Hats off to China!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, peterfe said:

I'm not sure whether politics are supposed to be discussed on this forum, and unfortunately this issue may be difficult to discuss without being politicised, but anyway... I can't help thinking that if every country had copied exactly, or as well as they could, what the Chinese did in Wuhan and other cities, the world wouldn't be in its present coronamess. But of course other countries wouldn't, and didn't, mostly because of the p-word... OK, some countries are poor and wouldn't have the resources, but there are plenty of rich countries that could have copied China.

If I spoke Chinese and was given the choice of spending this pandemic in China or the US, I'm in no doubt at all which country I'd choose. Even without a word of Chinese, I'd probably choose China, to be 99.9% safe from Covid-19.

Peter, I understand what you are trying to say, regarding the pandemic, and keeping it contained.  Harsh controls vs. freedoms.

In the U.S.,  we have the right to speak freely against the government and it's policies.  In China, citizens have no rights at all.  To try to compare the two when they need to accomplish something big like tackling a pandemic is really not possible.  The Chinese can easily be Draconian, or worse, and we won't find out much about their tactics.  MOST everything in the U.S. is out in the open and publicized.  For example, if the U.S. acted like China during the current unrest in many cities, it would be stomped down quickly.  In fact, it would never get anywhere close to the level it is now in the U.S., because the initial protests would be met with harsh force and the dissidents would probably never be seen again.

It is true, we don't know if things on You Tube are really true.  Just like the crap we see on Facebook, we should do some due diligence and gather some validation before believing.  In the case of China, the CCP has strict control of everything, so you never know if what they say is "for the best interest of the party" or truth.  Many people, including myself, suspect the former much of the time.

If you were to be in China during the pandemic, you would probably be fine.  Unless you got it.  Then, throw all notions out the window!   Do you believe these statistics from China?  I don't.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

I do believe this story is true.  This is China and the CCP.

• Like 1

peterfe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Do you believe these statistics from China?  I don't.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

Well, the worldometers statistics, for all their faults, were what I based my view on, i.e. that China had got it right. But if they're completely wrong, and there are still actually loads of cases and deaths there, then given the choice of spending the Covid-19 time in the US or China, I might just choose the former, because at least the doctors speak English there :smile:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, peterfe said:

Well, the worldometers statistics, for all their faults, were what I based my view on, i.e. that China had got it right. But if they're completely wrong, and there are still actually loads of cases and deaths there, then given the choice of spending the Covid-19 time in the US or China, I might just choose the former, because at least the doctors speak English there :smile:

I had not looked at the China stats for quite a while, until today.  When this all started, of course they were right at the top in cases.  Now they are 26th, with only 86k cases.  Even with Draconian measures, it is hard to believe that a country with 1.4 billion was able to keep the cases that low.  Very fishy.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

I had not looked at the China stats for quite a while, until today.  When this all started, of course they were right at the top in cases.  Now they are 26th, with only 86k cases.  Even with Draconian measures, it is hard to believe that a country with 1.4 billion was able to keep the cases that low.  Very fishy.

On one hand we acknowledge the Draconian measures taken by China to control the outbreak, so surely on the other we cannot discount the success of these measures?

Do I believe the numbers - No. But, I think they're probably in the (very) rough ballpark. I'm not sure population size neccesarily dictates infection rates/ death rates - compare The UK with 60-odd million people to The Philippines with 100-odd million, and pushing aside healthcare and all the other pros in favour of The UK - it still has 20x more deaths. 

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The UK with 60-odd million people to The Philippines with 100-odd million, and pushing aside healthcare and all the other pros in favour of The UK - it still has 20x more deaths. 

Let's not forget that the Philippines has over 7100 islands, which I believe is the only reason it was not over-run with the virus.

I now realise just how over populated the UK has become in terms of city living, which caused the panic building of emergency hosptials in the Capital and Birmingham.

As for China being a first choice to live during this Pandemic, lets not forget where the virus came from in the first place!

When you play with fire your likely to get burnt. ( Stop the germ warfare production and things like this happening will be prevented )

Living in remote Areas of the world is the safest places to be right now,

Edited by Kuya John

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Let's not forget that the Philippines has over 7100 islands, which I believe is the only reason it was not over-run with the virus.

I now realise just how over populated the UK has become in terms of city living, which caused the panic building of emergency hosptials in the Capital and Birmingham.

As for China being a first choice to live during this Pandemic, lets not forget where the virus came from in the first place!

When you play with fire your likely to get burnt. ( Stop the germ warfare production and things like this happening will be prevented )

Living in remote Areas of the world is the safest places to be right now,

Whilst it's true the geography of the Philippines helped, let's also give credit to the measure taken i.e. rapid and severe lockdown, that have had an effect on the stark difference in numbers. Compare to the UK's response and we can see it's not all down to luck.

As for China being safe - all i know is that they have in place some serious track and trace tech in use - they are serious about controlling this outbreak regardless of where it originated.

Sure, living in isolation will help you avoid Covid-19 but how about the myriad of other conditions that will get you? I'd prefer to take my chances in a highly populated but well-served place.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Sure, living in isolation will help you avoid Covid-19 but how about the myriad of other conditions that will get you? I'd prefer to take my chances in a highly populated but well-served place.

Which is?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Kuya John said:

Which is?

Not here!

I genuinely believe that my chances of contracting Covid-19 are higher in the more developed and populated areas/cities but also my chances of surviving it are also much greater. All things being equal.

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Not just China either. Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand all handled it much better than most of Europe and the US. Wouldn't surprise me if the UK was classed as a 'developing nation' in 20-30 years.

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic