Water Supply in the Provinces

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, intrepid said:

You should have a pressure tank and my advise would be to pay extra and get a bladder tank which will offer more supply in a much smaller size.:tiphat:

I don't know if these exist here in Philippines or for 110 or 220 volts...

But there are some pumps that vary their rate of pumping directly, relative to the pressure. In other words, if pressure starts to drop a little, then the pump runs a little. As there is more pressure drop (like taking a shower or running the tap full on for some reason) the pump will run faster and keep the pressure steady.

The bladder tanks are good and mostly reliable with a long history of use. However, the bladders to dry out over time and the tropical heat here does tend to break them down more quickly than in more temperate climes. I am sure they are a cheaper solution than the variable rate pump I mentioned. Anyway... Just mentioning that there may be more than one solution here.

At this apartment, the roof-top pump needs to be somehow repaired or recharged or something (I don't know what the landlord's worker does) about every 3 to 4 months because, over time, the pump starts to short-cycle - quick on/off cycles - that I know are damaging to the pump and also to the plumbing in the place. But I cannot tell you what the nature is of the pump/pressure switch/bladder? But I can tell you that the pump and pressure tank look exactly like the many I see when cruising through the plumbing section of various hardware stores - they are all the same type...

intrepid
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't know if these exist here in Philippines or for 110 or 220 volts...

I have seen them in several hardware stores and plumbing supply stores local.  Mine I purchased from Wilcon and the bladder has a ten year warranty.  Good enough for me.  Most of the local tanks will not last that long.  I build a small storage insulated roof shed attached to the back of our garage to keep the 1500L storage tank, filters, and water softener out of the weather.  Has been working great without an issue the past three years.  When first installed I boosted the pressure switch 60-80psi with no issues but now have it set 40-60psi.  Strange enough we are using no more water per month than when we had the local pressure of ~15psi.

IMG_2044.JPG

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, intrepid said:

I have seen them in several hardware stores and plumbing supply stores local.  Mine I purchased from Wilcon and the bladder has a ten year warranty.  Good enough for me.  Most of the local tanks will not last that long.  I build a small storage insulated roof shed attached to the back of our garage to keep the 1500L storage tank, filters, and water softener out of the weather.  Has been working great without an issue the past three years.  When first installed I boosted the pressure switch 60-80psi with no issues but now have it set 40-60psi.  Strange enough we are using no more water per month than when we had the local pressure of ~15psi.

That is a very neat, tidy and efficient system you have constructed there.:cheersty:

I found through experience that ~30-40 psi seems to be fine for all uses - even with two people showering or showering with toilets flushing or taps open... Glad your system is working. What is the brand name of your pump and bladder system?

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

What is the brand name of your pump and bladder system?

Euro Star.  Says made in Italy if that is believable. 

• Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

You should have a pressure tank and my advise would be to pay extra and get a bladder tank which will offer more supply in a much smaller size.:tiphat:

We have a main tank and a bladder tank to compress the water to different locations. I think that what it is?

• Like 1

Moon Dog
Posted
Posted

We found a guy who will drill a 100' deep well and install a 3" casing for P115K. We will be responsible for the pump and pressure tank. The 3" casing somewhat limits the type of submersible pump we can install but for the time being I'll go with a jet pump. That is my options so far, a 70' deep well with 6" PVC casing and pump for P200K or a 100' deep well with 3" galvanized iron casing and no pump for P115K. I had my mother in law talk to the second guy so he doesn't know there is an American involved.

Biliran is known for its "sweet water" and the water should be potable at that dept but I'll continue to buy purified drinking water from the store across the road. I worked in Mexico for a while and and know all about Montezuma's revenge.

Since I'll be using a surface pump I will be limited to a bladder pressure tank and that is OK. I've mostly had good luck with bladder tanks. The first house I owned I built myself as a project and even jetted in my own well point. The PH of that water was was around 4.5 and I had to replace the bladder tank every couple years so I'm guessing the badder didn't like the low PH.

My personal favorite is the air over water galvanized tank with the snifter and bleeder valve but a submersible pump is required for that style pressure tank. I have one at a rental property that is supplying water to 2 mobile homes and a small office and it has worked flawlessly for 25 years now. The disadvantage is the accumulation of sand or mud I've found in ones I have replaced. That can't happen in a bladder tank with the bottom inlet/outlet port.

Construction photo attached, thanks.

116871811_755270481775648_3337071404039009871_n.jpg

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Moon Dog said:

Biliran is known for its "sweet water" and the water should be potable at that dept but I'll continue to buy purified drinking water from the store across the road. I worked in Mexico for a while and and know all about Montezuma's revenge.

I am trying to remember the reason people stay away from wells where I lived in Biliran and, if memory serves, it has to do with porous soil and sea water leaching into the fresh water well . . enough to be non-potable.  But you seem to have that covered.  Perhaps you are not near the ocean.

Anyway, its all good.

Moon Dog
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Perhaps you are not near the ocean.

Anyway, its all good.

I think we are 100 - 150 yards in.

Moon Dog
Posted
Posted

I'm worried about the 3" casing. What kind of deep well pump with good capacity fits in a 3" casing? I see 2" submersible pumps on Lazada but 1/2 hp is the largest one of those I could find. I would like a 1 hp pump for 2 houses. There is a plumber among the crew so I'll have my father in law ask him. Anyone have a 3" well?

• 5 months later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 8/6/2020 at 4:24 PM, intrepid said:

IMG_2044.JPG

We are having problems with our pressure tank. First, the pipe going to the water pump leaked flooded the floor. Got that fixed now the pressure seems high 50 psi, on the label of the tank it says 20 psi. Is the Bladder tank the some as a pressure tank?

Had the water system for 6 years.