I'm still planning on moving...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I can imagine several logical scenarios, but you know how that goes!  :hystery:

Yep...don't all governments use the same approach - let's identify all logical scenarios first so we can bin them right away?

DaveB
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Dave, it makes it a bit easier to follow if you quote the post you are answering.  That notifies the person you are replying too.

I was not suggesting you go directly to Subic, but would be possible.  However, I think you would have to stay at one of the SBMA designated quarantine hotels.  I have reached out to someone.  They might not get back until Monday.  I can ask about both scenarios.

Again...appreciate the help...and the advisory on the Forum navigation.  I'll wait and see what you find out, and then discuss it with my bride.  One way or the other, we'll be going to the Philippines on Oct 4 - and end up somewhere - and sort it out from there.

• Like 2

DaveB
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't think you're whining - just expressing the same frustration as the rest if us at rules which don't seem to make much sense. However, it's not something unique to the Philippines as anyone following the UK and USA will admit.

I'm living the USA fiasco.  Wearing a mask turned into a symbol of which side of the political spectrum you're on, of all things.  Meanwhile, this country has entirely too many spoiled 2 year old mentalities.  Here it's not a matter of odd restrictions - it's a hissy fit because there are ANY restrictions...all while the death rate goes through the roof.

I'm pretty sympathetic to the controls the Philippines are trying to enforce, and the rationale behind them.  Just gets weird trying to keep up with the changes and widely diverse rules from one locality to another.  My path forward is to just find a way to make it work.  I'm still confident that we'll get there.

• Like 5

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

Philippines is like the US, each state has it own regulations, each county (except Louisiana has parishes) has it own regulations.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Yeochief said:

Philippines is like the US, each state has it own regulations, each county (except Louisiana has parishes) has it own regulations.  

But a significant difference is that the Philippines has a national policy, then LGU can supplement or make more stringent policy.  In the USA there has been no national policy on requirements for prevention.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Heeb said:

I just finished the check in process at LAX, sitting here waiting for my flight on PAL. Make sure you have a phone with a barcode scanner with you and of course a pen, the paperwork has already started, plus even though you already have a Red Cross CR code you have to scan a barcode they give you for a post check in process, asking mostly the same questions as the Red Cross and the slip of paper they ask you to fill out after check in, not sure yet what to do with the paper yet, the only thing they asked for at the check in counter is your passport, they just look for the VISA. Check out counter at LAX opened at 5:30 pm for a 10:20 pm flight. 

Best of luck and hope you have a safe and speedy trip and that they still serve free wine and cocktails, even in cattle class!

• Like 1

DaveB
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Heeb said:

I just finished the check in process at LAX, sitting here waiting for my flight on PAL. Make sure you have a phone with a barcode scanner with you and of course a pen, the paperwork has already started, plus even though you already have a Red Cross CR code you have to scan a barcode they give you for a post check in process, asking mostly the same questions as the Red Cross and the slip of paper they ask you to fill out after check in, not sure yet what to do with the paper yet, the only thing they asked for at the check in counter is your passport, they just look for the VISA. Check out counter at LAX opened at 5:30 pm for a 10:20 pm flight. 

Appreciate the tip on the barcode scanner.  I'd heard about the QR code, but the barcode is new info.  Really have to watch the minute details of every step along the way to dig out all the info, or end up floundering around.  Good to have additional eyes on the process and thanks for reporting as you go.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/12/2020 at 4:10 AM, DaveB said:

I was going to go to the BI and apply for my 13A visa

Off topic but since you will be applying soon after arriving ensure you get your police clearance in your home country first to make it easier.

• Like 3

DaveB
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Off topic but since you will be applying soon after arriving ensure you get your police clearance in your home country first to make it easier.

I have that.  I got the entire 13A package together for submission at the San Francisco consulate hoping they'd reopen in time to submit it.  I'm bringing that along.  Problem is they use different application forms (so I followed the BI website and filled out theirs), and the instructions for the BI form don't have any info on medical screening or the police clearance or financial statements or passport photos - which I'm very suspicious of.  So I'm bringing everything and I'll see what reaction I get.  I'll let them tell me what they like and don't like and what to fix.  Actually...I'm giving some real serious thought to just getting a "fixer" and pay him to sort it all out.  Regardless, it'll be easier to deal with it all when I'm there instead of trying to sort it out on a website 12,000 miles away.  Might be a struggle locally, but I have time to just sort it out and get it done, whatever path it takes.  It's just one more item in the small mountain of minutiae I'm working.

• Like 2