Here I am again

Clermont
Posted
Posted

1 minute ago, BrettGC said:

Good to know as I'm stuck with an Aust based account as they won't pay my navy pension into an overseas account.  Just for clarity, defence pensions in Australia are in no way connected to Centrelink but rather come from Comsuper. 

From what I understand, I'm DVA, they will pay once a month into an overseas account at the exchange rate of the day. I think that you'll find you come under DVA Pension. :thumbsup:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Clermont said:

From what I understand, I'm DVA, they will pay once a month into an overseas account at the exchange rate of the day. I think that you'll find you come under DVA Pension. :thumbsup:

No, I don't.  I have a partical TPI payment from DVA, completely different entity, DVA do not administer DFRDB pensions.  DFRDB (Defence Force Retirement and Death Benefits) Pensions for long service come from ComSuper and they will not - I enquired a couple of months ago - pay into foreign accounts unless they've changed their tune since March?

Ok, just called to confirm just on the off chance and hope I was wrong.. Nope, still not paying into foreign accounts..... Bugger 

You gave me false hope!! :mellow:

All good, I'll just continue as planned :thumbsup:

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

All good, I'll just continue as planned 

I don't know what's different, I'm TPI and pensioned as well. I've been in contact with them and that was their advice, my PI wife is even entitled to her pension for life when the grim reaper calls on me if we're living over there.  Are well, all's good. :thumbsup:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I don't know what's different, I'm TPI and pensioned as well. I've been in contact with them and that was their advice, my PI wife is even entitled to her pension for life when the grim reaper calls on me if we're living over there.  Are well, all's good. :thumbsup:

DVA manages their TPI pensions.  

DFRDB pensions are managed by Comsuper.

It's like receiving money from two different employers, one has different rules to the other.  DVA and Comsuper are in no way related other than they're both government.  Comsuper also manages MSBS - the system that replaced DFRDB for military super, they also manage federal public sector super and is a public servant's "default" super.  Comsuper basically operates as an independent super fund even though they're government owned.  

From Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation 
'Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation looks after super funds designed specifically for Australian Government and Defence Force employees. We're here to be the trusted and valued partner who achieves long-term investment objectives, guides informed retirement decisions, and gives our members peace of mind that their families and futures are in safe hands.'

Your DVA pension is paid by DVA for some sort of disability or service in specific circumstances. 

My DFRDB pension is paid by Comsuper for service over 20 years or more and the scheme ran from 1973 to 1991 - it''s now no longer offered and hasn't been since 1991, but those that joined up under The DFRDB scheme were given the option to stay with it or switch to the new scheme - I chose to stay right where I was.  ADF no longer offers pensions for service 20 years or more, all ADF members now receive superannuation the same as the rest of the Australian public with all its rules and restrictions.  Unless, of course, you're eligible for a DVA payment then DVA administers that.  

But yes, it's ridiculous that one government authority allows payment to overseas accounts and the other doesn't.  :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Clermont said:

Here in OZ you need a fiscal address not a post box when Government is paying. As a gov official told me, "You don't live in a post box, we want the address where you actually live." You can pay Government accounts electronically out of a bank account. Don't forget, you need a bank  account and to get one you need a 100 point system, Google the points. Now to get a new card for your bank account, the card has to go to an Australian address, THEY WILL NOT POST/SEND THE NEW CARD OVERSEA'S. The banking Royal Commission has outlined the new rules and the Government has implemented them. With the issuing of new bank cards as the old one's expire, I think it is going to catch a lot of retirees out if they haven't got a fiscal Australian address. :thumbsup:

I think we are talking about 2 different things. If you are living part time in Australia and not declaring you live overseas then yes you need a physical address but any address will do such as family. Again bank account address can be changed to a family's home address to receive cards. Most people our age already have bank accounts so no need to open new ones.100 points, birth certificate and passport or driver's license.

But anyway the point is there's not really much these days that need mail delivered and thats why many street post boxes and services were scaled down because the need for them has dwindled. 

• Like 1