I'm still planning on moving...

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, DaveB said:

Much of their advisory is essentially a duplication of what you go through already just to get into the country.  We're set to fly on Oct 4 - we'll go through a swab test, hotel quarantine, then self quarantine and be done with all that by Oct 20th.  Then we go to Subic the next day and start all over again?  Even though we have the medical and travel clearances we just got from Manila?  That's nuts.

If that is your actual situation, confirm, and I can reach out to further clarify for you.

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Specifics of my travel plan:

1. Arrive Manila - go through the COVID screening and the hotel quarantine to get the test results

2. Get the medical and travel clearance to go to Angeles City - sit out the 14 day self-isolation quarantine 

3.  This might be the deal breaker: when I got out of quarantine in Angeles City, I was going to go to the BI and apply for my 13A visa.  So...that would likely be enough exposure to preclude the idea that "I just went through that stuff".  However...if you can check: IF I could go straight to Subic from Angeles City at the end of my quarantine period, and have my documentation and testing up to that point count toward the Subic trip, I'd be inclined to change my plans and do that to leverage the efficiency of it all.  I can do the 13A application any time, anywhere, later - maybe even while I was in Subic.  

If you can resolve that big IF, I'd be moving up from owing you a beer, to owing you a complete four course dinner.

I've been trading messages with Dex, the van driver recommended, by the way.  So far, finding him to an impressive contact.  If anyone else is reading this and needs van support, here's a recommendation for Dex.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, DaveB said:

Specifics of my travel plan:

1. Arrive Manila - go through the COVID screening and the hotel quarantine to get the test results

2. Get the medical and travel clearance to go to Angeles City - sit out the 14 day self-isolation quarantine 

3.  This might be the deal breaker: when I got out of quarantine in Angeles City, I was going to go to the BI and apply for my 13A visa.  So...that would likely be enough exposure to preclude the idea that "I just went through that stuff".  However...if you can check: IF I could go straight to Subic from Angeles City at the end of my quarantine period, and have my documentation and testing up to that point count toward the Subic trip, I'd be inclined to change my plans and do that to leverage the efficiency of it all.  I can do the 13A application any time, anywhere, later - maybe even while I was in Subic.  

If you can resolve that big IF, I'd be moving up from owing you a beer, to owing you a complete four course dinner.

I've been trading messages with Dex, the van driver recommended, by the way.  So far, finding him to an impressive contact.  If anyone else is reading this and needs van support, here's a recommendation for Dex.

Yes, under the current rules, travelling around for a while before you come to Subic might nullify the previous quarantine.  Let me see what I can find out.  I will say that you will come directly to Subic after your quarantine in Angeles, and you are interested in living here.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, under the current rules, travelling around for a while before you come to Subic might nullify the previous quarantine.  Let me see what I can find out.  I will say that you will come directly to Subic after your quarantine in Angeles, and you are interested in living here.

Isn't that kinda obvious though, isn't the whole point of local quarantine to prevent the importation of Covid from other areas regardless of them being overseas or here in the Philippines? Our neighbour, a seaman, had to do quarantine in Manilla first and then here when he arrived - his sister was only coming from Manila yet she too had to do quarantine here.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Isn't that kinda obvious though, isn't the whole point of local quarantine to prevent the importation of Covid from other areas regardless of them being overseas or here in the Philippines? Our neighbour, a seaman, had to do quarantine in Manilla first and then here when he arrived - his sister was only coming from Manila yet she too had to do quarantine here.

If he is going directly from quarantine to Subic, they might allow it.  I have asked.

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Appreciate the help...does that mean right after Manila I go to Subic, do my 14 days self-quarantine there, and then have the liberty to move about...i.e., don't go to Angeles City at all until later?  Little uneasy with that "might allow it", after I set it up.  Adds some other questions for me to ponder - like arranging a weekly rental before then, and what happens later if I go down to visit the relatives in Angeles City? 

Don't want to burden you with a bunch of running around to sort out my personal problems.   You seem to have some access to the right people to ask questions, so really appreciate your efforts on my part.  But if this gets to be too big a hassle, feel free to back down.  If I have to, I'll just go to Angeles City, settle in until things sort out, and then see what I can do next.  We can live six months or so in Angeles City, and then see what happens next . 

This new approach to things in Subic seems to be counter productive on their part, across the board.  Gotta wonder what the hell they were thinking - hard enough to get a bunch of unemployed Filipinos to be tourists without telling them to spend half their time off holed up in quarantine.  

I'll quit whining now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

If he is going directly from quarantine to Subic, they might allow it.  I have asked.

You would imagine it would be ok if it's directly from A to B after quarantining in A - otherwise people would be in a permanent quarantine loop. I was more referring to an A to B to C scanario where quarantine would surely be required at C.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, DaveB said:

Appreciate the help...does that mean right after Manila I go to Subic, do my 14 days self-quarantine there, and then have the liberty to move about...i.e., don't go to Angeles City at all until later?  Little uneasy with that "might allow it", after I set it up.  Adds some other questions for me to ponder - like arranging a weekly rental before then, and what happens later if I go down to visit the relatives in Angeles City? 

Don't want to burden you with a bunch of running around to sort out my personal problems.   You seem to have some access to the right people to ask questions, so really appreciate your efforts on my part.  But if this gets to be too big a hassle, feel free to back down.  If I have to, I'll just go to Angeles City, settle in until things sort out, and then see what I can do next.  We can live six months or so in Angeles City, and then see what happens next . 

This new approach to things in Subic seems to be counter productive on their part, across the board.  Gotta wonder what the hell they were thinking - hard enough to get a bunch of unemployed Filipinos to be tourists without telling them to spend half their time off holed up in quarantine.  

I'll quit whining now.

I don't think you're whining - just expressing the same frustration as the rest if us at rules which don't seem to make much sense. However, it's not something unique to the Philippines as anyone following the UK and USA will admit.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, DaveB said:

I'll quit whining now.

Dave, it makes it a bit easier to follow if you quote the post you are answering.  That notifies the person you are replying too.

I was not suggesting you go directly to Subic, but would be possible.  However, I think you would have to stay at one of the SBMA designated quarantine hotels.  I have reached out to someone.  They might not get back until Monday.  I can ask about both scenarios.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You would imagine it would be ok if it's directly from A to B after quarantining in A - otherwise people would be in a permanent quarantine loop. I was more referring to an A to B to C scanario where quarantine would surely be required at C.

I can imagine several logical scenarios, but you know how that goes!  :hystery:

• Like 1