Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I see in the news videos and other vblogs that the plastic barriers are emplaced in jeepneys and trikes and the reg. temp checks and sprays are being  used in places.  Any personally experience this yet, or have a family member report on how it is working out for them?

No more canned sardine rides for awhile it seems. Don't know what the profit margins are now,  if any..... and haven't heard about any rate increases...... except the stories my wife tells me about exorbitant demands from trike drivers if you try to use one coming out of the mall.

 

  • Hmm thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I see in the news videos and other vblogs that the plastic barriers are emplaced in jeepneys and trikes and the reg. temp checks and sprays are being  used in places.  Any personally experience this yet, or have a family member report on how it is working out for them?

No more canned sardine rides for awhile it seems. Don't know what the profit margins are now,  if any..... and haven't heard about any rate increases...... except the stories my wife tells me about exorbitant demands from trike drivers if you try to use one coming out of the mall.

 

I'm a Jeepney rider - yes, they have plastic 'curtains' seperating spaces meaning they are about 50% of previous capacity.  They are definitely more comfortable now as a result. Some have sanitiser and most have an old mat which may or may not have disinfectant! As for price - 11php compared to 8php so close to 50% premium. At peak times or on always busy routes they'll lose out compared to before but at the rest of the time they'll gain so maybe it evens itself out. With fuel prices presumeably being down that helps as well.

As for trike drivers - rarely use but the price was the same when we did. Taxis unchanged (except driver seat is enclosed in a plastic curtain) but as always a few sob stories as they try to ask for more - I give them my own sob story so usually we agree on old rate.

As an aside, the malls are strange places now, and kinda depressing. Eating alone even you're not isn't the best and makes no sense - if you're shopping with someone you're surely able to eat at the same table!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Forum Manager
7 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I see in the news videos and other vblogs that the plastic barriers are emplaced in jeepneys and trikes and the reg. temp checks and sprays are being  used in places.  Any personally experience this yet, or have a family member report on how it is working out for them?

No more canned sardine rides for awhile it seems. Don't know what the profit margins are now,  if any..... and haven't heard about any rate increases...... except the stories my wife tells me about exorbitant demands from trike drivers if you try to use one coming out of the mall.

 

Depends where you live. Here in Cebu, nothing because we are ECQ. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I see in the news videos and other vblogs that the plastic barriers are emplaced in jeepneys and trikes and the reg. temp checks and sprays are being  used in places.  Any personally experience this yet, or have a family member report on how it is working out for them?

No more canned sardine rides for awhile it seems. Don't know what the profit margins are now,  if any..... and haven't heard about any rate increases...... except the stories my wife tells me about exorbitant demands from trike drivers if you try to use one coming out of the mall.

 

You need to get out, there ARE canned sardine rides going on, mainly in trikes labeled "Family Use".  And there are increases in fares in Panay, both for trikes and jeepneys.  I think they doubled the cost since they can only LEGALLY transport half as many passengers at a time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

You need to get out, there ARE canned sardine rides going on, mainly in trikes labeled "Family Use".  And there are increases in fares in Panay, both for trikes and jeepneys.  I think they doubled the cost since they can only LEGALLY transport half as many passengers at a time.

OK, Peter.  I plan on going to El Maria's late in the week with the wife. Let me know if you check out any more of the local restos. Too bad they still can't serve up beer..... or we could all resume some socially distanced expat gatherings again.  I know re Tsoki's and might make it there some late afternoon. Guess we could meet up for buko juice..... but it won't be the same.  Haha

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hobbit112 said:

You need to get out, there ARE canned sardine rides going on, mainly in trikes labeled "Family Use".  And there are increases in fares in Panay, both for trikes and jeepneys.  I think they doubled the cost since they can only LEGALLY transport half as many passengers at a time.

Trikes may have doubled their fares but Jeepneys haven't in the Iloilo area - the increase is just under 40%.  I fully understand the hike for jeepneys and trikes but not taxis - as far as I can see the number of passengers allowed to ride in a taxi remains the same.  Yes, the number of rides is less but that's something all businesses are facing but I haven't seen widespread increases in them to be honest.  

  • Hmm thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, hk blues said:

as far as I can see the number of passengers allowed to ride in a taxi remains the same. 

Hmmm.... sorry to contradict you this time HK... Maybe things are different here in Davao?

Pre-virus times, I would usually see one or two passengers climbing into or out of taxis, as you say.

But I also observed many times when it seemed like an entire house-hold would climb out - often 3-5 or more. It was like watching a telephone booth (remember those?) packing contest!

Here, now, only up to two passengers are permitted - one riding shotgun and one other in the back seat... Unless they have changed the regs again?

Edited by Tommy T.
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Hmmm.... sorry to contradict you this time HK... Maybe things are different here in Davao?

Pre-virus times, I would usually see one or two passengers climbing into or out of taxis, as you say.

But I also observed many times when it seemed like an entire house-hold would climb out - often 3-5 or more. It was like watching a telephone booth (remember those?) packing contest!

Here, now, only up to two passengers are permitted - one riding shotgun and one other in the back seat... Unless they have changed the regs again?

Regardless Tom, I just have a dislike for the way taxi drivers the world over are "at it" at every opportunity. As I said, plenty of businesses are facing the same challenges but cannot simply demand a 35-50% uplift in prices.  Now, you may ask why Jeepneys can - I'd argue their fares are down to the bone hence the reason they were permitted to increase fares.  Add to that the fact that I am already paying up to 100% over the meter fare when I use a taxi and my sympathy is at zero.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Forum Manager
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Now, you may ask why Jeepneys can - I'd argue their fares are down to the bone hence the reason they were permitted to increase fares. 

One peso in certain areas. Not much of an increase. Jeepneys are regulated by the LTFRB.

https://mb.com.ph/2020/07/07/provisional-fare-increases-gathers-mixed-reactions/

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

One peso in certain areas. Not much of an increase. Jeepneys are regulated by the LTFRB.

https://mb.com.ph/2020/07/07/provisional-fare-increases-gathers-mixed-reactions/

In my area it was an increase from 8php to 11php min. fare.  Only 3 php but a hefty %jump.  As I said in a previous post, I think the increase is valid and would even have supported a bigger increase.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...