Banking in Barangay

mgoodbar46
Posted
Posted

Recently, I've been having trouble with my US BANK blocking my account for so called "suspicious activity".  My check is deposited in the bank.  But when my wife went to  get money for groceries, we found there was a hold on the account.  Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get around this issue?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, mgoodbar46 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get around this issue?

Yep, contact your bank and tell them where you are just like one would if its a credit card. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

mgoodbar46
Posted
Posted

Up until last month, I never had a problem with my bank in the US.  Than, last month they disabled my card "due to suspicious activity.", Which they couldn't fully explain.  And last night I received and alert for an activity that said I should contact the bank if the so called activity was an unauthorised one.  Since I recognised the  activity, I did not call.  Then, when my wife went to the market, she could not withdraw funds because the account had been frozen.  I'm changing banks.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, mgoodbar46 said:

Up until last month, I never had a problem with my bank in the US.  Than, last month they disabled my card "due to suspicious activity.", Which they couldn't fully explain.  And last night I received and alert for an activity that said I should contact the bank if the so called activity was an unauthorised one.  Since I recognised the  activity, I did not call.  Then, when my wife went to the market, she could not withdraw funds because the account had been frozen.  I'm changing banks.  

Im sure if you contacted them you can work it out but if you dont then nothing will change.  No point changing banks as they are trying to protect you and might be something going on you dont know about..

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, mgoodbar46 said:

Since I recognised the  activity, I did not call. 

You might have recognized it, but obviously they didn't. They have your money and the power..........I strongly suggest you kall them my friend. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, mgoodbar46 said:

I assume you are talking about using an ATM / debit card?  Most banks are going to have some kind of security flagging so changing banks may not help.  What does help is if the bank has a good system of notifying you of the questionable transaction and immediately resolving it. 

If they notified you and didn't require a response if the transaction was a good one, that is not the best system.  I don't use ATM cards here, but I use my Capital One credit card here a lot, and I like the alert system they have developed over the years.  If there is a transaction flagged, I get an e-mail with a green "good to go" button, and a red "no that wasn't me" button.  You have to chose one and then it goes to their web site and says "Ok, you are good to go".  I never had to use the red button yet.  They don't shut you down unless you don't respond within X hours or you push the red button.

In 2008 Capital One flagged a problem and shut my card down.  When I called them, they acted like I was the perp and did not want to give me any information.  It took me months to fix it and get a new card.  I was really pissed and almost dropped them.  I'm glad I didn't because they have been great ever since, and now have a good security system that protects me.

Just yesterday, I found out that I have a lingering problem due to that incident in 2008.  I will make another post about it.

Some members might be able to give better advice if you name the bank.

• Like 2

roddavis
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, mgoodbar46 said:

I am guessing that the suspicious activity is because you are using your ATM card in the Phils! To the US Bank, that is suspicious! As Geoff's back sends emails, others like mine (USAA) also lock your account unless you have posted a travel advisory( to what country your traveling and if so for what duration). So I repost mine every 6 months online or can call customer service to extend! Different banks, different ways they notify or lock accounts due to charges overseas! Just call customer service to advise you are traveling in which country and for how long. You do not want to say you are living here, cuz some banks don't like having your address outside the USA. Yeah, I'm on vacation! That's the ticket!!!!!     :mocking:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Rather than guessing and second guessing what the issue is, and certainly rather than closing your account, it really is best to make a call and find out what's going on - I'm sure it is easily resolved with a call.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mgoodbar46 said:

Had same thing happen many times.. banks, credit cards, money transfer companies.  If they are dealing with your cash and they get suspicious then will freeze your account until you call and explain OR I have had one compay (XOOM) say they don't want to deal with me anymore and that was in the middle of an approved transaction.  I never got that money but they did return it to the source.

Changing banks won't help.  They all do it.  All it takes is finding a freakin phone that will call the company.  That is frustrating.  I was on a cell phone calling my bank on an 800 number and it still used up 500 pesos load and cut me off when my load ran out.  The world is going nuts.  Deal with it.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was on a cell phone calling my bank on an 800 number and it still used up 500 pesos load and cut me off when my load ran out.  The world is going nuts.  Deal with it.

Skype calls are cheap

• Like 1
  • Love it 1