above, please let me know.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, DaveB said:

This is the restriction advisory for S.Korea per the Korean Air "Entry Restrictions by Countries" website:

"Any passenger transiting in Korea must have a confirmed connecting ticket and transit within 24 hours".  That's it...nothing about COVID testing (a lot of other restrictions are shown if you happen to be entering Korea - but nothing else for transits).

This from the  US Embassy in Korea travel advisory of Aug 6:

"Most passengers transiting through Korean airports (who do not pass through immigration) have no quarantine requirement for stays less than 24 hours.  However, transit passengers may need to undergo temperature checks or fill out health questionnaires."

From those observations, Inchon seems to be the safe option for transfers.  If someone has anything specific they can pass along that changes any of the above, please let me know.

I couldn't find anything on a google search either, there was something on covid testing required for passengers arriving and transferring FROM the Philippines, apparently there were a lot of covid positive Filipinos arriving in Korea from Manila, I booked my flight on PAL regardless. I'm bringing a bicycle and Korean air requires a dedicated hard case which would cost me some coin, and I'm bringing mine in a cardboard bike box I scrounged free from REI, plus I will go non-stop from LAX which is a plus, their prices aren't too bad either IMO.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I just purchased my burner ticket, prices went back down again, a few weeks ago I couldn’t find a Hong Kong flight for under $300, only paid $24 dollars for this ticket.

82A52477-E49A-419F-B6AE-6CC7882C21CC.jpeg

• Like 5

Heeb
Posted
Posted

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/08/23/20/philippines-tightens-screening-of-arriving-foreigners-claiming-to-have-filipino-spouses

So even after all the hassle of getting a visa I can still get turned away if someone doesn’t like my answers.

”In ordering stricter screening protocols for arriving foreigners, Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente said, "It is not enough that they have entry visas, marriage and birth certificates in their possession."

Medina said foreigners may undergo a "secondary inspection" if there are inconsistencies in their answers to questions of Immigration officers”

Joey G
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Heeb said:

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/08/23/20/philippines-tightens-screening-of-arriving-foreigners-claiming-to-have-filipino-spouses

So even after all the hassle of getting a visa I can still get turned away if someone doesn’t like my answers.

”In ordering stricter screening protocols for arriving foreigners, Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente said, "It is not enough that they have entry visas, marriage and birth certificates in their possession."

Medina said foreigners may undergo a "secondary inspection" if there are inconsistencies in their answers to questions of Immigration officers”

Reading this article... I guess they have good reason...  the knuckleheads from S. Korea were probably up to no good and got caught. Anything is possible... but if your a legitimate spouse and have your paperwork in order I think one would be OK. 

• Like 4

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Reading this article... I guess they have good reason...  the knuckleheads from S. Korea were probably up to no good and got caught. Anything is possible... but if your a legitimate spouse and have your paperwork in order I think one would be OK. 

That would be true in most cases but remember we aren’t always dealing with logical or honest people sometimes, this is the international airport where a bullet scam was allowed to operate for quite awhile. Besides I think the S Koreans tried to get in before the new visa requirement, I think the reason for the new requirement to go through the consulate was to filter these people out, so now I’m at the whim of someone who decides if I’m legitimate or not.

Edited by Heeb
  • Like 3