Check Deposit Phone Apps

Joey G
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Everything seems fine with my deposit.  All funds available now.

So for those of you with mailbox services, this offers a cost effective way to deposit checks.  No need to use the expensive check deposit services offered by the mailboxes or have checks forwarded to you.

Well it sounds like you came up with an idea for anyone who wants to "write" (take a picture) a personal check and send it to someone they TRUST instantly, and then that person has the ability to deposit it without mailing or use of any other app or service except for an e-deposit with the depositors bank. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Joey G said:

Well it sounds like you came up with an idea for anyone who wants to "write" (take a picture) a personal check and send it to someone they TRUST instantly, and then that person has the ability to deposit it without mailing or use of any other app or service except for an e-deposit with the depositors bank. 

I think that would work, provided the e-deposit software accepts it as legit.  You would need pictures of the front and back of the check, print them, sign the back, then take pictures of the front and back with the e-deposit app.  Chase has some verification in there and when you submit the pictures, it tells you it has read the routing number and account number.  And a personal check would be on hold for a while too.  The one I deposited was a major business check.

Chase also offers Zelle.  I don't know exactly how it works, but it is free, uses phones, and is almost instant.  I think both parties have to have it.

https://www.zellepay.com/how-it-works

Edited by OnMyWay

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I will add one thing that could impact your ability to do a check deposit as described.

When I installed the Chase Bank Mobile App and started it for the first time, it asked to know my location.  I didn't think that would be a good idea, so I backed out.  I then installed Express VPN for my phone, set it for California, and restarted the Chase App.  This time it did not ask for my location and I proceeded with the check deposit.

Some U.S. banks may not care if you are overseas, but I did not want to chance it.  I will always use the VPN when using the Chase App.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I tried my second Traveling Mailbox / Chase Bank Phone App check deposit today.

The scan of the check from TM is fine, even the back.  When I print it, everything on the back almost disappears completely.  The lines where you sign, and some other stuff.  So I just signed it in the usual place.  Everything was accepted by the Chase app, and it is pending in my account.  It is only $39 so I think it will be fine.  I have another for $250 that I will try after that one is no longer pending.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I tried my second Traveling Mailbox / Chase Bank Phone App check deposit today.

The scan of the check from TM is fine, even the back.  When I print it, everything on the back almost disappears completely.  The lines where you sign, and some other stuff.  So I just signed it in the usual place.  Everything was accepted by the Chase app, and it is pending in my account.  It is only $39 so I think it will be fine.  I have another for $250 that I will try after that one is no longer pending.

Even with the iffy back of the check, the check is now cleared.  It took maybe 3-6 hours to be available.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/19/2020 at 2:57 PM, OnMyWay said:

The scan of the check from TM is fine, even the back.  When I print it, everything on the back almost disappears completely.

I did another check deposit for $250 last night.  Same issue with the back of the check.  When I take the picture of the back of the check, it just looks like a rectangle with my signature on one end.

They don't seem to care, after 12 hours +, the $250 is available in my account.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/31/2020 at 10:01 AM, OnMyWay said:

Seems to work fine.  I first got an e-mail that said it was process, then I got a follow up that $500 was available of the $730, with $230 available tomorrow.  Same status when I go online.

Why was it split into two payments? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Why was it split into two payments? 

Probably just the policy of the bank.  U.S. banks have a bunch of rules for check deposits and when the money is actually available to you.  I haven't paid attention to the rules for years since I don't deal with checks much and I don't need to worry about a few bucks being available at a certain time.  Not like the old, old days of long ago, living paycheck to paycheck, and floating my rent check while waiting for another check!  :hystery:

My bank probably has rules such as:

--  U.S. Government check = immediately available

--  Business check from same bank - immediately available

--  Business check from another bank - $500 available and the rest after full clearance.

--  Personal check -  XX days hold

My two other checks were under $500 and full available within 24 hours.

• Like 1