strange census

peterfe
Posted
Posted

This morning my partner told me a woman had come to the house doing a census. So now I'm one of the 100 or so million people who live here, even though it says "tourist" on my ACR card. Well, that's doesn't matter so much, but my partner had also included everybody else who spent last night here. As there was a birthday party in the family, it included grandma, one nephew and one niece, all of whom don't normally sleep here. I suppose the census woman will go to the houses where those people normally live (maybe they'll be back there by then) and they'll be counted again. Well, maybe that doesn't matter either... :89::whatever:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, peterfe said:

I suppose the census woman will go to the houses where those people normally live (maybe they'll be back there by then) and they'll be counted again. Well, maybe that doesn't matter either... :89::whatever:

From a statistics point of view it's a difference that doesn't make a difference (or at least only to the statistical noise).

Because the census covers such a large number of houses and an even larger number of people the number of people that will be double counted will be (roughly) counteracted by the people in the reverse situation who aren't counted at all (eg if your relatives were with you and at home when the other place was being counted).

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/11/2020 at 10:53 AM, peterfe said:

This morning my partner told me a woman had come to the house doing a census. So now I'm one of the 100 or so million people who live here, even though it says "tourist" on my ACR card. Well, that's doesn't matter so much, but my partner had also included everybody else who spent last night here. As there was a birthday party in the family, it included grandma, one nephew and one niece, all of whom don't normally sleep here. I suppose the census woman will go to the houses where those people normally live (maybe they'll be back there by then) and they'll be counted again. Well, maybe that doesn't matter either... :89::whatever:

If I recall Australian census night it asked something like who is there on that night so same l think .

Actually I looked up a sample form and yes you put in who was there. https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/2901.0Main Features802016/%24FILE/2016 Census Sample Household Form.pdf