Transporting Pet Dog

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

We are planing an extended trip to the US next year.  Most likely will be at least a year.  We want to take our pet dog along .  I know others have written about traveling with a dog but I could not find anything using the search.  I called the a few airlines and was told Ihasa Apsos were not accepted because they are considered  snub nose dog.  Our dog is a Lhasa Apsos mix.  After doing some research I found the reason for not accepting snub nose dogs is most have breathing issues because of the short snout.  Our dog is 3.5 years old and very healthy with no breathing issues.  We do plan to see her vet soon and inquire about this issue.

Formally known as brachycephalic breeds, snub nosed dogs are breeds that have a shorter than normal snouth. Pugs, Bulldogs, Boston Terriers, Shih Tzus, Pit Bull Terriers, Chow Chows and Boxers are some of the most common examples.  Although their unusual noses are their cutest feature, it’s also their most dangerous characteristic.
Their compressed sinuses make it harder for them to breathe on a regular basis, as well as it takes them longer to cool down and catch their breath after having done physical movements. Therefore, snub nosed breeds must be taken care of when flying, but this doesn’t mean that they should not undergo air travel. Keep reading to learn about proper tips to follow when flying snub nosed dogs, as well as things to consider when determining health concerns.
https://airpetsamerica.com/air-transportation-with-snub-nosed-breeds-all-you-need-to-know/
It seems there may be a way using private carrier but so far I have struck out.  Does anyone know of dog/pet flight carriers or any suggestions?

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

Edited by Jollygoodfellow

Joey G
Posted
Posted

https://www.ipata.org

There's a search for companies with this service by country embedded.

• Thanks 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, intrepid said:

Does anyone know of dog/pet flight carriers or any suggestions?

We brought our Shih Tzu, which is a snub nose, from Cebu to the US in 2016. You have to check the carrier, we flew Korean Air to DFW and American Air to Tampa. There was a weight restriction for in cabin on both airlines as I recall. The dog flew in cargo from Cebu to US with a stopover in Inchon. Korean is restricting snub nose dogs from the cabin now but it looks like they can still travel in cargo. American was the opposite, they restricted it in cargo but you could carry in cabin which is what we did. We got it through customs and just walked it on the domestic flight, no one even knew we had a dog. It wasn't bad really just make sure your shot records are up to date and have all paperwork. You need an "export permit" from the agency at the Philippine airport to get it on the plane, no big deal. Wife went back 6 months later by herself and brought back the cat. Homeland security gave her a hard time but could be because she wasn't yet a US citizen. Swabbed the inside of the cage, the whole bit. 

• Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I could only find this useful gadget for cats.  Not sure if suitable for small snub-nosed dogs.  :89:

dae059862d448621a15eccbaf2cd2742.jpg

• Haha 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Joey G said:

https://www.ipata.org

There's a search for companies with this service by country embedded.

There are several IPATA companies in Manila .  will be checking in the morning.  Thanks.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeB said:

We brought our Shih Tzu, which is a snub nose, from Cebu to the US in 2016. You have to check the carrier, we flew Korean Air to DFW and American Air to Tampa. There was a weight restriction for in cabin on both airlines as I recall. The dog flew in cargo from Cebu to US with a stopover in Inchon. Korean is restricting snub nose dogs from the cabin now but it looks like they can still travel in cargo. American was the opposite, they restricted it in cargo but you could carry in cabin which is what we did. We got it through customs and just walked it on the domestic flight, no one even knew we had a dog. It wasn't bad really just make sure your shot records are up to date and have all paperwork. You need an "export permit" from the agency at the Philippine airport to get it on the plane, no big deal. Wife went back 6 months later by herself and brought back the cat. Homeland security gave her a hard time but could be because she wasn't yet a US citizen. Swabbed the inside of the cage, the whole bit. 

I think our dog is just a little too  big to bring in the cabin.  Although if it were allowed I would be willing to purchase her a seat.  However, I don't think that would be allowed but I will now inquire.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Although if it were allowed I would be willing to purchase her a seat.

Not allowed and the cage has to fit under the seat and be big enough so it can move around some. Put him/her in cargo in a large cage. From memory Korean charged $200 to transport the dog from phils to US. American was going to charge an additional $125 to let us carry her on the domestic but the DFW ticket agent got the supervisor to waive that since we had already paid Korean. I'm sure it's more expensive now. I checked into a couple of the companies that transport pets for a fee but it was too expensive and less hassle to do it ourselves. Good that you're taking your pet with you! 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

I think our dog is just a little too  big to bring in the cabin.  Although if it were allowed I would be willing to purchase her a seat.  However, I don't think that would be allowed but I will now inquire.

Just declare the dog as an emotional support dog and it seems it can travel with you. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/pet-owners-game-emotional-support-animal-system-fly/story?id=30064532#:~:text=Federal regulations allow a legitimate,from a doctor or other

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I read the article and it sure does seem simple enough.  My mind is telling me through my wallet to go for it.  However, I just don't think my conscience would allow me to do that. :571c66d400c8c_1(103): Sometimes I wish I could override my conscience. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1