Storing bread or the like in high humidity?

graham59
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I've noticed over here the best by date can be ignored as you never know how it's been stored before it lands on the shelves. 

Good point.

Have to say, vast majority of what I buy comes from my local bakery just up the road, and is normally very fresh of course.

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Always get a good look at food before consuming.

And THAT is why I put my bread in the ref,  I was looking forward to a loaf of sourdough, I break a piece off without looking at it, and right before eating it the ant-alarm went off on my hand. Looked, saw an ant on my hand, then looked at the bread and it was covered.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Shady said:

And THAT is why I put my bread in the ref,  I was looking forward to a loaf of sourdough, I break a piece off without looking at it, and right before eating it the ant-alarm went off on my hand. Looked, saw an ant on my hand, then looked at the bread and it was covered.

A few years back I went to heat up water in the kettle for breakfast coffee.  There was still some water in the kettle so I decided to open the lid and see how much was left.  There was a small island of ants floating on top of the water, I would say at  least 50 of the little buggers.  Still not sure how they managed to get in there.  Now I always check before heating up water. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Bread,cereals,biscuits,chocolate,in fact anything not in a tin or a bottle we store in the fridge ! things like doughnuts especially and the wifes baked cinammon rolls, just get them out an hour before eating then kept in Tupperware to stop the ants feasting on them! as for Gardenia bread we have stopped buying that now never smells cooked always yeasty and only lasts a few days even in the fridge we now buy Fuwa bread , much better. perfect for my cheese on toast.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Went to the cupboard one night and grabbed a previously opened bag of chips. Was on my third mouthful when I noticed the ants. Soon my lips swelled to comic proportions and I was thinking about what to do if my throat swelled enough to constrict breathing. Fortunately that didn't happen and my lips were mostly back to normal in 24 hours.

Lesson learned. Always get a good look at food before consuming.

That happened to me, exact thing. lips swelled up. I must have looked like mick Jagger's lips

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 7/25/2020 at 9:44 AM, jimeve said:

That happened to me, exact thing. lips swelled up. I must have looked like mick Jagger's lips

But without Mick Jagger's income... so sad...:laugh:

• Haha 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

But without Mick Jagger's income... so sad...:laugh:

And the girls throwing their panties at me :6:

• Haha 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
On 7/25/2020 at 6:59 AM, Mike J said:

A few years back I went to heat up water in the kettle for breakfast coffee.  There was still some water in the kettle so I decided to open the lid and see how much was left.  There was a small island of ants floating on top of the water, I would say at  least 50 of the little buggers.  Still not sure how they managed to get in there.  Now I always check before heating up water. 

This is a regular occurrence! I always check my kettle now. Also the little buggers get into the tap of the water dispenser so I run off a little before using that as well.

As for bread, unless I am using it on the day of purchase, it goes straight into the freezer. It’s usually toasted anyway.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've never really looked into my kettle to check but I suppose boiling the water will kill them off.  Our kettle has a fine filter at the spout so I suppose this will keep the ants out of my cuppa.  I'll take a look the next time I boil the kettle.  

Edited by hk blues

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I've never really looked into my kettle to check but I suppose boiling the water will kill them off.  Our kettle has a fine filter at the spout so I suppose this will keep the ants out of my cuppa.  I'll take a look the next time I boil the kettle.  

Perhaps it's better not to know? :shock_40_anim_gif: