Foreigners arriving into the Philippines

jimeve
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The 13A would be cheaper again but I'd be faced with the ECC-B fee and travel tax.

I thought travel tax was paid when you buy an international air ticket!

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I've never paid travel tax on a tourist visa and I've been in and out of the Philippines 8 times during the past 4 years?

Edited by GeoffH

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

I think Geoff is referring to "if" he gets a 13A.  "Where" you pay outbound travel tax depends.  With some airlines you can include it with the international ticket when you buy it.  I have to decline that and buy it at the airport.  Why?  They don't have any capability of giving my kids their 50% discount.  My two little ones pay 810 while my wife, teenager and I have to cough up p1620 each.

In any case, I guess this has strayed off topic as usual, as the original topic was about "Arrivals".   :smile:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Probably once a year, I'm not clear about how much that costs with a 13A.

Does anyone have an idea?

I think OMW answered that - around 4,500php. Not insignificant.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, GeoffH said:

So 10 years of tourist visas

One other thing to consider is that it seems that BI at the airports seems to be hassling people more often now, if they are perpetual tourists.  I remember a few members mentioned that they were told they need to convert, but it does not seem to have any teeth.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

One other thing to consider is that it seems that BI at the airports seems to be hassling people more often now, if they are perpetual tourists. 

Yes I came across that attitude last time I entered the country (I admit there were a fair few entries and exits in my passport over the preceeding few years).  He did calm down a bit when I said I was engaged and I was going to apply for a permanent residence visa after we were married. 

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, RBM said:

Lots of P15Ks in $10k..

Yes depends on ones situation, for me its a 10 minute drive, free parking and in and out in a few minutes. 

No guarantee they'll give you a tourist extension though, I've had a BI office tell me they wouldn't extend mine again when I'd not even been here a year. Wouldn't want to be risking it if I'd just put 10mil+ into a house here.

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, jimeve said:

How long is a piece of string? 

Twice half the length. 😂

I was kicking around the idea of going the SRRV route. After doing the math I’ll continue getting tourist visas. Don’t want to tie up 10$ and not be sure if I’d ever see it again. The only way I’d get an SRRV would be if I did buy a condo, which is a strong possibility. But I haven’t decided where I’m going to settle down at yet, lol

As I’ve already bought my airline ticket (fully refundable and changeable at no extra cost) for the end of October I’m just hoping they lift the restrictions by then. Am thinking of emailing the Philippine’s embassy / consulate to inquire about getting the six month visa in advance and asking if that would qualify me as long stayer. Would also include a copy of my lease for the apartment I’m renting. Any thoughts or would I be wasting my time? 

Edited by Gator

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

Am thinking of emailing the Philippine’s embassy / consulate to inquire about getting the six month visa in advance and asking if that would qualify me as long stayer. Would also include a copy of my lease for the apartment I’m renting. Any thoughts or would I be wasting my time? 

At this point in time I believe all visa issuing has been put on hold. You can try it but I think wasting your time.

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, hk blues said:

For a 13A it's a one-off payment and then just 320php a year for annual report.  The way I see it, you'll break even after a year or so compared to a tourist visa and thereafter you're winning.  I think!  That said, if you are going in and out then the fees can add up.

As for SRRV, the $10,000 is dead money IF you don't go down the condo route.  But for some, there may be no better option as long as they have a spare 10k lying around.  

Horses for courses.   

Correct how ever as I understand there are a few hoops to jump through to obtain same, plus expenses and one must go through a probationary period.

Agree totally horses.....my P15k included express fees, my case its no hassle to pop down every 6 months. Just the ECC is a pain, not sure if required for a 13a.

Always I enjoy to have a period out of the country  once a year, sadly not this time.