Philippines new Frigate heading for RIMPAC 2020

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Below is a link to an article on Naval Today about the departure of the  BRP Jose Rizal (FF150) for RIMPAC 2020, which is for this year a sea only event.

A forerunner of increasing cooperation perhaps?

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2020/07/philippine-navy-commissions-its-first-ever-missile-frigate-brp-jose-rizal/

Edited by Old55
Link was broken.
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The article mentions " the contract for the construction of two light frigates was signed between the Philippines and HHI in October 2016. The contract was signed following the victory of HHI in an international tender. The contract value was determined to be 15.744571584 billion Philippine pesos (about $ 311 million). This price point is for the ship only (weapons systems not included)."

I do not see who paid?

graham59
Posted
Posted

How to piss away 15 billion pesos plus,  of poor people's pera ?   :whatever:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This price point is for the ship only (weapons systems not included)."

No weapons leaves more room for rice.  :whistling:

• Haha 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Mike J said:

No weapons leaves more room for rice.  :whistling:

Funny :)

The ship is fitted with most of it's weapons systems, the only 'fitted for' system as far as I've read is the 8 cell VLS.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Funny :)

The ship is fitted with most of it's weapons systems, the only 'fitted for' system as far as I've read is the 8 cell VLS.

I believe that is the new 8 cell "voluminous lumpia system".  Cooks 8 batches of lumpia in just a few minutes.  :thumbsup:

• Haha 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I believe that is the new 8 cell "voluminous lumpia system".  Cooks 8 batches of lumpia in just a few minutes.  :thumbsup:

That's some big lumpia tubes :hystery:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

That's some big lumpia tubes :hystery:

Philippines family size.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Nice looking frigate, although lightly armored and limited offensive weapon systems, even if they are installed later.  I believe this may be a first for the Philippine Navy., operating in blue water.  They're playing with the big boys (RIMPAC exercise) now and they should work on seamanship (unrep, station keeping, providing formation screen, etc) via their comms and coordination of other navies.   

PI FRIGATE.PNG

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jake said:

Nice looking frigate, although lightly armored and limited offensive weapon systems, even if they are installed later.  I believe this may be a first for the Philippine Navy., operating in blue water.  They're playing with the big boys (RIMPAC exercise) now and they should work on seamanship (unrep, station keeping, providing formation screen, etc) via their comms and coordination of other navies.   

I just wonder a bit about this ship. Many years ago, when anchored in a very remote atoll in Kiribati, a patrol boat stopped by for a visit and small resupply for the few residents there. They did not have small scale nautical charts on board !!!!

I printed out some copies of online charts I had for them to use. They did not have a chart plotter and only a small GPS receiver... They also did not have tide tables... I printed out a set for them to use for their next destinations for a year into the future. It was a really nice patrol boat donated by Australia and was the same design and construction as used at that time in Oz and NZ for close-in patrolling. But it was a shell with little ancillary equipment and few, if any weapons. It was supposed to be used to deter the already-prolific Chinese fishing boats from fishing in their territorial waters and near their physical atolls and islands... They had to cage some diesel fuel that was available on this atoll in order to return to Tarawa...

• Like 2