MGCQ versus GCQ - my experience

Explorer
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2020 at 3:31 PM, peterfe said:

Not overdue, it expired in early August. Because of Covid-19, you won't actually go inside the BI, a man at the door will give you a form, you fill it out outside, give it back to him with your passport. Just put 6 months on it, and I would guess they won't notice or care about your age. A bit later the man will come and tell you how much you have to pay, you give it to him, wait a bit more, and back comes your passport with the receipt attached. I paid 9900 pesos but that included a renewal of my ACR card. Good luck!

What about those with expired tourist visa? Last I heard they will have 30 days after the quarantine to renew their visa without fines, when this 30 period is starting?

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jaybee said:

What about those with expired tourist visa? Last I heard they will have 30 days after the quarantine to renew their visa without fines, when this 30 period is starting?

Depends on where you're located, Cebu just started its GCQ for 15 days and will then have an MGCQ so possibly September.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shady said:

Depends on where you're located, Cebu just started its GCQ for 15 days and will then have an MGCQ so possibly September.

3 hours ago, jaybee said:

I might be wrong but I believe the 30 days was only after the ECQ but does not relate to the other "CQs". 

Waiver on Fines and Penalties for Foreign Nationals whose Tourist Visas have expired during Enhance Community Quarantine  
On 2 April 2020, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) released an Advisory in relation to the Memorandum dated 31 March 2020 waiving fines and penalties for tourist visa extensions for passengers whose visa expired during the period of the Enhance Community Quarantine (ECQ), except for outbound passengers.

Who will be affected?

Foreign nationals who are holders of Temporary Visitors or 9(a) Visa in the Philippines and will be expiring during the period of ECQ.

Background:

To further comply with the nationwide suspension of all applications for visa extension, the Chief of the Immigration Regulation Division, Mr. Rogelio D. Gevero, Jr. has issued a memorandum waiving the fines and penalties for visa extension for Foreign Nationals whose 9A visas expired during the ECQ period.

Impact:

All Foreign nationals whose 9a visa expired during the ECQ shall be allowed to extend the visa without fines and penalties after the ECQ has been lifted.  In addition, they are required to file the visa extension application within the grace period of 30 days after ECQ.
The waiver of fines and penalties does not apply to the following:
a. 
Applications filed after the lapse of thirty (30) days grace period from the lifting of the ECQ;
b. All Foreign Nationals whose visas expired prior to the declaration of the ECQ.

Implementation:

Effective 2 April 2020 until further notice.

.............................................................................................................................

But on the other hand this say GCQ. Im not sure why as the BI offices are open.

On 4 May 2020, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) and Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) have released two separate issuances in compliance to the foregoing directives of the Philippine government on the extended Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) and General Community Quarantine (GCQ).

Who will be affected?

Foreign nationals, regardless of nationalities, who will engage in gainful employment in the National Capital Region (NCR) and will require a working visa, permit and other immigration-related requirements.
Foreign nationals, regardless of the nationalities, whose work visa, permit, and temporary visitor’s visa will expire during the ECQ and GCQ.
Background

The Philippine government has extended the ECQ in Luzon from 30 April 2020 to 15 May 2020. Hence, in compliance to the guidelines issued by the concerned government agencies, transactions as prescribed in the advisories of BI dated 19 March 2020 and 26 March 2020 remain suspended except for outbound passengers intending to depart the Philippines.
Additionally, DOLE has issued an advisory pertaining to the guidelines on the interruption of submission of Alien Employment Permits and Private Employment Agency.

Both government agencies provided for a grace period for those working visa, permits and temporary visitor’s visa that expired during the ECQ. In addition, BI will announce the lifting of the temporary suspension once the ECQ is lifted and quarantine measures are set in place.

All previous issuances remain in place until the concerned government agencies lift the suspension and/or restriction.

Impact 

All Foreign nationals whose visas will expire during said period will be allowed to file their applications for extension without fines and penalties provided they submit their applications within thirty (30) days from the lifting of the suspension.
BI shall waive the payment of fines and penalties related to the application of visa extension of all outbound passengers whose visa extension expired during the period of the ECQ/GCQ.
Outbound passengers will be required to present their outbound tickets prior to entry to any BI offices.
AEP applications that are due for renewal during the implementation of the ECQ and GCQ can be submitted within forty-five (45) working days after the lifting of the same, without penalty or administrative fines.
DOLE Regional Offices may issue their own internal guidelines with regard to the acceptance of applications for new and renewal. Social distancing requirement and health and safety measures, shall be implemented in the filing of applications for permits and licenses and issuance thereof.
Since the ECQ has been extended, applicants may expect long queues in the government agencies and delay in processing and approval of visa and permit applications.
Implementation

Effective 4 May 2020 until further notice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shady
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

But on the other hand this say GCQ. Im not sure why as the BI offices are open.

They could be open to serve those in areas not in GCQ, or for exit clearances.

GCQ is pretty clear that non-essential workers should stay home unless food-shopping, and no seniors at all, so I'm not sure how they could reasonably impose fines for not going to immigration.

Edited by Shady

peterfe
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I might be wrong but I believe the 30 days was only after the ECQ but does not relate to the other "CQs". 

Thanks, JGF, for once again trying to explain and make sense of a confusing situation! :smile:

I would recommend anyone who thinks they may be over the 30 days to go to their BI as soon as possible. If you can get to Mactan, so much the better (but check if you need a pass to go to Lapu-Lapu). I imagine they will fix it at that helpful BI - I can't somehow see overstayers being led away in handcuffs!  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Here in Davao, I ventured forth again yesterday to the mall to be with L for her vaccination.

Yesterday there was a news article quoting Mayor Inday saying that quarantine food and medicine cards were no longer needed. Either I misunderstood (very common) or the news was incorrect. When entering the mall, I still needed to present my card. The guard checked the number to make sure it was "my" day then let me pass.

I am not sure why, but he did not ask for my ID to verify identity. I have, so far, not been stopped from going anywhere due to age. After entering the mall and waiting for L to pass, I noticed that most people were asked for ID's...

So maybe the passes are just not required for "normal" travel now? Well, we will find out on Tuesday when we will try to drive out into the province to see the ageing parents... I will post our results from that trip...

RBM
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, jaybee said:

Wonder about tourists with family (not married) plus financial commitments and approaching 3 years here. Must leave and unable to return.

Bet there is quite a number just decoded to stay put.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I am not sure why, but he did not ask for my ID to verify identity. I have, so far, not been stopped from going anywhere due to age. 

Obviously Tommy looks like a young fellow.......

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, RBM said:

Obviously Tommy looks like a young fellow.......

Thanks, RBM!!!!

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Never have a problem here on Lapu-Lapu going nearly anywhere. I went to have a licence renewal at the LTO, car checked out, everything was ok but because I am over 60 was denied entry into the office to pay, lucky my filipina friend was allowed in. BI has never been a problem, have gone twice now for 2 months renewal, never been denied entry to the mall, actually the guard ask if I was a senior so let me bypass the crowds waiting to enter to go to the SSS office opposite the BI office. Only one mall entry has ever checked my card at about 6 malls I can go to. Funny thing did happen, I was waiting for my car to be tuned up, so decided to get a coffee, walked to my little local cafe, 14 patrons there, maybe 10 expats, no masks, no social distancing, the expats all sitting back drinking beer, apparently can have 2 beers per customer as told to me by the owner, so almost back to normal here.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic