I'm still planning on moving...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/27/2020 at 8:38 AM, Tommy T. said:

And live somewhere that doesn't have an alcohol ban! Tanduay or San Mig or Red Horse can help you acclimate.

Do you still have a ban there? Since we are off topic anyway :smile:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Do you still have a ban there? Since we are off topic anyway :smile:

Well... yes, still, as of this morning. But as you noted above, things could change today.

Tanduay and Red Horse can be had, however - at a premium price - if you know where to look...:cheers:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I guess this sort of should be here? I just read last night that most of the country is on MGCQ and selected locations are on GCQ. Cebu apparently has been eased to the GCQ and Davao City remains on MGCQ - if I understand the published data.

And here's an update regarding the liquour ban - still to remain in place until September 1 - with conditions:

>DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 31 July) – The city may lift its 24/7 liquor ban and reopen the bustling Roxas Night Market starting September 1, months after the local government prohibited mass gathering, among other strict measures, to control the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Mayor Sara Duterte said.

During her live interview over Davao City Disaster Radio (DCDR 87.5) on Friday, Duterte said the local government is aiming to keep the COVID-19 cases here “low and manageable” in preparation for the gradual lifting of stringent measures.

She said she wanted residents to adjust to the “new normal” by getting used to the basic health protocols amid the pandemic.

She added she might just decide to allow the selling of alcoholic drinks if the number of COVID-19 cases would not spike up.

“We are still on the liquor ban. Let’s not celebrate too much because what we have lifted is just the FM (food and medicine) pass and curfew because we want you to self-regulate,” she said.<

So that leads me to believe that I won't need my food/medicine pass - at least for now?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I just read last night that most of the country is on MGCQ

Here in Metro Manila, we are still on gcq. We have been this way for a few weeks now. Frankly I sort of like it this way. All the restaurants that have survived have reopened for dine in. The malls are open and not crowded so we can stroll, window shop with out being jostled. Jeepneys for the most part are still banned so traffic is not like combat driving anymore. So life has not quite returned to normal, but the new normal thus far is rather enjoyable :thumbsup:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
alex1
Posted
Posted
On 7/25/2020 at 12:19 PM, Balisidar said:

Well, we still have our plans on moving to the Philippines in October.  I'll be retired at the end of this month and reading the rules for foreigners coming into the country with a Filipina spouse, I should be good.

If we test negative then we'll do our quarantine at my wifes Inay's house and then look for a place of our own in Tagaytay or Lipa city.

I just put this topic out there because I know a few people are putting their moves on hold but in our case I see no reason to.

I've always tried to follow Warren buffets's advice and this one applies to more than money. "We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful." 

Any one else see something I might be missing in moving during this period in time?  Looking forward to hopefully hoisting a beer or two with some of you after the craziness subsides. :6::cheersty:

On 8/20/2020 at 10:07 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

When the situation goes back to normal you can stay as a tourist for up to 3 years without leaving. The situation is not normal so hard to advise much as things change often. 

Appreciate all the advice and thank you to all 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
DaveB
Posted
Posted

Balisidar...I think we're following in trace.  I have my 9A visa application submitted down to San Francisco Consulate - should be back in a week or so (and always have my fingers crossed that I got it all right the first time).  We, too, are planning on flying in October, and have our COVID quarantine hotel booked.   We're going in through Clark.  Likely do my follow on quarantine at my sister-in-law's house in Angeles City.  I applied for the 1 year multiple entry version of the 9A.  Have you looked into just what "multiple entry" means?  I'm wondering if it's a simple as leave and return (like we're gonna do for Christmas), or if I have to do some kind of extensions/extra fees along the way during the one year. 

Perhaps unlike you, this is largely a scouting trip venture for us this time around.  We intend to retire in the Philippines "some place", and have narrowed the "some place" down to a select few that seem to appeal to us (combination of having been there before and doing internet research).  We had planned to visit the general Subic area back in April, but that went by the wayside.  This trip we'll be in the Philippines for about 2 1/2 months, and start our scouting in the Subic area.  If someone knows of a decent van service, or some sort of rental exchange, let me know.  We're gonna hole up, see if we like the area, take a sample of rental homes, see what gives.  We're in the final throes of collapsing our world down to 2 suitcases each, with a stack of balikbayan boxes in storage we'd ship "some day" when we find a good long term rental we want to commit to...so we're pretty fluid and non-committal for this trip.  Might get lucky and blunder into the perfect deal by mid-December - but not worried if we don't.  We'll be back in a more permanent fashion in January.  Appreciate any help anyone might want to throw me in getting to know the Subic area - or Zambales in general.  Could use a lead on a van service (thinking of getting one for the day a couple times and visiting some areas we're curious about), and any advice on just how to find a rental in the first place (they always seem to be related to something like the front desk receptionist's brother knows a guy whose sister has a neighbor renting a house).

Meanwhile...anyone feel like wading in about the Batangas area south of Manila?  It's kinda popped up on our radar lately.  We might want to wander down that way and check it out, too.  

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 8/31/2020 at 3:54 AM, DaveB said:

Have you looked into just what "multiple entry" means?  I'm wondering if it's a simple as leave and return (like we're gonna do for Christmas), or if I have to do some kind of extensions/extra fees along the way during the one year. 

MULTIPLE ENTRY – Traveller must enter the Philippines within six (6) or twelve (12) months from the date of the visa’s issuance. Maximum allowable stay is fifty-nine (59) days per trip.

For those who wish to extend beyond fifty-nine (59) days, the foreign national must apply for visa extension at the nearest immigration office at least one week prior to the expiration of the valid stay.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/31/2020 at 3:54 AM, DaveB said:

Balisidar...I think we're following in trace.  I have my 9A visa application submitted down to San Francisco Consulate - should be back in a week or so (and always have my fingers crossed that I got it all right the first time).  We, too, are planning on flying in October, and have our COVID quarantine hotel booked.   We're going in through Clark.  Likely do my follow on quarantine at my sister-in-law's house in Angeles City.  I applied for the 1 year multiple entry version of the 9A.  Have you looked into just what "multiple entry" means?  I'm wondering if it's a simple as leave and return (like we're gonna do for Christmas), or if I have to do some kind of extensions/extra fees along the way during the one year. 

As JGF said, 59 says per visit so that may work out for you.  E.g., arrive October 15th, leave by December 14th.  Then when you return in January, you will have another 59 days before you need to get an extension. 

Perhaps unlike you, this is largely a scouting trip venture for us this time around.  We intend to retire in the Philippines "some place", and have narrowed the "some place" down to a select few that seem to appeal to us (combination of having been there before and doing internet research).  We had planned to visit the general Subic area back in April, but that went by the wayside.  This trip we'll be in the Philippines for about 2 1/2 months, and start our scouting in the Subic area.  If someone knows of a decent van service,

I will PM you the FB page of a guy I know who owns a van service.  See if you can get him to be the driver as he is super knowledgeable of the area, especially military wise.  He has clearance to drive on the dock and meet USN ships when they port.  He lived in the U.S. for a while so he speaks excellent English.

or some sort of rental exchange, let me know.  We're gonna hole up, see if we like the area, take a sample of rental homes, see what gives.  We're in the final throes of collapsing our world down to 2 suitcases each, with a stack of balikbayan boxes in storage we'd ship "some day" when we find a good long term rental we want to commit to...so we're pretty fluid and non-committal for this trip.  Might get lucky and blunder into the perfect deal by mid-December - but not worried if we don't.  We'll be back in a more permanent fashion in January.  Appreciate any help anyone might want to throw me in getting to know the Subic area - or Zambales in general.  Could use a lead on a van service (thinking of getting one for the day a couple times and visiting some areas we're curious about), and any advice on just how to find a rental in the first place (they always seem to be related to something like the front desk receptionist's brother knows a guy whose sister has a neighbor renting a house).

Subic Homes does short term furnished rentals and you might be able to negotiate a great deal around then as their customers are few and far between.  The are in the Binictican neighborhood on the old base.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Vacation-Home-Rental/Vacation-Villas-at-Subic-Homes-311888208829721/

Meanwhile...anyone feel like wading in about the Batangas area south of Manila?  It's kinda popped up on our radar lately.  We might want to wander down that way and check it out, too.

I have never spent any time down there and I am looking forward to the new expressway opening up through Manila so it will be a quick trip from Subic to Batangas.  I hate driving in Manila.

You might consider renting a car in the Subic area.  You really need one to get around in the Freeport, and the driving is not bad at all.  There are several car rental places in Olongapo.  I think you can get a Vios or something like that for 2-3k pesos a day or cheaper for longer, I'm sure.

I hope they will be easing the Covid rules by then.  Right now, they are tightening up again.  Tourists are not allowed.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

MULTIPLE ENTRY – Traveller must enter the Philippines within six (6) or twelve (12) months from the date of the visa’s issuance. Maximum allowable stay is fifty-nine (59) days per trip.

For those who wish to extend beyond fifty-nine (59) days, the foreign national must apply for visa extension at the nearest immigration office at least one week prior to the expiration of the valid stay.

I was chatting with someone about these multiple entry 9A visas and now it is apparent that these have always been an option at the Philippine embassies.  They just were not used much by citizens of the free 30 day on entry countries as they were probably more hassle than they were worth, and multiple entry doesn't have much value to most tourists.  Especially if they were a hassle to get, pre-Covid.

Now many people like Dave will have no choice, and it looks like the multiple entry might work well for his plans.

• Like 1