Check Deposit Phone Apps

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Not exactly about the Philippines, but maybe some of you have tried this?

I have a Traveling Mailbox account.  They do have a check deposit service but it is not free.

I was thinking about trying this.  I will have Traveling Mailbox scan the check.  I would hope they scan front and back.  Then I will download the images.  I will print the front and back, then cut them out to look like a normal check size.  Then I will endorse them and use the Chase Bank mobile banking app to deposit them.  The app takes a picture of the check, front and back.

Anybody tried?  Do you think it might work?  I know several of you have used those deposit apps on your phones.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Not exactly about the Philippines, but maybe some of you have tried this?

I have a Traveling Mailbox account.  They do have a check deposit service but it is not free.

I was thinking about trying this.  I will have Traveling Mailbox scan the check.  I would hope they scan front and back.  Then I will download the images.  I will print the front and back, then cut them out to look like a normal check size.  Then I will endorse them and use the Chase Bank mobile banking app to deposit them.  The app takes a picture of the check, front and back.

Anybody tried?  Do you think it might work?  I know several of you have used those deposit apps on your phones.

Hmmm... I will be interested in how this turns out.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Just now, earthdome said:

Hmmm... I will be interested in how this turns out.

My nephew uses the Chase phone app for check deposits and he thinks it has a good chance of working.  It would not be illegal.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

My nephew uses the Chase phone app for check deposits and he thinks it has a good chance of working.  It would not be illegal.

I have used remote check deposit using a phone app for my local credit union. I like it and it saves time. I just wonder if at some point if someone at the bank reviewing remote check deposits decided there was something funny looking about the check. They could freeze your account for a while until the problem is resolved.

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Might depend on the quality of the scan they send you... if it's picture quality, and your printer produces the same quality at the size you need, it should work.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

My mail handler in Seattle offers that service but I have not availed. Perhaps it is because I am a bit old fashioned? Anyway, I rarely receive checks, and so just have them mail the few checks directly to the bank for deposit. It works fine, but there is a fee for the service...

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

My mail handler in Seattle offers that service but I have not availed. Perhaps it is because I am a bit old fashioned? Anyway, I rarely receive checks, and so just have them mail the few checks directly to the bank for deposit. It works fine, but there is a fee for the service...

Yes, normally I would not be getting checks, but I think I have 4 on the way due to my house sale.  I asked all of them if they could EFT to my bank, but they all said no.  Traveling Mailbox charges $4.95 per check plus a min of $5.95 for the courier.  They do say you can send more than one check at a time and save on the courier costs.

Not a huge amount to pay for a large check, but 3 of the 4 are small.  I will give the Chase app a try first.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Joey G said:

Might depend on the quality of the scan they send you... if it's picture quality, and your printer produces the same quality at the size you need, it should work.  

Yes, I'm hoping it will be good.  The other items they have opened and scanned for me have been good quality.  Not super, but I think good enough.

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

It worked!  I hope!

I got my first check at Travelling Mailbox, downloaded the scan, printed it, signed the back according to Chase instructions, then used the Chase App on my phone to deposit it.

Seems to work fine.  I first got an e-mail that said it was process, then I got a follow up that $500 was available of the $730, with $230 available tomorrow.  Same status when I go online.

My check deposit limit is $5000 so I need to see if I can get that raised, as I have a larger check on the way.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It worked!  I hope!

I got my first check at Travelling Mailbox, downloaded the scan, printed it, signed the back according to Chase instructions, then used the Chase App on my phone to deposit it.

Seems to work fine.  I first got an e-mail that said it was process, then I got a follow up that $500 was available of the $730, with $230 available tomorrow.  Same status when I go online.

My check deposit limit is $5000 so I need to see if I can get that raised, as I have a larger check on the way.

Everything seems fine with my deposit.  All funds available now.

So for those of you with mailbox services, this offers a cost effective way to deposit checks.  No need to use the expensive check deposit services offered by the mailboxes or have checks forwarded to you.

• Like 3