Here I am again

Joey G
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

That is good news.  I will take a look.  When Fidelity tried to shut me down, Schwab would not open an account for me when I told them I was living here.  I think that was around 2015.

https://international.schwab.com/expatriate-essentials

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Joey G said:

This is Schwab International, a different division, and certain U.S. investment products are excluded.  Still good to know.  I'm going to look at opening an account.  $25,000 minimum.  I wish I could see exactly what the limits are before sinking the 25k.  Maybe there is.

Fidelity also has an International division, but they only allow a few countries.  Philippines is not one of them.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, TimL said:

My current issue is that a couple of these cards will expire in 2021 so I guess a run back to the US will be in order before they all expire.

Setup a postal address with a service like Traveling Mailbox with a US address. They will scan all your mail then you can choose what mail has to be forwarded to you in the Philippines. I used this for several years and the only mail I needed to have forwarded were new credit cards, then you can use a services like FedEx or DHL so you get the new credit card in less than a week. That way you have a US address for things like SS, VA, banks, etc.

• Like 2

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Thanks a lot guys This is very useful info. I now have a good starting point for my choices. Thinking maybe open a few different ones just to be cautious cant have too many options when it comes to finances.

1 hour ago, earthdome said:

Setup a postal address with a service like Traveling Mailbox with a US address.

My daughter who lives here will be my permanent address for things involving my SSDI and my VA compensation. Plus use it for other purposes.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, marine6357 said:

Thanks a lot guys This is very useful info. I now have a good starting point for my choices. Thinking maybe open a few different ones just to be cautious cant have too many options when it comes to finances.

I will echo what OMW said above. I have used Charles Schwab Bank and the investment side for over 25 years. The service is outstanding. I use a USA mail handler and address so no problem there. One of the best things with the bank there is that there are never ATM fees. They even reimburse the ATM fees from the Philippine banks. I should probably open an International account like OMW suggests but, at least for now, everything is working smoothly.

I keep credit cards at three institutions to, like you, feel a bit safe that I won't be locked out of cash if one locks up.

As I have posted elsewhere, I keep a Skype phone number in USA that any bank can call and it forwards right to my cell phone here in Philippines. That has been a wonderful asset for calling for the very few times I had questions or minimal hassles....easily resolved.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, marine6357 said:

My daughter who lives here will be my permanent address for things involving my SSDI and my VA compensation. Plus use it for other purposes.

A few things to add and one probably depends on your financial situation.  If you have to pay federal income taxes on various sources of income, it would be good if your address for all those sources is in a state that has no income tax.

Also, as I found out and others have mentioned, sometimes busy family members are not the best at handling mail.  Traveling Mailbox costs me about $20 a month now and I wish I would have coughed that up when I moved in 2012.  It would have saved me a lot stress and headaches.  My sister and her husband are not that organized to start with, and they didn't show much concern for my mail.  For instance, a letter from the crooks at California Franchise Tax Board saying I own them thousands of dollars gets scanned and sent to me a month after the "respond by" date in the letter.  Etc., etc.

So, I would ask two questions:  1.  Is your daughter in a state with no income tax?  2.  Is your daughter super-organized with time to deal with your mail?  If the answer is "No" to either, you should strongly consider paying for a mailbox.

My sister lives in California, and because my mailing address was there, California hassled me every year, even though I would write them a letter every year.  They don't retain the information in the letter.  The computers just pickup the same flags the next year and send another letter to try and extort taxes from you.  Your state might be the same.

• Like 3

marine6357
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

So, I would ask two questions:  1.  Is your daughter in a state with no income tax?  2.  Is your daughter super-organized with time to deal with your mail?  If the answer is "No" to either, you should strongly consider paying for a mailbox.

We currently live in NY so as of now both of my sources of income are tax free (ie: SSDI and VA disability pension) NY being a high tax state does concern me that in the future this might not be true.

Yes my daughter is super organized ( at least quite a bit more than me lol) but being a college student not sure what would happen in the future once she graduates and begins her career. So thanks for this helpful advice add another thing to my list to investigate before the big move.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Traveling Mailbox costs me about $20 a month now and I wish I would have coughed that up when I moved in 2012.  It would have saved me a lot stress and headaches.

Others have mentioned Traveling Mailbox and their services.  It sounds good.  However, I have used St Brendan's Isle based in Florida for more than five years now.  Started about a year before moving here as a test.  They offer all the same services and are wonderful people.  Very friendly and helpful anytime I call with needs or questions.  If I may be waiting for a certain piece of mail they will physically check my box and tell me each piece that is there.  As you can tell I highly recommend them and their basic service which is what I use is about $12. monthly.  Good luck with ever service you choose but like OMY mentioned for the cost I like leaving my family out if I can.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

Others have mentioned Traveling Mailbox and their services.  It sounds good.  However, I have used St Brendan's Isle based in Florida for more than five years now.  Started about a year before moving here as a test.  They offer all the same services and are wonderful people.  Very friendly and helpful anytime I call with needs or questions.  If I may be waiting for a certain piece of mail they will physically check my box and tell me each piece that is there.  As you can tell I highly recommend them and their basic service which is what I use is about $12. monthly.  Good luck with ever service you choose but like OMY mentioned for the cost I like leaving my family out if I can.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/

I had already started a post plugging TM when I saw your post.  When you read it, don't think I posted it to compete!  :smile:

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I had already started a post plugging TM when I saw your post.  When you read it, don't think I posted it to compete!  

No problem.  Always good to have additional info to choose from.:smile:

• Like 1